I think I missed a symptom with my original final drive. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Red face I think I missed a symptom with my original final drive.

Yesterday, I gave my GT a good detailing so the rear wheel was as clean as showroom. Today, I went out for a casual 150-mile day ride. When I returned home I was just putzin' around the garage, looking over the bike and what-not. To my amazement, my rear wheel is still spotless. This has to be the first time EVER that I've gone for a ride and returned home with a squeaky clean rear wheel. I think my original final drive was leaking fluid from Day One, and I just missed the signs. Perhaps I just chalked it up to road grime, or brake dust, or, or, or... They don't call me the 'Village Idiot' for nothin'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 12:52 am
Veteran

Maybe your right, but I get a lot of road oil on both my rims and the dust sticks to them. Usually happens before the winter season when the road crews slosh the stuff all over.

I put that magnetic plug in mine just for a safety check. Oil that dripped out (Amsoil) was perfectly clear straw yellow color.

It's been in there for 4500 miles now after I changed it at 1500 miles. I don't know if any dealer has changed it, but I doubt it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 8:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yesterday, I gave my GT a good detailing so the rear wheel was as clean as showroom. Today, I went out for a casual 150-mile day ride. When I returned home I was just putzin' around the garage, looking over the bike and what-not. To my amazement, my rear wheel is still spotless. This has to be the first time EVER that I've gone for a ride and returned home with a squeaky clean rear wheel. I think my original final drive was leaking fluid from Day One, and I just missed the signs. Perhaps I just chalked it up to road grime, or brake dust, or, or, or... They don't call me the 'Village Idiot' for nothin'!
Greeeeaaaaattt !!!
I'm screwed.
I always have a collection of grimey crap on the rear rim.
So whats the best course of action Joe, Joe ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 12:30 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdavey
Greeeeaaaaattt !!!
I'm screwed.
I always have a collection of grimey crap on the rear rim.
So whats the best course of action Joe, Joe ???
I'm not Joe, Joe (and he's sure not me ), but I'd say just clean the wheel very well, then monitor it closely. If the stuff comes back, try to see where it's leaking from, then go chat with your dealer.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 6:45 pm

Exclamation Rear Wheel Grime

TONIGHT, JUST TO SALVE THAT NAGGING FEELING LEFT FROM READING YOUR NOTE, I REMOVED THE FILLER PLUG TO SEE WHETHER I HAVE LOST ANY GEAR OIL FROM MY REAR DRIVE. ......NOPE, AS SOON AS THE PLUG WAS WITHDRAWN, THE OIL DRIBBLED OUT. GUESS EITHER THE SMEAR IS EMINATING FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE, OR IT IS SO LITTLE THAT IT HAS NO EFFECT ON THE OIL LEVEL

RUSTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode