Cee Baileys screen thickness increased - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Cee Baileys screen thickness increased

Hi all,

I had one of the first Cee Bailey screens ordered back in July 2006. It was a +5"/+3".

I've had some problems with it at high speed (+235 km/h, +147 mph) and to cut a long story short I will change to a CB +4"/+3" screen now, since that size fits me better, height wise.

I have noticed on the CB website that the screen thickness now is 0.250, rather than 0.187 back then? Has anyone noticed this? The screens should now be around 34% thicker? Or about the same, if not a tad thicker than the BMW OEM screen. Just measured it up and the stock screen is 0.209 thick.

My first reaction when I got the CB +5/+3 was that it was a bit thin. And it fluttered and wiggled at high speed. Apparently CB changed the thickness, which I applaud!

Anyone out there that received the 0.250 recently? Is it really thicker than the stocker?

Rgds

Luc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 3:15 pm
Veteran

I've posted about this before. They seem pretty inconsistent in their thickness - along with the supplies they give you.

First one, purchase from them, was thick, maybe 6mm or 1/4 inch and came with a bottle of their polish and wipes.

Second one, from dealer due to accident, was thinner, maybe 4mm or 3/16 inch and no polish or wipes.

Now they are back to 6mm? Any polish or wipes with it? Did you get it from them direct?

I believe the stock BMW shield may be around 5mm and the first CB shield seemed much thicker than the stocker.

Needless to say, they did not respond to my emails about the thinner shield or the fluttering coming off it.

Mack
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Veteran

I am no materials engineer, but I would also predict the flexion of the two shields (stock and CB) would be dramatically different since the stocker is polycarbonate and the CB is acrylic.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 3:22 pm

I figured I'd update this thread since my new CB +4/+2 finally came in today (ordered on May 9). It does measure 1/4" thick. It actually looks and feels heavy as m/c windshields go.

In comparison, I also bought a used CB +5/+3 off another K-bikes forum member about 3 weeks ago due to an imminent long road trip at the time, after confirming there was no way my new one would make production in time and not wanting to go with the stock windscreen getting my head beat up for days on end. I'm not sure how old it was... I think the seller told me 6 months or so. So maybe it was originally purchased toward the end of 06. Anyway, that one measured 3/16". As reported, a little less thick than the stock shield but nothing out of the ordinary. The additional height and width along with the curve in the CB sure makes it look huge compared to stock.

I mounted the used shield up two days before leaving on my recent big road trip. I didn't do the ultra high speed runs that seem to contribute to the reported cracking. There were a few sustained runs at or near 100 mph, with one run up to 134 and a few not quite so far past 100. No cracks to report and the 3/16" shield seemed rigid enough. There were a few places on the return trip where there were mild cross winds (around 15 mph gusting to 30) and I noted nothing wrong with it. Of course that was a week and a half of riding and it might take more frequent stressing to bring on a failure. Who knows? I'm sure the mounting configuration doesn't help matters. All the stress is on a relatively small area in the lower center versus a more traditional fairing mount that attaches along the lower edges. And the bigger the sail...

Now I'll put on the new screen and then go for the obligatory test ride to insure it is in fact just right compared to the +5/+3 coming off.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2007, 7:22 am

I posted this in another thread, but I believe it warrants a re-post. I had one of the first shields they sold for the GT's, in fact I pre-ordered it, and it was fairly thin 3/16??. However when a company like CeeBailey's sells a shield, and it cracks within a year, and their response is, 'well, you've had it for a year?', this, IMHO is just unacceptable. Especially when they CHANGE the product, due to an obvious defect!!!!!

I will NEVER purchase anything from them again, and will do my best to make all aware of there 'customer service'!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2007, 7:28 am
I'm riding

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave
I will NEVER purchase anything from them again, ....'!
C'mon! Should they improve the product and drop the price twice? You would not still buy it?
"Never say "never"" - I do not remember copyright though:-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave
I posted this in another thread, but I believe it warrants a re-post. I had one of the first shields they sold for the GT's, in fact I pre-ordered it, and it was fairly thin 3/16??. However when a company like CeeBailey's sells a shield, and it cracks within a year, and their response is, 'well, you've had it for a year?', this, IMHO is just unacceptable. Especially when they CHANGE the product, due to an obvious defect!!!!!

I will NEVER purchase anything from them again, and will do my best to make all aware of there 'customer service'!
I posted the last bit as a data point contribution, not necessarily a product endorsement. But since you went there..

I feel very strongly both ways regarding your experience. :wtf

On the one hand, I can see them questioning the length of time and not knowing what kind of care and use it got for the duration. Also this was a brand new product when you got yours. As with anything else there's likely to be design improvements as enough product gets out on the market. I'm sure they have some sort of testing methodology but it surely won't predict all possible uses, nor account for that over the "lifetime" of the product whatever that is supposed to be. In the same fashion, look at the whole bike. My 07 has some improvements that the 06 models don't have and BMW sure isn't going back and retrofitting those with 06 models. Likewise, the 08 models will have some improvements my 07 could probably use but won't get.

On the other hand, I agree with you in that they've clearly improved the product "for no apparent reason." Which leaves folks like you (and me I suppose since I have one too) in the dust since there's no acknowledgment of what is clearly shaping up as a pattern of the 3/16" shields cracking. Not to mention that the new style GT screen has to make up maybe <1% of their entire production so it's not like a few replacements would bankrupt the company. Even if they satisfied some early adopters like you with a free or shipping cost only replacement it would go along way towards creating loyalty.

FWIW I read the negative posts about CB before I ordered. Having seen their product before, I chose to roll the dice on a new one. Since my used screen didn't present any trouble I've got no dog in that fight. The only negative I have put forward is that they claim 7-12 working days from order to shipment and mine took at least double that at about 5 calendar weeks. So far I can only say order from them if you're not in a hurry
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:56 am
Veteran

Thumbs down

I'm with BigDave.

Cee-Bailey's sucks!

They made a good shield, cheapened it by making it thinner, and then said "Bite me" to anyone who bought one when their cheap shield broke. There was no price change. They just made it cheaper.

Later, they made it thicker as they originally designed it and said screw you to all the people who got stuck with their cheap shield.

Yep. They suck royally, as does their customer service - or lack of.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 9:01 pm

I purchased a Cee-Bailey -2+0 dark shield last August. It is .25 inches thick, thicker than the stock shield. Rock solid at all speeds and no cracks with 15,600 miles on it.
Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
93 K1100RS
06 K1200GT
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2009, 7:44 am
Rookie

Cee Bailey thin shield

I had the Cee Bailey thin shield and it cracked around a mounting screw. It flexed in the wind to the point it scratched my fairing paint. My shield was two years old when I called and complained. They offered to sell me a new one for a $100.00 plus shipping. I choose a light smoked tent with w/plus 2í. Iím satisfied with the new shield. I felt they resolved m complaint fairly.
However, I did run into a guy that hat the same problem and they replaced his free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode