+5 +3 CeeBailey Just cracked.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 2:26 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thumbs down +5 +3 CeeBailey Just cracked....

Upper right (as sitting on the bike) hole. 105 to 110 mph into a 40 mph headwind......

Wonder if they'll warranty it?

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 3:28 pm
Veteran

Was it their thinner shield (i.e. 3/16") instead of what they used to produce at 1/4"?

You might have a shot since someone posted they recently went back to their 1/4" material they began with.

Of course, they won't talk to me about mine.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Was it their thinner shield (i.e. 3/16") instead of what they used to produce at 1/4"?

You might have a shot since someone posted they recently went back to their 1/4" material they began with.

Of course, they won't talk to me about mine.
It's 3/16.

I'll give them a call.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 8:19 pm

FWIW, my +4+3 has been tested to 150mph. :p Or should I say, "Sustained high speeds"?!?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
FWIW, my +4+3 has been tested to 150mph. :p Or should I say, "Sustained high speeds"?!?
That would be an illegal speed anywhere on US roads. Of course I know that you were on a track when you went that fast.

Brian
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 9:51 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
That would be an illegal speed anywhere on US roads. Of course I know that you were on a track when you went that fast.

Brian
Well YES!!! Of course!!! DUH! A closed, circuit track indeed!

DISCLAIMER:
These figures may or may not be factual. They may or may not have been obtained on public roads, private roads, a corn field, a closed circuit track, or an airport runway. messenger13 is NOT a professional, though he has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. No animals were hurt in the making of this post. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. This post reflects my thoughts and opinions. It does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of my wife, my kids, my fish, my cats (if I had one and I do not), my car, or my computer. All rights reserved. Subject to change without notice. Enlarged to show detail. Employees and their family are not eligible. Beware of dog. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Hand wash only. Do not fold, spindle, staple, or mutilate. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. Void where prohibited. No warranties expressed or implied. User assumes all liabilities. Not liable for damages due to misuse. An equal opportunity employer. Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. No shirt, no shoes, no service. Quantities are limited. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Quality may vary. No parking. No Standing. No Solicitors. No Spitting. No Kidding. Post No Bills. No substitutions. No one under 17 admitted. Keep away from direct sunlight. Limited one per family. No money down. No purchase necessary. Cash and carry. You do not need to be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear. Breaking seal voids warranty. Has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Action figures sold separately. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models are over 18 years of age. Available in fine stores everywhere. Take a number please. Preservatives added to improve freshness. Safety goggles must be worn at all times. Hard hat area. Sealed for your protection. The buck stops here. Call before you dig. Add toner. Place stamp here or post office will not deliver. For external use only. If a rash, redness, irritation, or swelling develops, discontinue use and consult your physician. Use only with proper ventilation. Sanitized for your protection. Avoid extreme temperature. Store in a cool dry place. Refrigerate after opening. Keep away from open flame. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash, rinse, repeat. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near any magnetic source. May be hazardous to your health. We're not in Kansas any more. Hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go. Slippery when wet. For official use only. Not affiliated with with any government agency. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Trespassers will be prosecuted. No animals were harmed in the making of this film. No salt, MSG, or artificial color added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. If symptoms persist, call 911. The white zone is for passenger loading and unloading only. Contents under pressure. Restaurant packaging, not for resale. Pull down, then tear up. Contents may settle during shipment. Sign here without admitting guilt. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Driver does not carry cash. Odds are determined by the number of entries received. Subject to approved credit. Do not use if pregnant. Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it. The check's in the mail. Blow is just an expression. Keep away from children. Tastes great-Less filling. Other sizes available. Any resemblance to any person or persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Contents may be hot. Some assembly required. May cause anal leakage. Dangerous to fish and other animals. Please wash hands after using. Auto pilot is engaged during flight. Substantial penalties for early withdrawal. Slightly higher outside the continental US. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. Other restrictions may apply. Your mileage may vary.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
My +4+3 cracked when I tested it during my simulated track day at the speed you tested yours....
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 11:42 pm
Addict

So THAT's what O.C.D. and A.D.D. mean! :yeah
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 3:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
My +4+3 cracked when I tested it during my simulated track day at the speed you tested yours....
Hi Sanjaun2,

I would be very interested to know if you have a 3/16" thick screen or the 1/4" thick one?

The same goes for Joe: what thickness is yours?

Mine (+5/+3) cracked both sides at 148 mph but sustained during at least 2 to 3 miles on the German Autobahn (yep, it is legal over there!). The cracks are 3" long. Shield thickness was 3/16" (or 0.187 as CB labels it).

The GT had still power left, but since it was my first day of a 7 day trip I didn't take the chance to go further and be left with a shattered screen. So I backed off, but the cracks didn't get bigger after that.

Went for a +4/+3 now, but demanded the 0.250 thickness explicitly.

What seems to be common here is that once you reach 150 mph (as Hazard has experienced) the thinner screens (3/16") seem to be unable to handle the load. Maybe that is the reason why CB went back to the thicker material?

Rgds

Luc
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 10:21 am Thread Starter
Addict

Anyone succesful ever getting CB to replace on the thinner screen? I think on one of the other forums, a guy from england was given a 25% discount....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucsch
Hi Sanjaun2,

I would be very interested to know if you have a 3/16" thick screen or the 1/4" thick one?

The same goes for Joe: what thickness is yours?

Mine (+5/+3) cracked both sides at 148 mph but sustained during at least 2 to 3 miles on the German Autobahn (yep, it is legal over there!). The cracks are 3" long. Shield thickness was 3/16" (or 0.187 as CB labels it).

The GT had still power left, but since it was my first day of a 7 day trip I didn't take the chance to go further and be left with a shattered screen. So I backed off, but the cracks didn't get bigger after that.

Went for a +4/+3 now, but demanded the 0.250 thickness explicitly.

What seems to be common here is that once you reach 150 mph (as Hazard has experienced) the thinner screens (3/16") seem to be unable to handle the load. Maybe that is the reason why CB went back to the thicker material?

Rgds

Luc

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode