Side Stand - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Side Stand

I've been over to the local dealer several times, just looking over the GT.

It seems to me that the side stand is a bit short and the lean angle when parked is excessive on a flat surface. If you are parked on any sort of a downslope it would be even more pronounced and, I'd be worried about a tip over.

I know there are bigger feet available for the side stand, but that won't help the lean angle.

I currently ride an RT and it seems to be much more upright when parked.

Has this been an issue for anyone?

Also, the dealer has a heck of time getting the bike off the center stand in the showroom. The floor is a sort of polished stone and the center stand just slides.

There have been several comments regarding bringing the bike on the center stand. Anyone have any issues bringing it down, especially with bags packed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 5:14 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEdgar
I've been over to the local dealer several times, just looking over the GT.

It seems to me that the side stand is a bit short and the lean angle when parked is excessive on a flat surface. If you are parked on any sort of a downslope it would be even more pronounced and, I'd be worried about a tip over.

I know there are bigger feet available for the side stand, but that won't help the lean angle.

I currently ride an RT and it seems to be much more upright when parked.

Has this been an issue for anyone?

Also, the dealer has a heck of time getting the bike off the center stand in the showroom. The floor is a sort of polished stone and the center stand just slides.

There have been several comments regarding bringing the bike on the center stand. Anyone have any issues bringing it down, especially with bags packed?
No problems with the side stand in my leetle part of the world. I do puck it when on hot asphalt.

As far as the centerstand goes, the bike lives on an old piece of carpet in the gearage. You gotta watch the slick cement and the centerstand, fer sher.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2007, 12:13 am

Nearing 22K on my GT, and no issues with the sidestand at all. Seems like if they make them on the shorter side, people complain they lean too far. They make them a little longer, and others complain the bike sets too far upright. I don't know what to tell ya.

As for the centerstand, I just recently had mine replaced under warranty and this new one seems to function completely differently than the original one. It's easier to get ON the centerstand, OFF the centerstand, and the bike doesn't slide anymore like the old one did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
As for the centerstand, I just recently had mine replaced under warranty and this new one seems to function completely differently than the original one. It's easier to get ON the centerstand, OFF the centerstand, and the bike doesn't slide anymore like the old one did.
why was it replaced? what year is your gt?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Nearing 22K on my GT, and no issues with the sidestand at all. Seems like if they make them on the shorter side, people complain they lean too far. They make them a little longer, and others complain the bike sets too far upright. I don't know what to tell ya.

Do you know if your center stand is a new design?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 9:55 pm
Rookie

Sidestand

Have to agree with Mike; but need to ask how long he's had his bike. I got my '06 almost exactly a year ago. Both the points he raises jumped out at me from the outset. As Grif says...you gotta watch the slippery stuff...and, might I add the downslope stuff. This is one front end heavy machine. I have learned to be really cautious with parking...try to avoid slick surfaces. Same applies to getting it off the centrestand. Sometimes on slick stuff I get astride the beast and rock and push it off with my feet. I still feel the sidestand is short and for a heavy bike ( especially loaded) the lean angle can make it a bit of a bear to stand up. Heaven forbid you put it on the sidestand on a slope dropping off to the lefthand side of the bike...especially if wind gusts are coming across you from the right side!! If you're not an Atlas you might never stand this thing up!When Wunderlich brought out the larger pad, I called Santa Cruz to inquire if this would reduce lean angle any. Of course that was not its purpose. However the person I was talking to said that some kind of an add-on block or indeed, a longer leg might be a good project for an aftermarket company. I'm guessing that another 1" in length might just do the trick.

Ride safe, ride far,
Bryan
'06 CGM K1200GT
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:03 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuKGT
If you're not an Atlas you might never stand this thing up!
I had been in the saddle for 19 hours on my LT and when I got home remembered that my gate clicker was in the trunk. This is embarassing, but I had to call my wife to drive up and help me as I could not get the booger up off the side stand where I had parked. Of course, I had to try it again when fresh and the bike unloaded. Parked in the exact same spot and ended up having to call her again. Man, it took awhile to live that one down.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2007, 1:15 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Funny how I didn't seem to be having trouble getting my GT off the centerstand until others began to complain about how hard it was... then suddenly I began to have trouble too. When I'm sitting on the bike and try to rock it forward, the centerstand just slides. It takes a really healthy, almost violent, rocking motion to make it work. When I'm out and about, parking in the street and in parking lots, I park in first gear and use the side stand. When I'm in my garage and I know I'm not going to ride for a while, or if I intend to do some wipe-down, I put it on the centerstand.

Here's how I get it off the centerstand. It sounds much more complicated than it really is:

Stand at the left side of the bike, facing towards the tank and seat. Left foot just in front of the centerstand (to keep it from sliding). Left hand on the left grip, with wheel pointed slightly to the right (to make the bike begin to lean towards you when it comes off the centerstand). Right hand on the side of the passenger grip rail. Side stand down. Rock the bike forward. It comes off fairly easily, and it's pretty well controlled. Let the bike down on the side stand.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2007, 2:36 am
I'm riding

[QUOTE=chuckwilmot]Funny how I didn't seem to be having trouble getting my GT off the centerstand until others began to complain about how hard it was... QUOTE]

Same here:-)) Finally I was scared to take it off alone. Esp when loaded. Always have my wife at the opposite side. Just to be safe- sh does not even touch it.:-))
But use the centrestand very rare - the side stand is much more easy. Agree it's a bit short but for the even surface is O.K.. And on the left-hand-down slope it's real torture to pick it up.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2007, 5:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEdgar
(...) Also, the dealer has a heck of time getting the bike off the center stand in the showroom.(...)
No issues about the side stand. To get out: Left foot in front of the center stand, left hand on the grip, right hand on the passenger grip... never slides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode