$10,300 damages - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2007, 8:20 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

$10,300 damages

Hitting the deer at 55mph did $10,300 worth of damage. Can't imagine what it would of cost had I not been able to keep the bike upright. Only wish I had a mini air bag between me and the gas tank. Just a few sore muscles, but able to golf, although I can't use a FULL follow through yet---all my swings look like Tiger's Stinger shot--only wish the ball flew as well.

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2007, 8:52 pm
Addict

Hm half the cost of the bike...

Just out of curiosity whats costing so much?

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2007, 10:28 pm
Veteran

Here' to hoping you get it fixed soon.

I know these things are expensive to fix. My KGT was around $5K just for a tip-over. A deer strike would take out a lot of plastic at the front and both sides along with some suspension and wheel parts.

Good luck and hope your insurance settles well.

Watch out for a premium hike though....
Mine went to $1K a year after the tipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2007, 6:12 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Big items included, radiator, oil cooler, wheel carrier, headlight, and almost all of plastic forward of seat. I am still find it hard to believe the wheel isn't being replaced. Of course, this figure included almost $2000 in labor. (22 hours).

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2007, 8:49 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1200
Big items included, radiator, oil cooler, wheel carrier, headlight, and almost all of plastic forward of seat. I am still find it hard to believe the wheel isn't being replaced. Of course, this figure included almost $2000 in labor. (22 hours).
That 22 hours seems a little fishy. Three days to put it together? I'd suspect a good mechanic could do it in one day if they have worked on the GT for any length of time.

I know mine said he could easily beat the book labor time on the cassette transmission change time of two hours. BMW labor rates seem a little stretched as though no one has worked on the bike before.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2007, 6:05 pm

Tuperware is VERY expensive. Heard a similar story (so it must be true ) with respect to a GL1800 gold wing. The front end needed replacing due to hitting something, rads likely needed replacing and prehaps some of the wheel components. All tuperwear up front and as I recall saddle bags and top bag. They stoped counting when they reached $22K (Canadian) as that was replacement cost.

On another line, it is a FULL days labour to replace the throttle cable. Need to remove 3 layers of stuff and part of the rad to get in enough, have to get "Between" the frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode