BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Track school on a K12S

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  hdf 
#1 ·
Last week I attended a 2-day novice track school run by Lance Keigwin at Thunderhill Race Park northwest of Sacramento in California. Wanted to see what I could do with the K-bike amid a bunch of 600cc dedicated track bikes and younger, more experienced riders. Well, it did fine. Hang off enough and you can keep the hard parts off the asphalt, and it could catch anyone on the straights. Great school, great bike, great time. Look 'em up at keigwins@thetrack.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
tracking the S

Ain't it fun on this bike? I've got 6 CLASS days in on mine and you're right about it running so well with the true sports bikes. I start getting smug passing them upright well into triple digits while they're hunkered down. Then it's back to reality in the tight turns. Too long of a wheelbase and about 75 pounds too heavy to really compete, all other factors being equal. But I always advocate to anyone and everyone who wants to better themselves to do what you did at whatever venue they can. Go into it with a clear plan, a clear objective of the things you want out of it, and go out there and do it! All that being said, I'm hocking my 1100S and am close to getting either an Aprilia Mille or a Gixxer 750 to carve up the track and twisties even more efficiently. The mighty KS will still be taken to school in the future but going forward it'll see very limited duty there.

#5 ·
BMW ProRace for BIG BOYS

Those leathers, BMW Pro Race, are excellent and the "Cool" technology really works well.

Before you manly men go out to buy a set, the jacket sizes only go up to U.S. 46L so I was out of luck there.....need a 50L

I got the Pro Race pants and went with the BMW Leather Club Jacket and had a full waist zipper added. Armor is not up to the ProRace level, but after slipping a backplate into the provided pocket it's pretty good.

The "Cool" treatment is the same for the Club and ProRace so the leather color and texture is the same.

For those unfamiliar with the "Cool" treatment it significantly lowers the temperatures for the rider.

#8 · (Edited)
hdf said:
For full details on how the TFL cool system leather works, you can check out the following web site from the company that provides the leather treatment. This is not a treatment exclusive to BMW leather.

http://www.tfl.com/systems_cool.asp
Any ideas what other motorcycle leathers are offering this? I looked for quite awhile trying to find a m/c custom, or semi-custom, leather suit maker that offered it.

#9 ·
BillyOmaha said:
Any ideas what other motorcycle leathers are offering this? I looked for quite awhile trying to find a m/c custom, or semi-custom, leather suit maker that offered it.
No, I have been looking for one that does custom as well. I was planning on calling BKS in the UK to see if they used (or could be supplied) leather with this treatment.

If I hear anything, I'll post it here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.