Made a Mistake! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Made a Mistake!

Took the RS out for a ride for the first time since I got the GT (3500 miles ago). What a difference! The throttle is oh so smooth -- no flat spots, no sags, stable idle -- just like it should be on a top-end bike. What happened to BMW engine management?

Just to clarify the point, the mistake was not in buying the GT, it was in taking out a properly tuned bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:56 pm

The bottom line here is why don't we all receive properly tuned bikes in the first place? BMW's are sold at a premium price and I wouldn't mind if we received a premium product in the first place, but they seem to distribute their product and expect us to spend untold hours and money sorting their product for them. Unacceptable!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:59 pm

Smile

Me too !!!!! I took my 93 K1100RS for a ride today. Easier to ride in the hood and a better shifter ( 123,000 miles ) but I miss the extra 52 GT horses and on the road!!!!! The GT is a keeper!!!!
Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
93 K1200RS
06 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:10 pm

Judging by many other posts, I understand what you're saying. But I for one just don't feel your pain. My GT has run great right outta the box. And ver 7.1 only improved on that.

Here's to hoping that the next version of firmware y'all receive will smooth those GTs out.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:17 pm
Enthusiast

You haven't seen issues until you have owned a Moto Guzzi. The BMW idle is no different than that on the KZR1200R (had one). With the Centauro, by the time I got it sorted out I was tired of it and sold the damn thing. Pictures of it still haunts the Internet.

http://inet-rendezvous.com/MGNOC/centauro.htm

I figure some of the issues I have with my GT is adapting to its style rather than mine. After 5 BMW's I knew what I was getting into but the EPA reach is long and into my engine management system. But unlike Guzzi, there is decent support without having to join a group like MGNOC and learn the dark arts of fuel maps and decoding EEPROMS.

However, with the chop on the throttle, it makes for some sensitive lane splitting decisions so until I get it sorted out I'm sticking to the car pool lane until I can get to my mechanic with donuts. New bike, old headaches.

Last edited by beavtm; May 22nd, 2007 at 10:52 pm.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:58 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Judging by many other posts, I understand what you're saying. But I for one just don't feel your pain. My GT has run great right outta the box. And ver 7.1 only improved on that.

Here's to hoping that the next version of firmware y'all receive will smooth those GTs out.
I am with you Joe. My bike runs and idles at least as well as any other bike I have ridden. The throttle is sensitive but easily manageable. I have not experienced any of the idle problems or other gremlins in the fueling that are reported on this site and magazine road tests of the R, S and GT. I use my cruise control all the time, ride in very hot (46C) and cool (4C) weather, on long and short trips and I find the fuelling perfect. I would not upgrade my software in case I made it worse and it is currently on what ever version it was built with, the number of which I don't know.

I wonder if there are extra problems in the US due to stricter pollution controls? There could be but one guy from New Zealand posted recently with similar idling and BBS problems so maybe not. The only thing I have detected at all is an occasional pop from the exhaust when decelerating from 3000rpm on a cold engine.

My only minor gripe with the bike apart from the seat is the high frequency vibration at some speeds that is worse on overrun and is felt mostly through the knees from the plastic tank panels. However, even that is smoothing out as the bike approaches 10000km.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:51 pm
Veteran

As much as I liked my 04KRS, after only 400 or so miles on my 07 S, I cannot imagine going back to the RS. It was a great bike, but the new S is better in so many ways - so far.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 10:35 am

allikanbe1 As much as I liked my 04KRS, after only 400 or so miles on my 07 S, I cannot imagine going back to the RS. It was a great bike, but the new S is better in so many ways - so far.

I agree with Allikanbe1! To me the 02 KRS I had is a tank compared to the new GT. I loved that bike but I don't miss it. One thing I did which help the throttle on/off problem was to properly adjust the throttle cables. It still takes a fine touch but it's much more managable now.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 3:26 pm

I can't compare the new GT to RS, I never ridden one, but I had a test ride on a 07 GT and I can compare it to my 05S. The difference was enormous, flawless fueling and smooth shifting, any one who wants more in my opinion is very unreasonable (polite word on public forum) person.

Cheers,
Nick
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Clarification

Guys, I agree the handling on the new GT is better than on the RS. My point, in case it was not clear, is that the engine management on my '01 K12RS is far superior to that on my '07 GT. Why did BMW release a bike with inferior engine management, a problem some of you may be fortunate enough not to have but, from many posts here and elsewhere, plague a lot of other owners?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode