Handheld GPS on a bike? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:20 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Handheld GPS on a bike?

Has any one installed a hand held unit on the bike? I do a lot of Geocaching and would like to be able to use the same unit for both traveling and caching once there. I was seriously considering the new Magellan Explorist XL with its large 3.5" screen. or the Garmin Colorado.
Any thoughts, either on function or form?

Reading other forums it doesn't appear that Magellan supports their products real well. and the base map on the unit is not as good as the Garmin I sure do like that BIG screen though.
Anyone here who can chime in and give a real world perspective?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:49 pm
Addict

I have the garmin 60C I think its' called...handheld GPS.

I like it a lot. Screen isn't huge but the clarity is very good. They do sell a bar mount for it, I dont' have that...yet.

Similar purpose for buying this handheld, but...mostly cause the last time I was trying to find my treestand in the fog/dark up in MI deerhunting, I had to sit down and wait for daylight....I was 10 friggin feet away from the stand!!

Its all I need for the road. Mostly, I like the real speed versus the fake speed we see on our speedo's, especially when I'm toeing the speeding line to make time without going to jail :wtf

I only really use the mapping when I'm lost on the road or looking for the next peebreakstop!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 3:39 pm
Enthusiast

I started out with an eTrex Legend, then upgraded to the GPS Map60c. I liked the unit but the screen size kind of bothered me. I found it a little small for using on the bike. I finally settled on the ZUMO 550. Great unit, but not exactly suited to Geocaching....

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:13 pm
Veteran

I have a Garmin 12 that I use to check for speedo error and mark locations.
If you wanted to use it to display and follow routes, I think the screen is waaaaay toooo small!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 9:23 pm

I've been using a 'Magellan Meridian Color' on my '06 GT for almost 2 yrs now and like it a lot.
I didn't buy it for the GT. I already had it from hiking, 4-wheeling, dirt bike riding, and general travelling around the country.
I've got a more detailed street map cd, a topo cd, a card reader, a 512mb mem. card, nice ballistic carrying case, motorcycle mounting kit (car kit actually), and probably some other misc stuff.
If it sounds like I'm trying to sell it, it's only because I could be talked into it.
I sold both my dirt bikes within the last month, am selling my jeep to my bro', wife's getting to old to do any serious hiking any more, and I really, REALLY want a Zumo 550 for my '08 GT so I can lose the extra mounts of the XM & cellphone. You know, 'bundle'.
And after all, Friday IS my b-day.
I wouldn't consider selling my Meridian but for the high cost of the Zumo and high frequency of wifey.
Not to sound like a salesperson but the Meridian Color works just fine. There is NO GPS out there that's going to have it "all".
For a hand-held it's really good.
PM me if anyone is interested.
I'm probably going to get the Zumo anyway but I'd part with the Meridian for a few dubloons.

it is un-natural for man to be in a cage
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:54 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman
Has any one installed a hand held unit on the bike? ?
I had an eTrex on my Pegaso - haven't moved it across to the K, not much use really.

You can get a Garmin mount from RAM and there are plenty of power kits out there.

I found it really useful for off-road, but on-road it was only useful for pulling off the route after I had ridden it and adding it to my Garmin car nav.

Still, the compass direction indicator is still handy for broad-scale direction finding...and easy enough to read, even though it is only grayscale.

I used to geocache and that's what I used it for

Grow Old Disgracefully!
www.ulysses-uk.org
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman
Has any one installed a hand held unit on the bike? I do a lot of Geocaching and would like to be able to use the same unit for both traveling and caching once there. I was seriously considering the new Magellan Explorist XL with its large 3.5" screen. or the Garmin Colorado.
A decade ago I had my Eagle MapGuide Pro (one of the first handheld GPSs with a moving map display) mounted on my Kawasaki GPZ1100. Worked fine, and it was easy to hook it up to run off the bike power, which was good because a set of 4 AA batteries only lasted a day in that thing!

Of course that was before driving GPSs had route finding and directories of gas stations and stuff.

I think you could mount pretty much any handheld GPS to your bike and it'd work just fine. I found the mount for mine at Fry's. As a bonus a lot of the handheld ones are waterproof whereas many auto ones aren't. Of course, most handheld ones don't have all the driving features...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 1:55 am
Noob

gps

Hi. I have been driving with a lot of GPS since they came on the marked. In my opinion, Garmin is the best. I had a Zumo 400 on my K1200RT and will install it on my newly bought K1200GT. Simply the best. To mount it I made 2 4x2 cm stainless steelplates and bent them 90degrees. Drilled 2 holes and "voila!" I had a mounting plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zumo1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	8441   Click image for larger version

Name:	zumo400.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	8442  

Last edited by JanDane; Jul 19th, 2008 at 2:18 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode