BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Oil Display

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  fastjohnny 
#1 ·
Hello,

My oil display is constantly displaying 3 dashes ‘---‘ . I have not seen the Oil and Tick display for over a week. The oil check symbol also came on. I checked it but it seemed ok. Although I have to admit the dipstick is very hard to read. Anyone else experiencing these problems? Thanks in advance Ian :(

#3 ·
GTdavey said:
The search button is your friend.
Use it.
Replies like that are useless. Many times, the search function and the limits of the MySQL backend and full text indexing of forums such as this make the search function extremely difficult to use. 3 letter word searches are not allowed, and I have been hit with this problem myself a few times. Forums are about communication and being short or snide with members limits that communication.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : oil

#4 ·
I have experienced similar occurences with the oil display. The other day, I started the bike and rode for a mile or so and when I stopped, the oil display gave me a check mark. I got on the freeway and within 5 miles the <!> came on. When I exited the freeway near my home and came to a stop, the display again showed a check mark. When I got to my house, I checked the oil level with the dipstick and it was right at the lower limit line on the dipstick which shows that the oil is down a half quart. I guess the system must be very sensitive. My assumption is that the system measures oil pressure and while riding at freeway speeds the pressure was lower than at local street riding speeds. I would suggest that you add about 2-4 ounces of oil and see if that fixes the problem. I have now added a full quart to my GT since I took delivery in May. I am approaching 6000 miles and will be bringing the bike in for a service next week. The dealers say that this is an acceptable level of consumption.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

#6 · (Edited)
Pdamski many thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I find the dipstick very hard to read but as I have nearly 4000 miles I will add a few ounces of oil. Hopefully that should cure and I will see a nice oil (tick) again.

Gtdavey took your very direct advice and did a search for ‘oil’ and then ‘oil display’ but I have to say Pdamski’s answer was more comprehensive and offered better advice.

Ian

#9 ·
You old GT'ers are just jealous that we have electronics to read at the dash, instead of crawling on our knees to see the little window that is usually hard to read!!!!And you have to put it on the centerstand to get a true reading.

The dipstick is very easy to read. It is more like an auto, plus the regular read out at the dash.

#10 ·
larrykay said:
You old GT'ers are just jealous that we have electronics to read at the dash, instead of crawling on our knees to see the little window that is usually hard to read!!!!And you have to put it on the centerstand to get a true reading.

The dipstick is very easy to read. It is more like an auto, plus the regular read out at the dash.
Oh..so it's not as hard to read as others say....good.....also good that you have a blue one!
:ricky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.