Need help with front axle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 8:43 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Need help with front axle

Outside changing tires.

Back one no problem. Okay. maybe a lot of cussing getting it off the rim! My spanky-new Riders Warehouse portable bead breaker is a bit small for the 180 rear tire (turning handle upside down helps) and it will chip the rim (from welded metal tang) when it digs into the bead area, but nothing touch-up paint won't fix. Bead breaking was easier with it. Forget that "Bang with a hammer nylon chisel" thing they sell for breaking beads. It helps once the bead is broken, but not primary tool to bust the bead.

Also, the 60Nm (~45 ft. pounds) wheel bolt torque seems a little low coming off the RT models which was something like 105Nm if I recall.

New Avon rear took 34 grams of weight which seemed a bit much compared to the zero on the Metzler Z6 that was on it (I checked that tires balance before). No paint dot to align it.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand....

Looking at front of bike, pinch bolt off the left side. Got the big bad allen headed thing in the axle with a breaker bar but it refuses to break loose! Pit Bulls on front and rear (rear is just resting with the support in the final carrier hole).

This is not one of those left-hand thread deals is it? German Lock-Tight and heat gun needed? It has orange and white paint on the axle head and fork.

I sprayed some "Break-Free" on both sides of the axle and I retired to the computer to look in the swell BMW DVD manual. No help, as typical.

Is the axle counter-clockwise (normal) to remove?

I will assume that the calipers and fender can remain on the bike too since BMW calls the axle thing a Quick Change Axle (yeah, right!).

Torques look to be 38 ft. pounds axle and 14 ft. pounds pinch bolt (not that I object to Nm, but my wrenches don't speak Nm).

Tia.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 10:09 pm

I've had my front wheel off some 4 times now...I think. No, it's NOT a left-handed thread. FWIW, READ MY OLD THREAD HERE. Maybe you'll see something that'll help.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Outside changing tires.

Also, the 60Nm (~45 ft. pounds) wheel bolt torque seems a little low coming off the RT models which was something like 105Nm if I recall.

New Avon rear took 34 grams of weight which seemed a bit much compared to the zero on the Metzler Z6 that was on it (I checked that tires balance before). No paint dot to align it.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand....

Looking at front of bike, pinch bolt off the left side. Got the big bad allen headed thing in the axle with a breaker bar but it refuses to break loose! Pit Bulls on front and rear (rear is just resting with the support in the final carrier hole).

This is not one of those left-hand thread deals is it? German Lock-Tight and heat gun needed? It has orange and white paint on the axle head and fork.

I sprayed some "Break-Free" on both sides of the axle and I retired to the computer to look in the swell BMW DVD manual. No help, as typical.

Is the axle counter-clockwise (normal) to remove?

I will assume that the calipers and fender can remain on the bike too since BMW calls the axle thing a Quick Change Axle (yeah, right!).

Torques look to be 38 ft. pounds axle and 14 ft. pounds pinch bolt (not that I object to Nm, but my wrenches don't speak Nm).

Tia.

Mack
Mack,
Loosen BOTH pinch bolts then unscrew the axle anti-clockwise.

Tighten to the torque values as per owners manual.

34 grams is a bit much. When that happens to me I rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees.

I am going to mount a set of Avon 55/56 tomorrow. I have 9,500 on my Avon 45/46.

Norris Cooper Wichita Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
Loosen BOTH pinch bolts then unscrew the axle anti-clockwise.
No offense, but if you loosen BOTH pinch bolts, the nut on the left side of the axle will just spin inside the fork and the axle will NEVER come out. Only the right-side pinch bolt needs loosened.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 11:17 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I've had my front wheel off some 4 times now...I think. No, it's NOT a left-handed thread. FWIW, READ MY OLD THREAD HERE. Maybe you'll see something that'll help.
Thanks for the link. I spotted it earlier, just never saw anything about this stuck axle and what kind of thread it has.

I think I've got that socket and may try it. Might give me some more leverage. That thing is stuck! (first time off).

I know not to loosen that right one (nut one) looking at the front. Nothing to grab onto otherwise.

...back out to the garage...

Round two!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 12:32 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Arggh!

Busted the hex wrench in half with a three foot snipe after struggling with it for the past 1-1/2 hours! No wonder the dealer gets so much for a "Quick Release Axle" tire job. :o

Tried the inverted spark plug socket but it was slightly loose (I think the top is fractional and not metric) and it began to round out the axle so I stopped. It may work once the axle has been out of the bike the first time. I'm surprised the axle's hex recesses so deep.

This is not going well.

Tomorrow will be torch day like I had to do with those damn black Paralever bolts on the old RT. Had that German purple-colored thread sealant on those. Looks like glass when apart after heating up to "spit-sizzle" temperatures. No heat and it pulls the threads. I was amazed at all the yellow MAP gas cylinders at Irv Seaver's shop to deal with BMW sealants.

Another option may be to drive a wedge chisel into the relief cut for the pinch bolt? Impact gun? Dunno.

...and get a 5 or 6 foot snipe on the 1/2" breaker bar too!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 7:52 am
Strafist

Good grief. I had none of those problems. Loosened the right pinch bolt, let the air out of the back tire, put the front up on the pit bull, loosened the axle counter clock wise.

BTW, the leetle owner's manual that comes with the bike has the full procedure front and rear. You do have to remove the fender and calipers.

I agree, the rear torque does seem small.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
No offense, but if you loosen BOTH pinch bolts, the nut on the left side of the axle will just spin inside the fork and the axle will NEVER come out. Only the right-side pinch bolt needs loosened.
No offense taken, I was passing a brain fart. It's both pinch bolts on my 93 K1100RS.
I changed both tires today.
My front axle came out real easy. The first time I changed the tires I put Anti-seize on the axle and treads. Same for the brake caliper bolts and rear wheel stud bolts as they all mount into aluminum.

Norris Cooper
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 5:19 pm
Enthusiast

You need to loosen the right side pinch bolt only. That axle will come off relatively easy. If you are trying to loosen it with the pinch bolt tight it will not happen. If you loosen the left side the axle will not come loose. The problem is you do not need to do it. And then you have to realign the ABS sensor. If by chance you did loosen the left side it is no big deal. You can eye ball the sensor, get it as close as possible without it hitting. It will be just fine.

Bruce
Easthampton, MA
07 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode