Have I lost it? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 9:55 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Have I lost it?

Seriously. I'm not sure if I have or not.

I left Wednesday to do the scouting trip for our Curve Cowboy Reunion . The ride was a blast and I enjoyed myself to the max. Did the 772 miles in 12 hours with and hour of that being stopped.

The next day I rode the local roads and had a blast, once again. The Ozark area of Tan Tar A is a different kind of riding. No spectacular stuff or scenery. But, it turns out to be spectacular. Instead of being "wowed" right away, you're kind of sucked into it. Verdant greens, rolling hills, old farmsteads with small lakes, real purdy country. But the roads.... they turn out to be roller coasters. No Dragon here, but still some good fun stuff to rip. You get air several times and then lay into some good sweeping switchbacks followed by more air. It didn't really dawn on me till I got back to the hotel how much fun I'd had. Jaded by Colorado I reckon.

But, that's not the problem, nor the point of this thread.

About six hours into my ride home yesterday, having a blast, once again and enjoying the goat snot out of the ride, I got pulled over. Just inside Sherman, TX, which is a leetle south of the TX/OK border, I was threading traffic. Been riding about 15 over all day. I came to a real jam of 18 wheels, saw a hole and took it with an abandoned frenzy. Coming around the last 18 wheeler, and in front of the line, was the pickemup of the Grayson County Sheriff, T. Thompson, and his faithful deputy, whom I had just passed at least 40mph over the speed limit. They immediately commence to pull my ass over. I slow down to the legal speed limit, points to the exit sign I was going to take and end up landing at a convenience store.

After all the proper documents are presented, Sheriff Thompson asks me if I was declaring a medical or otherwise emergency.

Looking as innocent as I could, I replied, "Why, no officer. No emergency here, I was just plain and simple hauling ass without an excuse."

He looked like I had just slapped him. They ended up LETTING ME GO with a verbal warning.

Another 4 hours later I get to Austin. I hate riding thru Austin. It is the constipated asshole, bottle neck of I-35. We plan trips to make sure we don't hit Austin rush hour. Every mouth breathing, text messaging, brain dead, lobotomized, drug addled asshat (get the picture?) is coming thru Austin at any given time of the day. It is a traffic jam nightmare and I detest and dread going thru it every steenkeen time. There are alternative routes, but it adds a few hours to your travel time.

So, I get to the north end of Austin take a look at the pigs in the left hand lane taxing the shocks of their mini-van while having a picnic in the left hand lane while breathing thru their fooking, food filled mouths and I snap.

While usually I try to be an ambassador of motocycling good will there was no more. I ended up splitting lanes, sliding across three lanes to make a pass and then back across three lanes, shifting thru the gears and bouncing off the rev limiter. I showed no mercy, was a total non caring prick and rode within inches of vehicles while threading thru them as fast I could go. One tap of the brakes, or jig of a steering wheel would have ended it.

On the other hand, there was a clarity, almost a psychic connection, as if I could tell what a car was gonna do. Some folks even got out of my way.

I ended up riding down another 25 miles of I-35 like that before I exited onto a country road to finish the ride to my house and came up onto a whole pack of Harleys rumbling down the road at 10 under.

On this nice and tweest country road there is exactly on long passing spot and as fate would have it, it was clear as I came up behind them. 120mph indicated on our bikes is 117. A few tried to break away and catch up. As if.

Last night, sitting in my gearage and smoking ceegar, I pondered on the insanity of that ride. I've seen kid's ride like that thru traffic and think they're nuts. I think I was nuts.

Has the intoxicating power and lightness led me down a path that could have no good end? I'm having thoughts like these, thoughts that are a lot like, and with a similar and disastrous ending, of Hilary becoming president.

But, dayem, what fun, but, dayem, have I lost it?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 10:08 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Seriously. I'm not sure if I have or not.

Has the intoxicating power and lightness led me down a path that could have no good end? I'm having thoughts like these, thoughts that are a lot like, and with a similar and disastrous ending, of Hilary becoming president.

But, dayem, what fun, but, dayem, have I lost it?
Seems to me that the question is more....Am I on the road to finding it?

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
Seems to me that the question is more....Am I on the road to finding it?
Grif, I too am guilty as charged with wreckless driving when on the GT. It just induces this sort of confidence when riding. I guess knowing that you have 150+ ponies to call on at any given moment and the ability to toss out an anchor the size found on aircraft carriers when needed is confidence building. While I argue that one should only play at such speeds on a closed track, I find it hard to keep it under 90 at any given time. The GT just loves to run. Just keep in mind, Grif, that you are a valued member here and elsewhere to friends and family, and if, due to childlike glee on the GT, you were lost....it would suck. So keep it sane.....

F

05LT
07GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Enthusiast

The question that begs the answer

By questioning your own sanity, it's safe to say you are sane, but insane when coupled with power. It takes a great deal of control to keep it down on high powered machinery and I've lost that battle more than once. 172 indicated in my car, 135 on the K bike; each time I kick my ass royally for allowing myself to get caught up with the haste of the ride or the anger associated with a cager.

Personally I would have freaked at that 'near' ticket and that would have curbed my speed. I've been through Austin and still remember the time when I saw a mattress flutter on a truck, make the conscious decision to change lanes just to have it fly by me as it separates from the host. Pucker factor 8, elation 10. That I-35 gave me other reasons to remember it as well, especially around construction.

If this become a trend, I'd be worried. But for now you seem to be doing the right thing by kicking your own ass. I would be doing the same thing.

My dealer told me to use the cruise control, not to rest the wrist, but to keep the speed down. It seems to work when the opportunity presents itself.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Addict

You haven't lived if you've never had one of those moments that you've done something and later realized that was completely nuts but you managed to walked away unscathed. The trick is to tuck that moment away for story telling over beer with your buddies and not repeat it. In all seriousness, I'm extemely lucky to not have A. My motorcycle impounded and gone jail B. Paid outrageous traffic fines and court costs. C. Gotten hurt or killed. D. All of the above.

Grif, you did the right thing by taking a sanity check. Next time you get the urge though, instead of twisting the throttle, take a break. It works.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care and ride safe!

John 06 KGT
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 6:28 pm

Grif...

Just the thought of doing what you mentioned sends shivers down my spine. In a good way.

I don't do it often, but when I do the buzz is good for a week.

Then I feel reel stoopit for a while.

Brian
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 8:04 pm
Let's Ride

Grif, Do you find it hard to participate in group rides? Do you want (run) the bike but don't want to be rude or worse endanger fellow rider's safety with too brisk of a pace?

I think you did the right thing by experimenting with the "intoxicating power and lightness" of the GT2 when alone and in the zone. This should make the in town commute or group riding more relaxing because you know you could and have "just plain and simple hauled ass without an excuse."

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 10:10 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
Grif, Do you find it hard to participate in group rides? Do you want (run) the bike but don't want to be rude or worse endanger fellow rider's safety with too brisk of a pace?
I don't really like group rides unless I know the folks or know how they ride thru other friends. We did a Big Bend run and this feller was invited that had no business riding. He had had several heart attacks and a stroke. He couldn't park, nor back his bike out, this included gas stops. We were forever waiting for him and he completely unsuited at every single stop and took 1/2 hour to resuit. He scared me and I was just waiting for him to crash or hit one of us. Lesson learned.

I won't endanger anyone else when riding, usually know my fellow riders capabilities and they know that when the bug bites to ride their own ride.

One thing I like to do when riding with friends: after passing a cage, I'll pop out in the other lane to let the folks behind know it's kewl to go. I'll usually stay there (if it's clear) with my turn signal on till everyone gets passed.

-=grif=-
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 11:55 pm
Let's Ride

"One thing I like to do when riding with friends: after passing a cage, I'll pop out in the other lane to let the folks behind know it's kewl to go. I'll usually stay there (if it's clear) with my turn signal on till everyone gets passed."
__

I group (4-bikes) that I like (trust) to ride with have learn to use FRS radio's. The lead bike passes then gives the traffic report. As each bike passes we pull all the way to the right making room for the next bike in case of a tight squeeze.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 6:58 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
As each bike passes we pull all the way to the right making room for the next bike in case of a tight squeeze.
I pull all the way gone, so there is no squeeze!

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode