the Alps - part II - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 2:49 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

the Alps - part II

After we left the "Top of Austria" and washed our bikes in Zell-Am-See, we rode to Mittersil-Kitzbuhl. Very scenic road with wide sweepers and fine asphalt. Having nice weather we reached Kitzbuhl and stopped for a lunch on Schwarzsee coast. it was so beautiful there that we wanted to stay overnight. The next day we did that road in reverse direction to Mittersil and turned to GerlosPas. That pass is easy and not so high. We did it two times and exited it on the western side and desided to do a circle to Kitzbuhl-mittersil from the north and to continue then to Lienz-Spittal. That's what we did. The part Mittersil-Lienz turned out to be same scenic and fine as rom Kitzbuhl. We really enjoyed it. Found a hotel in a small city on a lake near Nockalmstrasse. Had some small rains on the way. The bikes were fantastic. Just one thing - on my GT the front seat heating was always ON (without switching it on and no indication on the screen). That was helpfull in the mountains but down there with air t=+16-20C it annoyed me :-)). Was cured later in Munich - we went there to do mods to my wife's ST.
Next morning started along Nockalm. More bikes and cars, nice weather - sunny but fresh and dry. OMG, so beautiful scenes of the Alps, so fantastic hairpins! Had a stop on the top and then another one on the northern slope. Continued to another high alpine road, not for tourists, SolkPass. The road was narrow and not of the best quality on the southern side but the top and the northern side were fantasic. The hairpins without barriers, few oncoming cars, no bikes, beautiful scenery and we stopped for lunch in a small countyside house on the northern slope. Very simple but very friendly people from the village. Without them and the young couple form the northern Nockalm slope - I would think that the Austrians were so fed up with the tourists and provided that they were able to find another source of income they would ban foreghers from visiting their country.:-))
That was Sunday evening and we had to take direction home. It's a pity the week passed so fast. But we needed to visit Munich once again for the mods. So we took again the autobahn Salzburg-Munich and spent that night on Chiemsee, some 100 km before Munich. It was raining for three hours non-stop and my bike was flawless in high speed - no fish-tail, nothing?! I was puzzled.
Next day, starting on the same autobahn but dry I had the same fish-tail story. WTF! Several hours later, having the mods done and my butt not frying any more, we headed home. The rain stayed with us next two days. The rainsuits were of great help. We overnighted in Hof, the last former West Germany town at the former DDR border and entered Poland. Fine highway to Krakow. Then started road repair works and we turned to Kieltce. Were unable to ride fast - heavy rain, awful side wind, narrow roads jammed by cars - there was a football match that evening Kieltce-Krakow so we got stuck and had to spend the night in Kieltce. Small nice hotel with locked garage for the bike and guarded territory. One more day in the rain and side wind(always from the left) and we were in Minsk, Belorussia. The 9th of May, the Victory Day, we were in the city centre among thousands of people watching the salut(fireworks).
The next day we came home. Sweet home :-)) Two day later than the pre-planned because of the mods( there are no spare parts in Moscow avaliable still but the bike is really different, ST I mean) and rain and wind and football match. More impressions and emotions that during previous 6 months. Different countries, roads,people...
I must say that I was impressed by the people in Germany - so friendly towards us in both West and East parts, very correct and attentive on autobahns, tolerant to bikers. And if they new a few words in Russian they tried to speak. In Garmisch the hotel manager was Scottish and he told me that he wanted to study Russian because they had a lot of guests from our country. Contrary to situation in Poland - they seem to live in the past era pretending not to understand Russian. But nobody refused the money and it looks so clumsy :-)) As the result - not so many people from Russia travel across Poland, business travellers prefer to fly, bikers - to take a ferry from Finland to Germany. We will do it next time.
A lot of questions about the bikes : one of the most popular was "How long you are able to ride non-stop?" and "How many km you can do in one day?" :-)) BMW bikes rock!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schwarzsee.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	5088   Click image for larger version

Name:	noc-1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	5089   Click image for larger version

Name:	nock-1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	5090   Click image for larger version

Name:	nock-2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	5091   Click image for larger version

Name:	nockalm-river.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	5092  

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 2:51 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

More pics here
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nock-house.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	5093   Click image for larger version

Name:	ockalm-bottom.gif
Views:	59
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	5094   Click image for larger version

Name:	chiemsee.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	5095  

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 6:21 am

So Vladimir, what's up with the fishtailing?

I've noticed this in the past on my GT, especially when I had the large rear topcase on, this 'squirrely' feeling, especially when approaching an 18wheeler. I switched to the smaller rear topcase and that 'squirrely' feeling is less noticeable. Could this have something to do with the large amount of fairings we present ot cross-winds? Would a naked bike exzperience the same?

I've also played around with the preload and found thaqt it definitely helps to diminsh that feeling.

I'd be interested to hear how some of the other guys are feeling about this.

By the way, yesterday I did a 'Mother's Day Run' for my wife down to D.C. She had seen this bauble and wanted to order it by phone. I said, "Why bother, Honey. I'll just take the bike and go get it for you!"(heh, heh, heh). 450 miles later she was very happy, and so was I.

I'm running Z6's on mine now. I rode through a torrential rainstorm on the PA Turnpike on the section where there are climbing S curves. I NEVER felt as if the tires weren't sticking at 70-80mph. Very impressed.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 3:37 pm

Very impressive Vladimir, I spend a motor-vacation in Austria for twoo weeks in august last year -> one of the best I did, great curves and mountain views.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 4:39 pm
Addict

Thanks for the post...

So several years ago I spent a week in garmisch and austria, in a landrover. Enjoyed the alps, an saw all the bikes turing, that's kind of when I cemented, I wanted a BMW.....

Thanks for taking me back there.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 12:15 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by carldmd
So Vladimir, what's up with the fishtailing?....

Carl
Carl,

I had a call from my dealer yesterday - they did 12kmi/20kkm service and re-balanced the wheels. He told me that the rear rim needs repair/replacement as they added 45 gr during balancing. And that's a lot. This could be the reason. I am not so sure as the very set of tyres was suspicious from the very first mile. And still it is stable in the wet and fishtailing on the dry. I hope in Garmisch this year I will have a chance to talk to the reps of tyres producers - any of them, they might know the anwser. Will keep the forum informed, of course.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 4:31 am
IBR# 366

I don't know that I would trust your dealer, especially after some of the stories you've told so far. The best method is to balance the rim without a tire to find the heavy spot (don't just assume that it is at the valve stem). Then mont the tire, lining up the light-spot dot with the heavy spot that you found and marked earlier. Then see what the rim needs for weight.

If they think you need a new rim at 12K miles, then they should give it to you free under warranty. It's not like the rim developed a heavy spot all by itself, so it must have been that way from the factory. But somehow, I doubt that would work with your dealer.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 10:57 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I don't know that I would trust your dealer, especially after some of the stories you've told so far. The best method is to balance the rim without a tire to find the heavy spot (don't just assume that it is at the valve stem). Then mont the tire, lining up the light-spot dot with the heavy spot that you found and marked earlier. Then see what the rim needs for weight.

If they think you need a new rim at 12K miles, then they should give it to you free under warranty. It's not like the rim developed a heavy spot all by itself, so it must have been that way from the factory. But somehow, I doubt that would work with your dealer.
No, no, that's already another dealership. I changed it. I hope I will not see anymore the previous dealership. It's just the fellow I trust left the previous dealership and I did the tyre change there because they were the only place in Moscow having MeZ6.
I know it's a bit of a cat's fight between them but I do not care.
Referring to the rim - yes, it could be damaged because the roads here are just fugly. But I am sure it was not. 'cause I felt the new set strange behavour from the first mile but hoped it would go away with break-in.
OK, I will pick up my bike and check if it's cured by balancing. Touch wood :-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 1:14 pm Thread Starter
I'm riding

One more pic of the bikes: I added the side case protectors before the trip. Can't really comment on them as did not notice them. One of them was not stuck properly think it will fall out with time. FST with top case and the bag from CS.
This is up on the Rossfeldstrasse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03949.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	577.4 KB
ID:	5127  

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode