Travel ready - yes a GT with armrests! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Travel ready - yes a GT with armrests!

So my son (9 years old) and I are planning a mid-summer trip from the east coast to the midwest via Canada. About a 4000 mile round trip with no time limits.

He was concerned about having to "hold on" the whole time - wished we had armrests like the Goldwings do. This is my rendition of them. The brackets attach with small spacers to the outside screws that hold the cover for the rear rack. Plenty of room under there. They both pivot and the arm rests come right off with the two big thumb screws. The brackets can be removed as well, in under two minutes. Covered them with some memory foam and material to match the seat.

Figured while I was back there I might as well install a steel bracket for the magnetic CB antenna. In under two minutes you can remove the bracket, dissasemble the antenna, and the whole thing will store right under the passenger seat.

If you look close at the cockpit picture you can see the tiny LED block right between the speedo and tac. They are also located under the Radar mount (shines in glove box) as well as under both sides of the frame and under the rear top box mount. They can be turned on by holding down a press button momentary switch on the left edge of the dash (anytime) or switched on with a toggle switch once the ignition is turned on.

This allows me to walk up to the bike and press down on the momentary switch so I can find the ignition switch, and once I've got the key in I can switch the toggle on and get full perimeter lighting around the bike (it gets really dark where I live!)

Just a few ideas I thought I'd share with you guys in case they're helpfull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1856.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	5276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1857.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	5277   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1858.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	5278   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1855.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	5279   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1859.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	5280  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 3:38 pm

the GT as an LT......nice

F

05LT
07GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 9:33 am
fas

Talking Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
the GT as an LT......nice

F

+1

Great work.

BTW, that was one HUGE mosquito on the one shot. Almost a small bird!

Enjoy the ride. Your son is a very lucky boy.

My Dad hated every bike I owned and only at the age of 83 finally got on my LT for a ride only after his 80 year old German girlfirend wanted a ride. She had fond memories of riding with her Dad in his side car in Germany. They were too poor to own a car and it was either ride the bike or walk.

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 9:52 am Thread Starter

We actually use our mosquitoes here as carrier pigeons to send notes to our neighbors!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 9:54 am
I'm riding

Bob,

Great job and pics, thank you for sharing.

What are the three switches and LEDs for on the right fairing near the glove box?
Sorry, I did not understand it from your post - may I ask you for more detailed info, please?
TIA

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Swiches

The one on the left is attached to the on-board GPS connector and activates the 30A master relay that supplies power to all of my accessories. With that switch off everything that is not "factory" is powered off.

The middle one is connected to the low beam headlight feed and controls the added driving lights on the front fender, that way they only power up when the headlights are on (bike running) or I can shut them off if I need to.

The one on the right turns on the previously mentioned perimeter lights when the ignition is on.

Each has a low output LED above it so I know they're on - first two are green - the one for the perimeter lights is red.

The same location on the other side has a small black momentary switch that you can hold down to turn on the perimeter lights at any time and a BMW style power outlet.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 11:07 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcopro
The one on the left is attached to the on-board GPS connector and activates the 30A master relay that supplies power to all of my accessories. With that switch off everything that is not "factory" is powered off.

The middle one is connected to the low beam headlight feed and controls the added driving lights on the front fender, that way they only power up when the headlights are on (bike running) or I can shut them off if I need to.

The one on the right turns on the previously mentioned perimeter lights when the ignition is on.

Each has a low output LED above it so I know they're on - first two are green - the one for the perimeter lights is red.

The same location on the other side has a small black momentary switch that you can hold down to turn on the perimeter lights at any time and a BMW style power outlet.
Wise!
The extra fender lights are powered via relay? How did you connect the wires? I want to order Motolights. just waiting their reply on shipping costs.
Thanks a lot!

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Relay

Yes - the additional lights are powered off a relay that's supplied by my master relay. The switch wiring goes into the lighting harness which is accessible from the right hand side under the side cover - all the way at the top next to the instrument cluster. Plenty of room over there for the relay, etc - with easy access to the battery compartment. I have a fuse block located on top of the battery. The whole assembly lifts out of the way for service or battery removal.

I think you can see it in the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1760.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	5296  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 12:12 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcopro
Yes - the additional lights are powered off a relay that's supplied by my master relay. The switch wiring goes into the lighting harness which is accessible from the right hand side under the side cover - all the way at the top next to the instrument cluster. Plenty of room over there for the relay, etc - with easy access to the battery compartment. I have a fuse block located on top of the battery. The whole assembly lifts out of the way for service or battery removal.

I think you can see it in the attached photo.
Thank you, Bob!

Very informative.

I am waiting for a Centech AP1(stuck in UPS) fuse panel.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Fuse block

The one I used is the run of the mill $4.00 unit. I've used them for years. They just need to be semi-protected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode