Windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Question Windshield

OK, from what I've read it sounds like I'm best off to order my new bike with the stock shield and then if I want more protection to order one of the 3 or 4 aftermarket shields because:

1) In warm summer weather I'll likely want the lower shield to keep lots of air flow and turbulance shouldn't be too bad.

2) In cooler air I can pop on a larger shield and get more protection from wind, rain, snow etc.

3) A new aftermarket shield is about the same price as swapping the original BMW shield for a longer one (which means for the same price I can buy an aftermarket shield and keep the original BMWer one).

That about it or anybody have any other comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 12:00 am

That is exactly what I do. Around town and on slower routes I use the factory low shield the bike came with. For anything longer I put on the Cee Bailey's +4, +2. The larger shield is great for reducing wind noise and keeping the bugs off my helmet shield.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 1:46 am

I bought the Cee bailey +2 +2 and I'm really happy. Way better then the tall stock Bmw shield. I get a nice flow of air with the shield all the way down and a nice still pocket of air with shield 3/4 or more up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 4:43 am
IBR# 366

I just took off a Cee Bailey +6 +3 and put on a tall CalSci windshield. The CalSci seems narrow, but the airflow is good so far. I haven't got many miles on it yet, but so far I get less turbulence and more smooth air.

The factory tall windshield (came with my bike) is still sitting in its factory wrapping in the garage as I had the CB screen added before I took delivery of the bike.

The toughest part is which after maket shield to choose, and how tall. Everybody's different, with different expectations. Getting advice from other s help, but like buying the bike, you really need to try it yourself to see what works best.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 7:14 am
Enthusiast

Take a look at Z Technik's new V Stream windshield for the GT.

Mike
'06 GT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 11:43 am
Rookie

Thumbs up Windshield

Hi to all, I am a new guy here.

Just thought I would throw another option into the mix here for a replacement windshield.
I have been testing a new shield from AeroFlow (www.aeroflowscreens.com)for a while now.
So much better than stock tall shield I can't even describe it.
I have tried the short shield a couple of times and it is just not quite clearing the air flow over my head, but it is so close.
I am currently running what will be the tall shield and it is fantastic. I have it set so that I look over the top of it while cruising on the freeway and I lower it when I get in the twisties (Every chance I get).
For reference I am 6' tall and have the standard seat set in the high position with heli bar extenders (1" back). I just turned over 16,000 miles on the bike (2007 K1200 GT), last 6,500 miles running with the AeroFlow.
These shields should be going into production very soon.
If all goes well, I should be testing the AeroGuards next week. They attach to the sides of the existing fairing to expand the quiet envelope for 2 up riding or poor weather riding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode