I blew up my Garmin 2720...I need some help and advice! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

I blew up my Garmin 2720...I need some help and advice!

I have a 2007 BMW R1200GSA and recently purchased a Garmin StreetPilot 2720 and an Autocom Super Pro AVi Kit 300 Duo for the bike. The GPS worked fine while I was testing it out in my car. I bought the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit for the 2720 and had the cables professionally installed. We were able to get power, but no audio. I thought it might be a faulty sound cable, so I bypassed the Autocom unit and tested the GPS using my computer speakers; the audio worked without issues thus ruling out a bad cable. Autocom recommends using the aux 4 socket, but when it didnít work I tried plugging into the aux 1,2, and 3 sockets. None of them worked either. To test the sockets, I used my iPod and they all worked just fine. I switched back to trying my GPS again and suddenly it died and would not turn back on. I tried powering it up with my car and house power supplies, but it remained dead. I sent it away and itís getting repaired and should be back to me soon, but now Iím leery about blowing it up again. Has anyone else had audio problems when using a Garmin 2720 and an Autocom system? Any advice, thoughts, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:25 am
Will ride for picts

Did you use an isolated cable between the autocomm and the GPS? The GPS's audio amps are easily blown and require an isolated cable. You can get them from Autocomm.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:58 am
Veteran

I believe the Autocom Pro Avi input #1 is a "powered" socket. The early models did not have the jack powered to 9 volts. The latest models are 9 volt powered to run some Autocom input accessories like their Bluetooth dongle which needs the 9 volts. The Autocom's that have the powered jack or socket have the Bluetooth enabled or socket #1 is hot sticker on them. I think it was colored blue if I recall my conversation with the Autocom tech.

That said, no doubt once you plugged it into the #1 jack you may have blown the GPS output audio. Garmin may fix it for free though.

I went with the Bluetooth dongle and needed to power up the socket on my Pro Avi as it was the older (1 year) model and wasn't powered from the factory. It required a fine jumper wire internally and a fine soldering iron to do it. Autocom wanted me to send it to them, but I decided to do it myself to save the down time. Instructions were in their download manual.

I'd also use on of Autocom's isolated cables too. Solves some hard-to-figure-out issues at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 6:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks!

Thanks rhhall & GMack for the advice! I'm not sure if they used an isolated cable or not when they installed it. I'm going to share your responses with my installer. Hopefully once I get my GPS back from Garmin, we can get it up and running again without blowing it up! I appreciate the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode