Brake Pad wear sensor Light Wont go OFF! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Brake Pad wear sensor Light Wont go OFF!

Today on the way to work a constant red brake warning light came on. I phoned my dealer Irv Seaver BMW and found out that light is for the brake pad wear indicator. No problem. Brought the bike by for a quick set of pads and a reset on the light and the light wont reset. The service manager said he has seen this before on a couple of bikes and BMW does not have an answer as to how to turn the light off. He tried hooking the bike up the to the BMW computer 3 times and all three times the sensor light came right back on. Any ideas? I cant believe I have to ride around on a BMW with a brake warning light on all the time.

Thanks for any advice on this problem,

Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 10:48 pm

My 07GT is in right now for the very same thing. The pads are like new and the wear block that holds the sacrificial wire hasn't even begun to wear on the rotor. THe service manager state he has had one other 07 with the issue and it was the wire harness being misrouted causing the sensor connector to pull apart during hard turns. He said he sent a message to BMWNA about it. Hopefully they can isolate mine before the weather around here goes 100+
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 2:23 am
Enthusiast

Please UTFS.

You'll be amazed what info can be found that's already been posted ....

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 6:44 am
Enthusiast

Flash,

I also got told to UTFS when I had this problem a couple of months ago! This was after I did UTFS and couldn't find any definitive answer on the subject.

I have now been waiting since March for new pads to cure the problem and my bike is going in on June 13 for a 10000km service and replacement pads under warranty to cure the stupid light.

My dealer ordered rear pads because the computer told them it was the rear pads that had the problem. When they tried to replace them they found that it was actually the front pads that had the broken wire or whatever and the computer software has a bug that is reporting the wrong pads as faulty. Perhaps this is also your problem and they need to replace the pads at the other end of the bike to reset the light. Sound very much like it won't reset because the fault is still there.

My light came on at about 4000km and has been on for the last few months because it takes so long to get BMW parts here and the dealer is too busy to fit the bike in for a fix. It is a pain but I am used to it now and it doesn't bother me any more. There have been many people experiencing the problem at low mileages.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 6:54 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
My light came on at about 4000km and has been on for the last few months because it takes so long to get BMW parts here and the dealer is too busy to fit the bike in for a fix. It is a pain but I am used to it now and it doesn't bother me any more. There have been many people experiencing the problem at low mileages.
I'd suggest you go look for another dealer. It's a 10 min. job to replace the pads + indicator wire, incl. resetting of the computer. I think they just don't want to replace the pads under warranty and wait until they're really worn.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 9:48 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
I'd suggest you go look for another dealer. It's a 10 min. job to replace the pads + indicator wire, incl. resetting of the computer. I think they just don't want to replace the pads under warranty and wait until they're really worn.
Irwin,

As I mentioned, my pads are being replaced under warranty on 13 June. Most parts must come from Melbourne, or if not available in Australia, from Germany. Nothing much is ever stocked in Perth. When the computer reported the problem was with the rear brakes they ordered them and tried to fit them a couple of months ago. It was not their fault that the computer fault report was wrong and they actually needed to order the front brakes.

Perth is not the USA and the nearest alternative dealer is at least 3000km away, a bit far to ride to get brake pads fixed! I am happy with the dealer and at least they are replacing my seat with the new model seat under warranty, also on 13 June, which is more than any dealer in the US appears to be doing.

The other problem in Perth is that there are not enough people for all the jobs available due to the massive resources boom that is taking all the labour it can get. This has resulted in a shortage of mechanics and the dealer is short of at least two mechanics, despite advertising continuously for them. In fact, there is a shortage of people for every occupation so if anyone wants a job, come to WA!

Hopefully all will be well after June 13.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 10:04 am
Enthusiast

Thanks for explaining, Bob.

In fact, my reply was triggered by:
Quote:
... and the dealer is too busy to fit the bike in for a fix.
I didn't realize about the situation out there.

Quote:
Hopefully all will be well after June 13.
I hope so too. At least, the expectations are good.

Grtz,
Erwin

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Hey, thanks Win for all the useful info and attacks on people's responses...JUST Go away. :wtf

To the other nice responses. Thank you. I called my dealer and he told me to bring it in for a set of new front pads to see if that works. Ill let you guys know. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
Thanks for explaining, Bob.

In fact, my reply was triggered by:

I didn't realize about the situation out there.

I hope so too. At least, the expectations are good.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2007, 2:16 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash1034
Hey, thanks Win for all the useful info and attacks on people's responses...JUST Go away. :wtf
You're welcome to it, and no I won't.

It is merely to remind you guys of the forum rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum admin
Search the Archives: Use the forum search feature or one of the major internet search engines BEFORE you ask your next question. Being asked the same old question over and over is very irritating. By not taking the time to search the archives or make a search of other internet resources BEFORE asking the group is like saying, "my time is more valuable than yours, so I'm just going to ask here instead of looking for it myself".

Grtz,
Erwin

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash1034
Today on the way to work a constant red brake warning light came on. I phoned my dealer Irv Seaver BMW and found out that light is for the brake pad wear indicator. No problem. Brought the bike by for a quick set of pads and a reset on the light and the light wont reset. The service manager said he has seen this before on a couple of bikes and BMW does not have an answer as to how to turn the light off. He tried hooking the bike up the to the BMW computer 3 times and all three times the sensor light came right back on. Any ideas? I cant believe I have to ride around on a BMW with a brake warning light on all the time.

Thanks for any advice on this problem,

Flash
Had the same issue with my '08 K1200GT neither of the wear sensors were worn out!! turns out the front sensor wires were bent 180 degrees just before the plug and tie wrapped in position the wires fatigued and both broke in half!!! i cut the wire off and soldered the ends together and plugged it back in. problem solved, BMW has had so many issues with this system they no longer use it on their motorcycles!!! You can visually inspect the wear on the brake pads and replace them when they are worn down to the limits!! EBC brake pads are $40.00 a set Vs $116 for the BMW pads with the sensor wire!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode