ECU tuning for our GTs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 12:56 am Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

ECU tuning for our GTs

I've been in email contact with the folks at Boxer Design/DS about tuning for our GTs and they confirmed yesterday that they can and will do tuning for our GTs, even though it's not listed on their website currently.

The cost is kind of high, but I'm curious enough that I'll probably try it after I get my Remus can and Evo intake kit installed.

They replied with this when I asked them about what base version of BMW CIP they use or install (if any) :

you should go to your BMW dealer and have the latest software installed. Then send us the ECU. DS Motorsport will only overwrite the fuel and ignition maps. If you upgrade the software after letting us flash the maps, then the BMW dealer will erase the fuel maps. The software from DS Motorsport will not upgrade your ECU to BMW's latest software version.

So obviously you want to be pretty happy with whatever software version you're currently running before doing this or you'll be hatin' life. They do offer an option that locks the ECU apparently so that BMW cannot overwrite anything, but you take your licks with that as you might imagine should you need or want to upgrade to a later version.

Here is their link if anyone is interested in giving it a go :

http://www.boxer-design.de/en/DSmotorsportee.htm

This is the fellow I've been speaking with if you'd like more info - nice lad and he's been very helpful about answering all of my questions : Alexander Kienle - [email protected]

I'll be sure to report back on how it feels, if anything is discernible. The genesis for this, for me, was playing around with various aftermarket solutions for the issues some of us have with high idle, throttle and so forth. Exhaust + intake + tuning might not result in a lot of extra power, but perhaps it will result in cooler temps (no more airbox warping excuse?) and smoother low speed transitions with a richer AF ratio. We'll see.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 8:18 am
Strafist

That whole ECU tuning bit sounds great. The problem is? I don't want to live without my bike. I'm friends with the folks down at Rhinewest that make chips for BMW bikes. Where the hell is their chip for the GT?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 1:15 pm
JCW
contributor

There are no removable chips on the new K bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

They said turn around time is about 10 days...so I'd say 15 at the most maybe?

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode