Sticking with the GT......For now - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Sticking with the GT......For now

Well, I took the new '07 LT for a hour long test drive yesterday in my qwest for finding the bike that does it all. I posted earlier about how momma gets beat up by the wind on my GT. Riding two up on this beast was my intention for alot of miles together now that the kids are gone.

To say the LT is a different machine would not be fair. The riding posistion was the utmost in comfort, the seat was soft and squishy, but doable. The "extra" weight was negligable to me. Now the handling was altogether a night and day difference, much softer than my GT. The motor and tranny were a pure delight, shifting was much easier than my GT, effortless is what came to my mind. The old brick motor had plenty of ass for mine and the wind was reduced to nothing for me behind all the plastic.

I met momma for a cup of coffee, and after climbing aboard she shouted out "now this is what I'm talking about". She raved on how perfect the fit was. Yep, the LT is "the" machine for two up I am now convinced, after the test ride.

Problem is: "I" still like the GT better !!!
Can't really describe it damnit. The thing just, just, does it for me.
So, for the time being, me and wolfie will try to find different add on's to help momma, that is until I am able to do what the other smart members here have done................
Buy two BMW's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 9:20 am

If you can swing it, look for a late model LT and keep the GT! Ask yourself this, if your wife didn't ride at all, which bike would you have? First priority is still what you enjoy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 11:39 am
Addict

I admire your resolve. When I went from the RS to the LT to appease the creature comforts for my wife, she was fine I wasn't. For 12 years I tried everything I reasonably could to put the FUN that I missed into the LT. RS tires and wheels, Ohlins race shock on the rear and special order white brothers springs in the front. Nothing worked to my satisfaction. Wrestling the LT around in the city was no fun either. And while others complain about the amount of air behind the windscreen on the GT I love it. Sitting behind the LT fairing and windscreen was like sitting behind a barn door. Total protection from the elements but no air. Anything above 65 degrees F and you start to roast in traffic.

I even tried the two bike route for awhile when I purchased MY 03 Ducati ST4s. Great bike. Total blast to ride but now I had two toys to feed and jockey around in my garage. Last August sold the Duc and traded in the LT for the 06 KGT and I didn't even get twinge of buyers remorse. This bike is perfect for me AND my wife.

Go with you gut. Ride what you want to ride.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 1:57 pm
Strafist

I got the LT for my wife and after 14 years she woke up and decided life was too short to stare at the back of my helmet for thousand mile days. She now flies to meet up.

Of course, that opened the door for the GT.

Though I find the LT to be a beautiful bike and spent 108,000 glorious miles on her, I'm not looking back. Randy told me the GT just kind of grows on you and the more I ride it, the more it does.

I'm sitting in the Rio Grande Valley (McAllen, TX) right now. Made up all kinds of excuses why I couldn't ride in the cage with everybody to this wedding. My wife (man, I love her) had a light go on, she understands me perfectly on this one, and said, "Oh, you wanna ride". And ride I did.

What's funny is the kid's at this wedding (the gal getting married is like another daughter to us) are bowing at my feet. It was only 280 miles down here. They ride CBR's, GXSR's, etc. Hell, I could make this ride on one of those. Pussies.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
What's funny is the kid's at this wedding (the gal getting married is like another daughter to us) are bowing at my feet. It was only 280 miles down here. They ride CBR's, GXSR's, etc. Hell, I could make this ride on one of those. Pussies.
Pussies it right. I did 455 miles on my Buell Blast...ONCE.

Kate actually likes to be on the GT unless she is on her Burgman. I'm not sure why - there isn't a lot of room back there (she is 6'1" and 155 lbs). I think my svelte stature may help block some of the wind though.

I haven't been able to ride an LT with Kate on the back, but we have sat on one on the showroom floor. While not ruled out for her, she did comment that it fet more to her like being in her living room than on a motorbike - the whole point of riding.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode