Garmin Update - Frustrated - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question Garmin Update - Frustrated

I've got a Navigator II unit. I got the Garmin "City Navigator North America 2009" DVD. Needless to say, I attempted the update using the limited instructions provided. Nothing but problems. I was able to go to the Garmin web site and obtain an unlock code. Attempted the update again. Now I get a message that says there's not enough available space on the unit (are they referring to the GPS unit itself?) and I must free some space by deleting supplemental maps. How do I do that? Getting a little frustrated. It doesn't help that I'm not very computer savvy. Anybody got any pointers or advice?

Thanx,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mser
I've got a Navigator II unit. I got the Garmin "City Navigator North America 2009" DVD. Needless to say, I attempted the update using the limited instructions provided. Nothing but problems. I was able to go to the Garmin web site and obtain an unlock code. Attempted the update again. Now I get a message that says there's not enough available space on the unit (are they referring to the GPS unit itself?) and I must free some space by deleting supplemental maps. How do I do that? Getting a little frustrated. It doesn't help that I'm not very computer savvy. Anybody got any pointers or advice?

Thanx,

Mike
If it's 2009 NT it isn't compatible with non "NT" units
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 9:48 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

All that's printed on the package is "Mapsource Update DVD, City Navigator North America 2009". It's apparently NOT the NT version. I called Garmin directly, told them what unit I had, and they told me what to order. I got the update installed onto my computer, but can't get it installed onto the GPS unit. Their very limited instructions absolutely suck!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:35 am
Veteran

Have you updated your firmware recently? The NAV II is very close to the Garmin 2610.

Go to the BMW site and try the Updater first for the firmware. Here's the link. It's near the bottom of the page under GPS.

I'd also go to the Garmin website and download the current version of MapSource before you get down to installing the maps (i.e. City Navigator) stuff.

Do both of those first, then try loading your mapping software. Sometimes without the current firmware and MapSource updates the thing won't load the maps.

If your map's DVD case says "City Navigator" in "blue" it should be the correct version. The NT version has "black" lettering for "City Navigator" and it won't work.

(Hopefully you aren't using an Apple Mac! Then all bets are off.)

I've been away from the older units too long. Doesn't that model have a removable Compact Flash card where you load the maps onto it? If it does, you may be able to back-up all the maps and stuff (for safe keeping should you need it again) off it to your computer, and then try loading the maps to it. I seem to recall loading my old BMW Navigator II+ that way through latest version of MapSource. When you select all your maps in MapSource, in the left pane at the bottom you should see the size of the file. Hopefully the CF card is a bit larger than that or you might select fewer maps to load.

Mack
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 7:29 am

I was having trouble updating my 2610 so I replaced it with a Zumo 550
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Addict

the 2610 does not use NT maps.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Addict

I got the same message updating my zumo, and had to opt for the lower 49 states only, where I use to have North America. I guess the maps are getting much more detailed, but one thing you can do, is delete all the foriegn voices which you don't use, that freed up a lot of space for me.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 2:59 pm
I'm riding

Did Garmin almost double the price for update DVD in the States?
I tried to buy a City Europe'09 Nav update DVD this year and they wanted more than 120 backs instead of 70 past year.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Addict

Vlad I would suggest not buying the CD's, they have a new program which many of us have used. It's called lifetime update, and cost me about $120.00 US. It allows you to update one Garmin device 4 times per year for life. It's done online, no disc involved, you plug your GPS into the computer, and the file is first down loaded to your computer, then from the computer to the GPS. I think this is the way to go since in the long run it's much cheaper. Start here create an account https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/custo...rminHome.faces

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 9:23 pm

I saw someplace else that folks with 2730 were having the problem running out of memory and Garmin told then the new maps had a lot more data so they could only load a smaller area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode