Our trip to the Alps - part I - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 2:55 pm Thread Starter
I'm riding

Our trip to the Alps - part I

Just returned from that fantastic trip - 10 days, 7000 km, 5 alpine roads and a lot of fun!
Left Moscow on the 29th of April - air t=+2C, snow flake blinking on the screen of my GT, snow flakes around in the air. Called at Auchan megastore and bought a can of black caviar - did not know why:-)) Traffic police officer was shocked when heard where we were going. The aim was - high Alpine passes in Austria.
8 hours later we were entering Brest, Belorussian-Polish border, 1050 km west from Moscow. Experienced a heavy "fish-tail" movement of the bike on dry road at speed above 160 km/h. Related it to the new set of tyres. Bypassed the queue of cars and got stuck at the check-point: 1 hour waited till the Belorussian guards shift changed then 1 hour the same with Polish side. Like 15 years ago.
Entered Poland around 9 p.m., managed some 100 km and dropped at a small hotel with the bikes locked in garage. Air t was +4C. Can't compare the new F800ST with F650CS. We do not need extra stops for refuelling and I do not even think about it before overtakes - that bike is same fast as KGT when ridden solo. The next day crossed Poland and came to Germany near Dresden - stopped in the city. With the help of my Navigator III found a small hotel. Navi works! Beer was good!
Day 3. The 1st of May. We headed direction Munich and reached it amazingly fast - the autobahns were empty. A lot of bikers - there was day off and the weather was sunny and warm. Decided to proceed forward till Garmisch-Paterkirchen. Stopped there, booked a room in the same hotel for the 6-8th of July for BMW days fest. That was really good luck - the last call:-)) The next day spent in BMW Motorrad Zentrum, Munich. The personnel was very friendly and they accepted my bike into service without prior appointment, checked it for that fish behavior(found nothing), up-dated the software at no cost(v.8.0.1) and changed the oil in the rear drive(EUR 48,-). The first 3 gears now shift better even I did not complain before the update. Same with power delivery at low rpm. Thanks a lot, BMW! We left Munich a little bit late and reached Berchtesgaden-the beginning of RossfeldStrasse. This is a high alpine road in Germany near Austrian border. So the next day we started the main part of our adventure. Hopefully the summer season has not yet started so the roads(and hotels) were empty. We enjoyed it! Never booked rooms in advance, just started riding and looked for a lodging in the evening. The dark side of it was that not all of the hotels were open. But we always had a choice. Did Rossfeld twice that day and came into Austria, had stuck vigniettes on the screen. Used highway Salzburg-Villach, took exit Spittal - Lienz and rode through picturesque valley. Had a stop for lunch and continued. Lienz met us with rain. We turned towards Grossglockner and hesitated should we do it or was it better to postpone it till next day. Stopped to take some pics at the waterfall and met Polish bikers - one VFR800, a young man with his wife. They were going to do it and we joined them. But when the roads began climbing we overtook him because we were solo and much faster in the kerbs. At the top of Grossglockner was -1C but sunny/mixed clouds and only 6 bikes- 3 Dutch, 2 Russian, 1 Polish. Then an Ukranian car appeared. The Dutch guys took pics of our reg plates - there friends would not believe them that they met Russian bikes on the top.:-)) And everybody everywhere asked the same first question: Are you from Russia? And Did you come here by the bikes or transported them by truck?:-)) Then we went to the Edelweisespitze and went down to the nothern side as the night was coming. It was impressive but the hairpins(more than 60) were easy and wide and with profile(positive chamber). Touristic. We founf a hotel at Fusch, in the beginning of Grossglockner road on nothern side and next day did it again. But not completely as the top was covered by clouds and visibility was 10 metres maybe so we returned to bikers' point and left it. It's a must-to-do. Will see how many bikes will be there in summer time.
To be continued...

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 3:25 pm Thread Starter
I'm riding

Some pics here. Asd usual I had difficulties with upload, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rossfeld.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	5082   Click image for larger version

Name:	grossg-waterfall.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	5083   Click image for larger version

Name:	gros-up.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	5084   Click image for larger version

Name:	gros-kaiser.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	5085   Click image for larger version

Name:	gros-edelw.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	5086  

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 3:27 pm Thread Starter
I'm riding

One more..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikerspoint.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	5087  

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 5:04 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Sounds like you had a blast!

Thanks for sharing and love the pics! Makes me want to get back out there right now!!

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 12:13 am

Look like a lot of fun.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 3:15 am
IBR# 366

Great pics, Vladimir. Thanks for sharing.

My wife and I did three weeks from Wales, down into Italy, across the alps and Austria and back via Prague and Dresden. It was one of the best trips we've ever been on. I can't even imagine riding there from Moscow.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 6:03 am

Way to go. And I thought I was proud to ride 450 miles in 70degree f yesterday.
I sure am glad winter is behind us.
Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode