Did I buy the right bike ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 12:11 am Thread Starter

Did I buy the right bike ?

Just got home from the first long distance ride with my wife on back. Drove 6 hrs.(3 there and 3 back) to see our son run track (hurdles).
My wife was beat to death by the wind no matter what I did with my CEE Baileys +4/+2 windshield. She is pretty much a non-whiner, and God bless her, loves to ride with me.
We have had several short runs of 1-2 hrs. with not much to do, mainly below 60-65 MPH.
But getting on the slab doing 75-80, I might have burned the poor thing out.

My question is, did I but the right bike ???
The GT is fine for me alone, but with her on back, it wasn't good for me either.
Do you think th KLT might be the answer ?
I know, let the flames begin.
-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 12:16 am

I don't think it would matter, the wind does the same thing to my wife. I did buy her a new helmet which she said helped. a shoei multitec. Forgot to add 60 seem better than 70 in her view
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 1:52 am
IBR# 366

The LT is an excellent two-up bike. With a Cee Bailey and Rocky Mayer seat it was the quietest, most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. My wife was so comfortable back there she could read a paperback while doing 80, and she could easily fall asleep in perfect comfort. And I could easily do 1,000 miles or more a day, and keep up with almost anything on the road (up to about 120 mph and through anything except for the absolute tightest twisties).

Now don't get me wrong. I love the GT, and it's definitely the next generation of technology. It's smooth, very fast, and will eat up the miles or chase the squids with equal aplomb. But it's just not as good of a two-up bike. The new '07 seats are much better for the rider, at the expense of passenger room. My wife definitely feels cramped back there.

And I've yet to get a windshield that works anywhere near as well as my LT. I get much more turbulence than I'm comfortable with myself, and my wife is getting beat up much, much worse. The fairing is just that much skinnier, and so we get a lot more wind around the sides. I've been talking with the folks at Aeroflow, and they may have a solution, but it's too early to tell yet.

Now if you've come off a sport bike, ride mostly solo, are used to being in the wind, and are more concerned with aesthetics than function, then most likely none of the above applies. But if you like to ride two up and/or cover long distances, then the GT could definitely use some improvements in those areas.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 6:47 am Thread Starter

Meese-
Thanks.
I'm coming off an '04 RT. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?
I've heard there are plans for an updated version of the LT, anybody know when that will be ?

Your description as stated above is right on the mark. My wife is a small thing @ 5'4"/110 lb's. I too, find the wind beating the shit out of me to be honest. My 6,000 mi service is next week maybe a test ride is in order. Are the older K-motors reliable ?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 7:58 am

It seems to me that you and the passenger...

...are candidates for a Miata.

Chuck V ('06 K1200S, granite grey, the FAST color)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdavey
I'm coming off an '04 RT.
If you liked your RT, The 1200RT is a nice improvement over the 1150's - 'course that's if you can get over how they look.

The LT is indeed a fine machine and the old 4 is a great motor, but if you're even close to 50/50 solo/dual the RT might be a better choice.

IBA 18417
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckV

Chuck V ('06 K1200S, granite grey, the FAST color)
CHUCK -
Perhaps you missed the part where I said I am 6'/280 lbs.
I would WEAR a miata!!!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 11:05 am
Enthusiast

Yep, those of us that come from the LT definitely loved the "two up" ride. Hell, we loved everything about the bike except the weight. As said before, it's simply the best two up long distance, touring motorcycle on the planet! No question.

And, yes, my wife hasn't been as comfortable on the GT either. That's certainly no surprise. Fact is, she only rides with me 10% of the time anyway. You just can't have it both ways...

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 12:17 pm
Veteran

I wonder if the problem is with the shield?

I'm getting some back-pressure issues with my CB shield. The amount of smashed bugs on the back of the shield seem odd. Seems like there are about 1/2 the number of smashed bugs on back as there are on the front - and they really are smashed well too. Since they've begun making their screens thinner, all the fluttering of their shield at high speeds must be signaling that there is some turbulence issues going on. I didn't notice it when it was about 2mm thicker than their new ones.

All that makes me believe that the behind the screen turbulence must be worse than the original in design.

Maybe that new Cal-Sci screen with the cut-outs would help (I love the fact they post all their competitors on their website)?

Or that new dual-shield laminar flow Aeroflow shield that is due out this month?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 1:12 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckV
Now that's just plain mean.

"If it's not a chrome-covered big-inch V-twin with straight pipes that will rattle your fillings loose, then it's not a real motorcycle."

See how silly it is to force your own preconceptions onto someone else? And yes, I've dealt with the above attitudes many times. I usually just smile and get back to riding while they're stills searching the parking lots for their fillings.

I do 25-35K per year, and haven't owned a car of any sort in over 15 years. So yes, comfort is as important to me as is handling and reliability. If I had a $20K toy that only left the garage on sunny weekends, then perhaps I'd put up with a few more quirks. But since this is my daily ride, it's gotta fit me, and it's gotta work under all conditions.

And yes, you can have it both ways. If they can build supersonic aircraft and production cars that top 200 mph, then certainly someone can build a proper motorcycle windshield.

In the mean time, you ride whatever makes you happy, and just let the rest of us do the same.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode