Space under the Pillion Seat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

Question Space under the Pillion Seat

Pretty easy to tell I'm in the midst of farkling my bike!!

Under the pillion seat is a shallow box which holds what BMW calls the "tool set." In that box there are three threaded posts. Anyone know what goes there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 3:33 pm

Perhaps the bike alarm?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 5:18 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeknott
Perhaps the bike alarm?
Only if you have that option

... otherwise it'll be empty and free to use to your liking.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Well, THIS is interesting. On the underside of my pillion seat is an area with a depression and one of those thick rubber straps, like to hold a tool roll (which is not there). On the bike itself, sitting on the top of the fender well and right behind the ECU, is a kind of a plastic box with no top. But mine is not empty. There is a smaller black box which is obviously an electronics box sitting in it, which is screwed into place by THREE SCREWS into the bottom of the larger plastic box (so it sounds to me like this is what you are talking about). The black electronics box has a wiring plug coming out of the back side which goes into the wiring harness. But I don't have an alarm... at least, I don't think I do, and I wasn't told I do when I bought it.

My tools, which consist of two L-shaped torx wrenches and a screwdriver, snap into place on either side of the electronics box.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 5:47 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
On the bike itself, sitting on the top of the fender well and right behind the ECU, is a kind of a plastic box with no top. But mine is not empty. There is a smaller black box which is obviously an electronics box sitting in it, which is screwed into place by THREE SCREWS into the bottom of the larger plastic box (so it sounds to me like this is what you are talking about). The black electronics box has a wiring plug coming out of the back side which goes into the wiring harness. But I don't have an alarm... at least, I don't think I do, and I wasn't told I do when I bought it.
Do you have the RDC / TPC option? If so, that will be the black box inside the space.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 6:30 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
Do you have the RDC / TPC option? If so, that will be the black box inside the space.
I have the TPM (tire pressure monitor) option. What's a RDC?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 7:16 pm

I was once told that space was for the alarm . . . and then someone else said that's where the RDC / TPC option module was installed. I wonder what happens if a GT gets both options. :wtf

As for the rubber straps under the pillion saddle...that's where the user's manual goes.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
I have the TPM (tire pressure monitor) option. What's a RDC?
Same same. Everyone else calls it "TPM", BMW calls it "RDC".
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 8:20 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I was once told that space was for the alarm . . . and then someone else said that's where the RDC / TPC option module was installed. I wonder what happens if a GT gets both options. :wtf
I have both options, and that space is filled. Maybe we need to compare pics?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 8:50 pm
Enthusiast

Tool Roll

Although the manual states that's where to store itself (in the banding under the passenger pillion), I have the cheaper BMW tool roll stored there. It appears to fit fine (with adjustment) although it could chafe some wires if one is not careful. I think BMW should figure out a better way to connect the heater wires, I keep forgetting the seat is tethered. When will I learn.

Gone are the days of the /5 where everything was neat and tidy. My times change, I own a two wheeled car now!... as if my modest tools will work against this kind of voodoo. An extended warranty is required.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode