'07 seat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:57 am Thread Starter

Question '07 seat

Any feedback on the '07 seat..its supposed to be more comfortable??!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:53 am

From my experience, there are two different '07 seats. My '06 GT has an '07 front seat on it that is identical to the original seat. But BMW did redesign the seat since then. There's a thread in here that shows the difference between the two, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe you'll have better luck.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:57 am
Rookie

I've used both versions of the stock seat and find the newer one much superior. It is flatter, longer, and firmer. The pillion seat is also firmer and has a bit of a ramp towards the front that helps limit forward movement of the passenger. One side effect of the "improved" saddle is that the firmer foam adds to the effective seat/peg distance, lessening knee bend. The original saddle put me in a position where that became an issue as the miles rolled on - I don't even think about knee bend with the new seat. Custom seats as well as Corbin and Sargent would be another step up from the improved stocker, but I'm happy with the improved seat for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:04 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeKG
I've used both versions of the stock seat and find the newer one much superior.
Might be time for another warranty replacement. I'll call my dealer later on.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeKG
I've used both versions of the stock seat and find the newer one much superior. It is flatter, longer, and firmer. The pillion seat is also firmer and has a bit of a ramp towards the front that helps limit forward movement of the passenger. One side effect of the "improved" saddle is that the firmer foam adds to the effective seat/peg distance, lessening knee bend. The original saddle put me in a position where that became an issue as the miles rolled on - I don't even think about knee bend with the new seat. Custom seats as well as Corbin and Sargent would be another step up from the improved stocker, but I'm happy with the improved seat for now.
I have the new design seat and find it to be comfortable but I have not done anything longer than 300 miles at a time on it. Sargent has a seat for the 06+ GT but it will only replace the old rider seat. Because of the design change if you want to replace the new seat with a Sargent you will have to wait until both the rider and pillion are available....and the Sargent seat is based on the old BMW pan.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:15 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
But BMW did redesign the seat since then. There's a thread in here that shows the difference between the two, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I think that thread was lost in the crash......

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogie
Any feedback on the '07 seat..its supposed to be more comfortable??!
Hi,

I just got my seat exchanged today and did only ride 30 miles on it!

First impression is indeed it is a lot firmer than the old seat: wow: firmer! It is also a bit longer, at least that is my impression. You don't get throwed to the gas tank anymore.

But what stays in mind is that it is firmer! Need to ride a 500 mile day to be more specific.

So the first take is that is feels at least better than the old one. You don't sink in it as before and that is a comfy feeling for those long rides.

Time will tell

Rgds

Luc
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:08 pm
IBR# 366

The pics comparing the new and old seats are in this thread. Notice the different front/rear locking tabs. Also look between the round rubber bumpers and notice that the old seat pan (on the left) is rounded forward, while the new seat pan (on the right) extends further back there. That means a deeper seat pan, and more foam to sit on. This makes a noticeable difference, even if you have the seat redone by one of the after market guys. Also note that the top surface of the rider's seat is longer front-to-back, which makes the passenger seat shorter.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:16 pm

Thanks Ken. Couldn't find that thread. :o
The wife and I are going to stop by a BMW dealer and try out the new seats before I ask my dealer to replace mine . . . again.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:40 pm
Enthusiast

Joe,

Based upon your previous post, am I to understand BMW is replacing these seats under warranty? If so, that would save me quite a bit of money as I've been giving serious consideration to ordering the newest seats for my ride.

Mike
'06 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode