Cycle Pump - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 8:23 am Thread Starter

Cycle Pump

Does anyone know if you can plug a "Cycle Pump Air Compressor" from BestRest directly into the BMW plug outlet on a GT and it will work? Or does this somehow piss off the CanBus system?

Thanks!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 8:44 am

I know it works on my R12RT which has a 10A limit but fails on the K12S which has a 5A limit. If the GT is like the RT then you're good. As a side point, you have to test it under load. The pump will "work" on both the K12S and R12RT as long as it is not asked to do any work but as soon as you attach it to the tire the CANbus will shut down on the K12S. No problem with the RT.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 8:58 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeknott
I know it works on my R12RT which has a 10A limit but fails on the K12S which has a 5A limit. If the GT is like the RT then you're good. As a side point, you have to test it under load. The pump will "work" on both the K12S and R12RT as long as it is not asked to do any work but as soon as you attach it to the tire the CANbus will shut down on the K12S. No problem with the RT.
I have used a cycle pump on my '05 K12S and its on board outlet to fill a just repaired flat. I had to keep the key in the on position otherwise the canbus would turn off the outlet.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 10:15 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5
Does anyone know if you can plug a "Cycle Pump Air Compressor" from BestRest directly into the BMW plug outlet on a GT and it will work? Or does this somehow piss off the CanBus system?

Thanks!
Mike
I have the Cycle Pump. Out of the package they warn about the BMW canbus, i.e. the pump needs 7 to 10 amps and the canbus may disable the pwerlet above 5. The units comes with battery clips so a direct connection to the battery is possible in a pinch, no pun intended.

Funny thing is I never tried it on the powerelet, as I just believed the warning. This weekend I installed, OK BenicaRT installed, a powerlet direct to the battery so now no problems.

The cyclepump is a good unit, so if you buy it, it comes with battery clips as wells as standard cigarette adapter, and smaller BMW powerlet adapter. So make sure you pack the battery clips and the correct torx to access the battery case.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 3:34 pm

I went to the local bicycle store and purchased a compact "hi volume" hand pump. Works great to put in a few pounds or 1/2 a dozen. It'd be a good workout to pump up a flat tire but would be doable. Takes up next to no space and I don't have to worry about running down any electrical or taking out a spark plug.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 1:40 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
I went to the local bicycle store and purchased a compact "hi volume" hand pump. Works great to put in a few pounds or 1/2 a dozen. It'd be a good workout to pump up a flat tire but would be doable. Takes up next to no space and I don't have to worry about running down any electrical or taking out a spark plug.

Ya but you are Canadian, much stronger and masculine then the rest of us.

Cheers,
Nick
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 8:33 am
Enthusiast

I have a Cyclepump and it works fine plugged into the accessory outlet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode