You can't plan far enough ahead - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 11:35 am Thread Starter

You can't plan far enough ahead

Last week on 5/9 I put an order into Cee Bailey's for a +4/+2 windshield anticipating a ~1k mile trip I'll be taking weekend of June 1. Two days after placing the order I got talked into (a real arm twister I tell ya!) a quick ride out to Vegas that will happen the week before, a bit over 4k mi. I called CB to see if I had an early enough production date to upgrade my shipping and get the tall window in time but it wasn't to be. On my initial order they had quoted 7-12 business day lead time and it's looking like the larger number. So.. no chance of getting it before the Vegas trip and slim/none on the following week (400 mi one way isn't enough for my cheap self to justify the overnight shipping bucks).

Moral of the story: don't wait till a month before to order anything custom. As a certifiable project manager I should have known better, i.e. take the pessimistic estimate and double it. Don't take this as a knock on CB, as they are working within their quote and were kind enough to respond to my query despite that. In fact, the guy I spoke with offered to watch it and follow up with me next week and I declined since only the earlier trip was one I'd ask someone to do the extra mile thing for.

Soooo.... if there's anyone that happens to have a +3-5 tall aftermarket screen lying around that they didn't like cause it was too clear or quiet or something and it's not too cobbled up send me a PM - I might be interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 12:51 pm
Enthusiast

I ordered a +4+2 and it was so wide you looked through it when you checked your mirrors - not good. Also there was considerable optical distortion which I didn't have on my previous CB. I sent it back. I may try the VStream next. Just fyi.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 2:22 pm

Ah well it is warm in Vegas, you'll likely want more air anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
I ordered a +4+2 and it was so wide you looked through it when you checked your mirrors - not good. Also there was considerable optical distortion which I didn't have on my previous CB. I sent it back. I may try the VStream next. Just fyi.
Was that +4 high/+2 wide? That's only an extra inch on both sides...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
Ah well it is warm in Vegas, you'll likely want more air anyway.
My issue is more the buffeting. A +4" windshield puts the lip right below line of sight for me with the adjustment all the way up. With the stock windshield I literally must crouch down on the tank to get quiet air. I can lower the screen for short stretches but that just trades buffeting for wind noise.

Also once the temp gets over 105-110 you really don't want that wind. It's like riding into an open oven. Fortunately the forecast for next week is high 90's so it won't be bad at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode