High Idle issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 6:28 am Thread Starter

High Idle issue

I'm hoping this issue has been straightened out for someone. I'm one of the few (it seems) who has an 06 GT with an idle problem. I purchased the bike in March 07. The dealer installed new software two weeks ago. It fixed the extremely touchy roll off of the throttle, but the idle is still not right. I backed into a parking space and the idle went to 2500, I took my hand off the throttle, watched for 15 seconds, tried to reduce the idle, thinking the cable was stuck. No luck. I finally bliped the throttle and it came down. It's intermittent and doesn't occur when the dealer is watching. HELP. I'm ready to sell it.
Is anyone with a 2007 GT having issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 8:42 am
ZZZ

Robert,
Have a look at this thread
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7489
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd9390
I'm hoping this issue has been straightened out for someone. I'm one of the few (it seems) who has an 06 GT with an idle problem. I purchased the bike in March 07. The dealer installed new software two weeks ago. It fixed the extremely touchy roll off of the throttle, but the idle is still not right. I backed into a parking space and the idle went to 2500, I took my hand off the throttle, watched for 15 seconds, tried to reduce the idle, thinking the cable was stuck. No luck. I finally bliped the throttle and it came down. It's intermittent and doesn't occur when the dealer is watching. HELP. I'm ready to sell it.
Is anyone with a 2007 GT having issues?
Bob,

I also have an early 06', and the high idle appeared once last year, and twice after
having the 8.1 installed last month. I did a tps reset 2 weeks ago and no more high idle. It
is not the cure, but what the hell, it worked for me so far. You didn't mention what software
version you had installed. When the 9.1 software is installed I believe BMW is recommending the new air box design to be used with it. I believe that it will be a short time before the idle issue is resolved. Don't panic.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_p
Bob,

I also have an early 06', and the high idle appeared once last year, and twice after
having the 8.1 installed last month. I did a tps reset 2 weeks ago and no more high idle. It
is not the cure, but what the hell, it worked for me so far. You didn't mention what software
version you had installed. When the 9.1 software is installed I believe BMW is recommending the new air box design to be used with it. I believe that it will be a short time before the idle issue is resolved. Don't panic.

Phil
Phil, my dealer has installed ver. 9.1 two times, idle issues still there. According to my dealer BMW is producing a new airbox which is scheduled for release on June 15, then ten days for shipping. We'll see how that works once received. What's tps reset?
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd9390
Phil, my dealer has installed ver. 9.1 two times, idle issues still there. According to my dealer BMW is producing a new airbox which is scheduled for release on June 15, then ten days for shipping. We'll see how that works once received. What's tps reset?
Bob,

You disconnect the battery cables(neg lst) for over 1/2 hr. Then reconnect (pos lst),
turn on ignition but do not start engine. Twist throttle from off to full on 2-3 times.
Then turn off ignition. Some guys have said it is not necessary to disconnect battery
to clear memory, but what is an extra 1/2 hr ?. This information also
appears in the owner's manual. Let me know how you made out.

Phil
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:00 am
Rookie

High Idle

Hi
My high idling days appeared to be over when they put the software upgrade on before the version 9. The bike still took a longer to get down from 2000 revs but i was living with that. But version 9 software upgrade made the oil warning light come on and version 9.1 got rid of this but the bike returned to the sticking revs, high idling etc. At the time of writing this BMW have no answer or cure for this, which i find incredible after 10 months of having the problem along with a fair proportion of other riders out there.

What to do next , don't know as of now but it cant continue with these potentialy deadly flaws of an otherwise great motorcycle.

Ps On my recent trip to Europe i did motorway cruising , using the cruise control occasionally and the problems showed when i left the motorways. Pulling up at border controls with the bike reving away didn't go down to well! in the end i started to turn the bike off at the ferry port, border control and some toll booths.

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:34 am

High Revs

I know this subject has been beaten around for some time, but I thought more fuel (no pun intended) on the fire would not hurt. Just completed a 10K mile tour around the country that required a great deal on time on the super slabs. Up until then the bike (07 with 3K miles) has not demonstrated any peculiarities that this group has identified.
However, after spending many hours (repeated tanks of fuel) engaged in cruise control and then disengaging and exiting the thoroughfare, the bike would not settle below about 25-2800 rpms. Additionally, the bike exhibited backfiring upon downshifting. No amount of "blipping" the throttle would settle the engine until it was switched off for a refuel. Upon restarting, all was solid around 900 rpm.
Just completed the 12k mile service, explaining the issue to the service manager and tech. They could not offer any advice or recommendation. From the manner in which my bike demonstrated this problem, it appears to me as a fuel management/trapped vapor issue. The problem never manefests itself without engaging cruise control. My thought here is that not matter how steady we hold the throttle, there is always some variance that clears the system before slowing.
Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable about injection systems and will have to await further input or a failure somewhere. Lots of luck to all.
EJ
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:57 am

I have a 2007 GT which had the high idle problem. Bucking and hard shifting is also a bi-product. The dealer replaced the airbox and upgraded my software and it is a totally different bike (in a good way). There was a bulletin issued for this problem...why there isn't a recall is anyones guess.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Hmmm....in 2K miles, I doubt that I've used the cruise control more than 10-15 minutes, and I've not had the high idle issues. I wonder if this is just coincidence or if there's really something here......

Rusty
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 5:01 pm

FYI. I went to the NHTSA website and filed out the online complaint form to make them aware of the brake warning light and high idle issue. I encourage anyone with these problems to do the same. Maybe we can get BMW to get us a fix on our expensive bikes.

Flash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode