Cardo Scala Rider Earpiece - Not for use in the rain !! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2007, 1:46 pm Thread Starter

Cardo Scala Rider Earpiece - Not for use in the rain !!

Just a word of warning for anyone who may be considering a TomTom Rider bundle with a Scala Rider ear piece.

I received my new Rider almost 2 weeks ago and used it for the first time on Tuesday. Unfortunately Tuesday in England turned into one of the wettest days of the month so far and I had a 400 mile journey to complete! No problems I thought, my new TomTom Rider V2 is fully waterproof and surely any earpiece supplied with it will also be protected to the same level, WRONG !! My earpiece lasted the first half of the journey but gave up the ghost on the way home....

I emailed Cardo Systems who informed me that "the product can withstand light rain but is not meant for moderate to heavy rain". I am now left with an earpiece which is useless. Cardo Systems state that their manual carries a warning to this effect, TomTom do not supply the Cardo Scala Rider manual with the bundle....

You have been warned.......

I must add, however, that the TomTom Rider V2 is excellent, if only I could find an earpiece to match....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 4:02 am

My Cardo Scala Rider used to stop working in very heavy rain. I think the water was getting in where the mic joins the body of the unit, because i covered the join in silicone goo and its managed in rain ever since.

Disappointing thing for Cardo to say, "its only meant to be used in light rain"... suppose helmet manufacturers said that too?

What are we supposed to do? If it starts pissing; get off the bike, helmet off, mini-toolkit out, unscrew Scala Rider, dry with hairdryer, put into waterproof container, continue journey without GPS assistance...?

2007 K1200R Graphite
2005 XR400R
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyGuy
My Cardo Scala Rider used to stop working in very heavy rain. I think the water was getting in where the mic joins the body of the unit, because i covered the join in silicone goo and its managed in rain ever since.

Disappointing thing for Cardo to say, "its only meant to be used in light rain"... suppose helmet manufacturers said that too?

What are we supposed to do? If it starts pissing; get off the bike, helmet off, mini-toolkit out, unscrew Scala Rider, dry with hairdryer, put into waterproof container, continue journey without GPS assistance...?

My bundled Scala Rider died last week. It was pissing down on the Southern Freeway last week, doing 120 and the Tom Tom started doing crazy stuff. Thought I drowned the Tom Tom but no, it was the headset module, completely flooded.
Pulled the charger plug out the back and it was full of water
To be honest, I dont care, the Cardo has been nothing but trouble and has never worked properly, had to repair it constantly, switches it self off all the time and if a call came through the Tom Tom it would work again until everything was rebooted, piece of crap.
Ive just bought a new Blue Ant Interphone and so far has worked flawlessly with the Tom Tom and my phone.
Worked first time no issues and has a better more secure mounting system.
The volume isnt quite as loud but still ok with earplugs.
So far, a much better alternative to the Cardo.
See how it holds up in the rain, but it does appear to be much better made than the Cardo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Addict

I have the Garmin Zumo550, with the Nolan N-COM 102 Bluetooth Helmet. This past summer I rode from Long Island NewYork to St. Anthony Newfoundland, and we rode through heavy down pours all the time I was listening to Music, and never had a problem. The N-Com helmet only cautions that after riding through rain you should remove the Bluetooth gizmo from the helmet, and make sure it's dry inside, and if not just dry it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nolan4.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	629.2 KB
ID:	9395  

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 7:17 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
I have the Garmin Zumo550, with the Nolan N-COM 102 Bluetooth Helmet. This past summer I rode from Long Island NewYork to St. Anthony Newfoundland, and we rode through heavy down pours all the time I was listening to Music, and never had a problem. The N-Com helmet only cautions that after riding through rain you should remove the Bluetooth gizmo from the helmet, and make sure it's dry inside, and if not just dry it off.
+1 for the Nolan. Works great with the Zumo either through BT or direct wired!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Rain

My Nolan Bluetooth quit working in the rain. Worked fine after I dried it out. You would think motorcycle gear would be designed to be water resistant if not waterproof.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 7:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daustin173
My Nolan Bluetooth quit working in the rain. Worked fine after I dried it out. You would think motorcycle gear would be designed to be water resistant if not waterproof.
When you install the bluetooth kit you have to be sure to carefully install that tiny piece of adhesive gasket which is suppose to keep the water out. It could have been designed better, like with an O-ring instead, but would likely have drive cost higher. Maybe the Scala Rider will work again after it dries out.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Rain

Did install the gasket and you're right, it could have a better sealing method around the entire opening for the NCom unit. But it doesn't, so I'll just have to dry it out when it gets wet. It still is a very nice helmet and communication unit and it's the one I wear the most.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Actually it is working again, still a piece of crap thats never worked properly!
Im going to give it to a mate that I dont like much let him have some aggravation!
Im hoping the interphone lasts as it looks excellent quality and works without issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode