Seating Position - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Seating Position

Hey Guys and Gals,
I need a little input re seating position wrt handlebars and seat . I, like about everybody else hate the OEM seat because it constantly throws me forward (climbing the tank) and puts a lot more pressure on my wrists and extension required of my neck. i thought the Helibars would solve the problem, and they helped some. However it's still an issue. Would a new seat (KonTour, Mayer, Mayer, Russell, etc.) with more build up at the front solve this problem or would it just move my trunk to a more erect position making me have to reach too much for the bars. Anybody else with the same problem? Anything available to bring the bars back further? Almost makes me wish to have my '02 LT back though I sure would miss the thrust! Thanks for your feedback!
Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Rookie

Seating Position

Hey K12M5,
Funny you should be on about this. I have similar concerns...maybe not as pronounced as you're saying...but can empathize. Just read...can't recall where BUT...Wunderlich has some risers that not only bring the bars up; but back too. Also, Suburban Machinery....the folks who make those great peg lowering kits; have some bar adjusters in the works as well. These should be on the scene in June - early July.
And yeah that stock seat is a poc on such a fine highly teched machine! Had mine refoamed. Anything is an improvement!!!

BR
Crystal Gray Metallic '06
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 11:01 pm
IBR# 366

Ah, an LT convert. I had this exact conversation last night with another ex-LT rider, who has the same complaints.

My Bill (Rocky) Mayer GT seat is excellent. I sit firmly but comfortably in place, and have done two 1,000-mile days already (only 5,400 miles on the bike so far). I don't slide around at all, and I don't squirm no matter how many hours I've been riding. I did have them put me as far back as possible (longer '07 seat pan) to help minimize knee bend.

A lot of it has to do with your own dimensions, and what you're used to. The LT sure is a comfortable bike, if a bit heavy and relatively underpowered.

I put the Helibar risers on the day I picked up the bike. And yes, I need about another inch or so more reach. Helibar adds 25mm (1 inch) back at the highest stock bar position, but that's just not quite enough. Suburban Machinery has a kit due out soon that will also give 25mm back, but will allow for three height positions. I think that the tallest is still only the tall stock position though.

Wunderlich is also about to release a kit that will give 25mm back, but an additional 40mm height. I'm pretty sure this is above the stock tall position. If so, it might be just about perfect for us ex-LT types. It should be available in July, and I'll be chasing this one down.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 3:29 pm

As Ken says, a lot has to do with your personal physical makeup.

I'm 5'8" - 5'9", medium sleeve, 30" inseam and to get the bike to fit me the way < I > like, I put on heli-bars, lowered pegs which also move them slightly forward and a Sargent Low seat which does just the opposite of Ken's and moves the prime seat position closer to the tank but does not cause forward sliding.

Prior to the changes I was about ready to trade this thing off and get something else 'cause the bike and I just didn't fit well! Now, I'm happy and its a joy to ride.

Good luck on your search to make it fit you better.

IBA 18417
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 8:15 pm

I've got an 06GT and have all the same complaints. My longest ride has been three 500 mile days in a row. I know by a lot of guys standards around here thats just getting warmed up, but by the end of the second day the arm and shoulder fatigue I found to be pretty intense. I've got a Russell day long on the bike now but haven't had a chance to put on more than an hour and a half at one sitting. I did notice right off though that it doesn't push you forward into the tank. It was built on an original BMW pan and is noticeably higher when you come to a stop. Tip toes verses flat foot. Actually I think I'm going to enjoy having both as I prefer the OEM for around town for the stopping convenience.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 10:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicaldave
I've got an 06GT and have all the same complaints. My longest ride has been three 500 mile days in a row. I know by a lot of guys standards around here thats just getting warmed up, but by the end of the second day the arm and shoulder fatigue I found to be pretty intense. I've got a Russell day long on the bike now but haven't had a chance to put on more than an hour and a half at one sitting. I did notice right off though that it doesn't push you forward into the tank. It was built on an original BMW pan and is noticeably higher when you come to a stop. Tip toes verses flat foot. Actually I think I'm going to enjoy having both as I prefer the OEM for around town for the stopping convenience.
You gotta love the Day Long !
I love mine.
I've got alot relatives there in Wyandotte.
I was welped in St. Clair Shores.
Son of a pollock.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 7:01 am

Hope you're right about the seat. I see you bought the right color GT thats for sure.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 5:34 am

refoaming your '06 GT seat yourself?

Has anyone refoamed your own seat? If so, what kind of foam did you use? I would like my seat redone to keep me from sliding forward against the tank. I appreciate your help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 9:12 am

Back to the original question:

The heli-bar adapter DOES NOT require any
re-cabling for use.
I gotta believe the wunderlich, if it does what it says has to lengthen the cables ???
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 1:27 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdavey
Back to the original question:

The heli-bar adapter DOES NOT require any re-cabling for use.
I gotta believe the wunderlich, if it does what it says has to lengthen the cables ???
I don't know, as I don't have the Wunderlich setup yet.

Some cables may be fine as is, some may need to be rerouted, and if both of those options fail, maybe some will need to be replaced. We'll find out once these kits get released and folks start installing them.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode