First Ride on my '07 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 11:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

First Ride on my '07 GT

Hey Guys...

I picked my GT up in Dallas, Texas on Saturday!

I jumped on it and rode to Memphis, TN and spent the night with a friend of mine.

It was a 490 mile ride and let me tell you my first impression of the GT.

Got up Sunday morning and rode to Bowling Green, KY where I am in the process of moving to.

The power, handling, electronics, and fun factor is AWESOME!!!!!

The seat is the biggest piece of @HIT I have heard felt.

After about an hour... I think I developed hemroids!!!

I am 6', 195 lbs, pant size 33x33, athletic build.

The whole time it felt like all 195 pounds was being slammed forward into the tank.

Forgive me for repeating what everyone else has already said, but this damn near ruined the entire ride. It was terrible!!!

I had a Corbin on my K12RS that I enjoyed for nearly 53k miles..... The seat was never an issue.

The second issue was knee pain. I had the peg lowering kit on my RS from day one. Will a kit on this GT accomplish the same thing? It felt like my knees were in my chest. I tried the seat in both positions and it didn't help in either position.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated... I have to order a seat if I am going to enjoy this machine!!!

Sincerely,

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 8:31 am

Ya gotta squeeze the tank with your thighs when stopping or releasing the throttle - helps the jewels tremendously. I think this is the "sport" in sport touring. I don't even think about it anymore and have found that the seat, overall get's more comfy as I've adjusted from "cruiser" to "sport tourer".

Knee pain - make sure you're seat is on the high setting. I move my legs around a lot, depending on where you put your feet on the pegs and how you angle your hips (Master Yoda's Riding Position) I find a lot of room to adjust and/or change the leg geometery. If I get to day dreaming after awhile the knees will hurt. Between the pegs and sliding for/aft on the arse the bike is very versitile.

I'm 6' 185#'s with a 33" in-seam and this is by far the most perfect, excellent, comfortable, never an ounce of buyer's remorse bike I've ever experienced. Grif found some tank pads to assist with the squeezin' - I'm plannin gon adding those. Would also recommend playing with the handlebar adjustments - comfort on this bike is all about finding the right geometery.

Also, one of the biggest improvements I've found in ridability and comfort is hitting the gym. The bike is flawless. The rider is not.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 11:53 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpain

Also, one of the biggest improvements I've found in ridability and comfort is hitting the gym. The bike is flawless. The rider is not.
I'll ditto that. I've found this to be a much more physical bike to ride than the LT. Well, at least like I ride it.

I'll also ditto that moving around, from the balls of the feet to dangling by the heels, mixed with different back archings, to the way the arms are held (or aren't). Tons of variables.

I'm really starting to dig this bike!

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnash88
The seat is the biggest piece of @HIT I have heard felt.

After about an hour... I think I developed hemroids!!!

I am 6', 195 lbs, pant size 33x33, athletic build.

The whole time it felt like all 195 pounds was being slammed forward into the tank.

Forgive me for repeating what everyone else has already said, but this damn near ruined the entire ride. It was terrible!!!
8K miles in three weeks . . . no complaints here. You guys are all just wussies!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 10:07 pm
IBR# 366

First, congrats on the new bike. It rocks.

A good custom seat does wonders for this bike (unless you're just a numb-ass like some folks ). And I still don"t get this sliding into the tank thing, unless you're short-armed and pretty much humping the tank under normal riding. :wtf

I also have the peg extenders, but will probably remove them for the added lean angle. You definitely need it on this bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 10:10 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I'm really starting to dig this bike!
Are you finally falling in love?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
A good custom seat does wonders for this bike (unless you're just a numb-ass like some folks).
Better to be a numb-ass than a dumb-ass . . . like some "other" folks that ride GTs.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 10:47 pm
Just saying hey

When I first got the bike I to found myself sliding toward the tank some. So, I tried lowering the seat and found that position put more of the load on my legs easing that tendency to slide. I considered another seat but am afraid that the aftermarket seats wouldn't allow me to slide from one side to other readily when in the twisties I so enjoy.
While I've only put five thousand on mine after moving from an R12RT I've adapted and love the bike but maybe I'm just blessed with a hardass. I'm 6''1' and 215. I suspect the difference is that I have the low seat which I think is flatter and not putting pressure on sensitive places. I do some of the same things Grif mentioned; move fore and aft, change arch of back, foot placement on pegs, sliding side to side in the curves... The longest ride I've taken on it is only 500 in a day but I have no complaints. I suspect part of my contentedness also comes from not expecting the bike to ride like an LT. I don't think anyone can build one or two seats that'll fit everyones arse, IMHO. I sure hope you get it sorted out because these bikes are sooo much fun to run you need to be enjoying the rush.

GTpilot - flying low
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 1:26 am
Enthusiast

Like Ken I have never been pushed into the tank. I do get pressure on my butt due the tendency to slide forward, which increases the pain, but I never actually slide forward and can sit anywhere from the back of the seat on the sharp edge to right at the front against the tank. With the bars in the high position I tend to sit right at the back, because I am used to a stretch to the bars and now find that normal.

Coming from the Kwaka, which has a real stretch to the bars on the 86 model, even with bar risers, I am used to the forward lean and do not find that an issue at all, even with the bars in the lowest position. I do notice the higher and further to the rear pegs but I quickly got used to that change and don't have any problem with them now. At least I have never hit my boot on the ground on the GT like I did quite often on the GTR1000 or ST1300.

I reckon the best thing is to accept the bike as it is and adapt to it rather than trying to make the bike an LT. I would like a better seat though!

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:22 am

When you go to Canada stop in to a drug store and pick yourself up some asprins with codine. These work miracles when biking!! Oh..you do not need a script to buy them..it is over the counter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode