Another Stebel Nautilus install...on an '06 GT. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Another Stebel Nautilus install...on an '06 GT.

Nothing too difficult, or earth shattering here. Just thought I'd take some pics along the way to try to help the visual learners. I basically followed Grif's lead, and copied what he did. Why mess with perfection?

First, I removed the left and right top Tupperware. You may not need to remove the left-side . . . but that's where my front fuse-block lives.

On the right-side of the GT, you'll find the ECU is in the way of getting to the OEM horn's wiring. Only two screws need removed to get it out of your way, so why not?

Looking at this next pic should help you find the OEM horn's wiring...
The OEM horn's connector is just behind that wiring loom.

I used a small flat screwdriver to release the OEM horn's connector.

Next, cut some of the tape back. Just be careful!!!

Here's the OEM horn's leads exposed. Green/white wire is positive. Brown wire is ground (always on these BMWs).

I soldered a wire onto the OEM horn's positive lead. This new wire will trip the relay to the Stebel horn when the horn button is pressed. Make sense?

Here's the new horn's final resting place. I had to move it a little to make sure that the Tupperware could be reinstalled.

I like the end result a LOT. More than I thought I would. It's loud, but not too loud, IMHO. I especially like the way you can hear the GT's OEM horn first for about a 10th of a second, then the Stebel comes blasting through. Kind of a cool mix between "meep" and "HONK!!!".

I hope these pics are helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:41 pm
IBR# 366

Excellent pics, Joe. I need to do the same install in the same place. I already have plans for my ABS shelf space.

Did you take any pics of the bracket you made to mount the Stebel?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Nope...sorry. I just used a pretty sturdy piece of 1" metal strapping that had holes in it. It was actually a bracket that came with some lights I bought or some such thang. I used the lower ECU screw to fasten it to the bike...and then it's kinda sorta bent into a 'Z' and fastens to the horn. Not much help, eh? :o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:50 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Excellent pics, Joe. I need to do the same install in the same place. I already have plans for my ABS shelf space.

Ken, you obviously read none of my posts :wtf

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:56 pm
IBR# 366

I did see your posts, Grif, but thanks for the reminder. I was just thinking Joe's post would be more complete with that little detail. Maybe even a pic of the bracket all by itself.

I have some strap steel from another project, so I'll knock something up the next time I get the panels off. Maybe I'll even take a pic or two.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Dag Grif!!! Do we have to go over and install the thing for the guy too?!?!?! :wtf Leave a little left for his imagination, and the guy freaks out! He must be Hell to work with on a daily basis. (Poor Dayle! )
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:10 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Talking

Joe, EXCELLENT post! GREAT pics! Between you and Greg, I think the Stebel install is wrapped up with a pretty bow. Now when I go down to my son's house and help him install his, I can pretend to be Mr. Goodwrench and be a hero!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:15 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Dag Grif!!! Do we have to go over and install the thing for the guy too?!?!?! :wtf
Cool. When can you both be here? Or if it's easier, you could meet me in Toronto this weekend. It's barely a lunch ride for you, Joe. Oh wait, I had to leave the GT behind and fly in. Maybe next time.

Yeah, I can bend up a bracket. But it's the tech writer in me that likes to see complete directions and illustrations. Maybe I'll just add a few pics of my own to this thread, once I get back to the bike, that is.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe I'll just add a few pics of my own to this thread, once I get back to the bike, that is.
I had to leave you with something to show in your thread of the "perfect Stebel install".

(I'm bettin' he uses zip-ties and calls it a day!) :p
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:53 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Dag Grif!!! Do we have to go over and install the thing for the guy too?!?!?! :wtf Leave a little left for his imagination, and the guy freaks out! He must be Hell to work with on a daily basis. (Poor Dayle! )
I don't know about the freaking out thang. If I have to say one thang about Ken, he is about the most level person I've ever met. He smoothe just doesnt' rattle. Poor Dayle, indeed!

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode