New GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 1:09 am Thread Starter

New GT

My name is Bill and a new 07 GT owner. Bought it at Honda of Hollywood, got a decent deal. Dig the bike, but like most everyone else, the seat is horrible. Kind of dissapointed with the windscreen also (very distorted). I kind of thought that paying a premium meant getting premium equipment.

Love riding in the mountains and even though she's heavy she's smooooothh.

I'm also new to the site and have been reading quite a bit on some of the problems with the bike.

So, I take the bike in for the 600 mile service in Hollywood but they don't change the oil in the final drive. I told the service manager that BMW recomends changing the oil and he tells me it's a sealed unit and doesn't have to be changed! He punches the vin number through the computer and says, "Nope, not needed." Is this right? I believe I read several places where the oil should be changed at this service.

I've got 1200 miles on her now and am thinking of using a different dealership for the service. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, she bucks at low throttle openings too when warm.

Thanks, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 1:33 am
Addict

Congratulations on your KGT and welcome to the forum. I have the 06 version without the final drive drain plug that was installed in 07. My dealer will change my final drive fluid at 6000 miles but he did say that it is recommended on 07 to change fluid with the first 600 service. Does your Owner's Manual show this as a recommended service? Having your bike serviced properly should be the last thing you should worry about so if in doubt, seek out another dealer. Many on this site have and are happier for it.

Did you get the regular or tall windscreen? I have tall windscreen and so far so good. I rarely look through it though. If I do raise it up for highway trips, I'm still looking just over the top lip. Search for comments on the aftermarket windscreens.

The seat. Some are ok with it. Most are not. I got a Corbin set up and love it. If you're looking for a replacement be sure to check out Russell and Sargent too. Plenty of examples with pictures of all varieties within this forum.

We talk about everything new KGT and then some so don't hesitate to jump in.

Best regards,
John 06 CGM KGT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 8:39 am
Enthusiast

My dealer said the same thing about the final drive oil change and it wasn't changed for the previous owner at the first service. However, on the service CD I bought from them it said that the final drive oil should be changed for my bike, which is the one with the non servo brakes. According to the CD the earlier bikes with servo brakes don't need an oil change!

At about 6000km they changed the oil for me free of charge while they tried to fix the low brake pad warning light that came on with hardly any wear on the pads and is still on. At least I have clean oil and the pads are scheduled to be changed under warranty on 13 June when it gets its 10000km service.

I have the high BMW windscreen and it is just OK. No distortion though.

Do you have the new 2007 model seat on your bike? I am getting one soon under warranty so I hope it is better than the original older style seat that sucks big time.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfmix
I've got 1200 miles on her now and am thinking of using a different dealership for the service. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Bill
BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County in Newbury Park. They seem to be ahead of the curve and unlike Hollywood, deal exclusively in BMW's.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 10:35 am

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the group. I live in Simi Valley and have tried all of the local dealers for my service needs. I highly recommend BMW Ventura as well. The only issue is the labor rate which I believe has gone up to $87.50/Hr. BTW, BMW Ventura changed my rear end fluids at my request and thinks it should be done every 12,000 miles.

Are you in the sound business as well?? I am a production mixer.

I participated in the Guide Dogs Poker Run yesterday and had a great ride up Angeles Crest. This bike is so much fun to ride. Other riders were very nice about letting me pass them in the twisties.

I did a ride in to Bill Mayer Saddles in Ojai for a new seat last year and have not regretted it once.

I look forward to seeing you on the road soon.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
2006 CGM K 1200 GT

Last edited by pdamski; May 21st, 2007 at 10:38 am. Reason: Rear end service
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 10:38 am
Rookie

Hi Bill. I heard the same thing from Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside where I bought by 07. Sealed for life. Talked to BMW's customer support number and was told that recommendations vary by where you're located in the country. That sounded lame. Check your manual like John suggests - I'd look at mine but the bike is home and I'm in Phoenix.

At this point I'm not sweating it too much. I will pull the magnetic plug out to see what's on it and what the oil looks like. If BMW says ride it I probably will. I've spent too much of my life being anal retentive about this kind of thing. That said, wave to me as you go by my stranded @ss out in BFE!

Regarding windscreens, our bike came with the standard "low" screen. It was ok but I read about all the other options and ended up with a CalSci extra tall screen. I am very happy with it. The turbulence is pretty much gone and I have a nice still air pocket. Highly recommended.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 4:52 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeKG
Hi Bill. I heard the same thing from Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside where I bought by 07. Sealed for life. Talked to BMW's customer support number and was told that recommendations vary by where you're located in the country. That sounded lame. Check your manual like John suggests - I'd look at mine but the bike is home and I'm in Phoenix.

At this point I'm not sweating it too much. I will pull the magnetic plug out to see what's on it and what the oil looks like. If BMW says ride it I probably will. I've spent too much of my life being anal retentive about this kind of thing. That said, wave to me as you go by my stranded @ss out in BFE!

Regarding windscreens, our bike came with the standard "low" screen. It was ok but I read about all the other options and ended up with a CalSci extra tall screen. I am very happy with it. The turbulence is pretty much gone and I have a nice still air pocket. Highly recommended.

How tall are you?

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 8:38 pm
Rookie

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam. Mark at CalSci suggested the extra tall after learning my height. In the full down position I can see over it ok but raising it a bit makes it a look through. I think a tall may have given me more adjustability but that's a guess.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys. About the final drive I'm going to call BMW of Ventura and see if their response is any different. Hopefully I can get it in soon and get it changed. Can't seem to keep the miles off the bike.

I'm 5'10" and have the tall screen, think I'm going to try the CalSci screen and am looking into either the Mayer or Sargent saddle.

Had a great ride on Monday with the old lady on the back, hit some serious wind on the 138 approaching the I-5! The bike was excellent. Cruising down the freeway at 85+ and smooth as silk.

Looks like we might be running into each other up at the "Crest", I try to do it on the weekdays though.

I'm not in the music business but in law enforcement.

Thanks again for all the replies and I'll post the outcome.
Bill
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfmix
Cruising down the freeway at 85+ and smooth as silk.
I'm not in the music business but in law enforcement.

Rusty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode