BMW MOTORRAD NAVIGATOR power connector? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2008, 6:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

BMW MOTORRAD NAVIGATOR power connector?

I have been debating on the BMW MOTORRAD NAVIGATOR or the Garmin Zumo 550 for 6 months. The BMW dealer tells me that you just have to plug the unit right into a connector on the bike, and it's all done!

Can any one tell me where this mystery connecter is?

I have a 2007 K1200GT bike.

Of course I ended up getting the Garmin Zumo 550. I couldn't figured out why it was $300 more. I got mine from GPSCity.com for $651.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2008, 7:53 pm
Addict-oholic

Thje special BMW connector is ziptied to the bat just in front of the battery. You need a BMW part connector.

see this:http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2008, 8:49 pm
Strafist

And what about audio? You'll need an Autocomm, or some sort of com system to hear the prompts.

I've noticed the Zumo kicks butt, audiowise, as opposed to my now gone 2730 where the sat radio is concerned.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2008, 9:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It's bluetooth enabled, so if you have a bluetooth device in your helmut, you can listen to MP3 stored in your ZUMO, and here the directions, also you can link your cell phone (which has to have bluetooth) and it will display the incomming call on the ZUMO, and direct the audio to your hand free device. Cool stuff.

I need to find a hands frre device to put in my hemut now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2008, 7:34 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWPAGE
It's bluetooth enabled, so if you have a bluetooth device in your helmut, you can listen to MP3 stored in your ZUMO, and here the directions, also you can link your cell phone (which has to have bluetooth) and it will display the incomming call on the ZUMO, and direct the audio to your hand free device. Cool stuff.

I need to find a hands frre device to put in my hemut now.
I understand that. The limitations to BT in the helmet via good stereo sound and battery life have me using the Autocom Pro AV1. If you're doing thousand mile days and are on a multi day trip you are at the mercy of battery life and having to listen to shitty mono.

Using the Autocom with my Zumo with the satellite radio puck (or MP3), I have great stereo. Using the Autocom BT dongle, it pairs with my iPhone which also sends my phone book to the Zumo. I don't even know why I went that route. I reckon it's so I can laugh at the folks who call me since I don't answer the phone.

Anyway, with this setup, even though I have the cable going to the helmet, I never have to worry about batteries crapping out in the middle of a trip.

Check out the Autcom it's quite versatile. I'm sure someone will chime in with other alternatives.

-=grif=-
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2009, 6:44 am
Rookie

Just wired up my Zumo using the BMW connector that is zip tied in front of the battery and info here and in the provided link. I use the delay off lead (#3)and will use the other for my autocomm once I feel like removing the tuperware.

Rich
2008 K1200 GT - Silver Surfer
Former rides:
2002 R1150RT, 2006 Honda 919, 2001 Suzuki DR350, 1996 BMW K75RT, 1988 Suzuki GS750, 1984 Suzuki GS500, 1974 Honda 450CL, 1972 Honda 350SL, 1966 Shwinn Stingray.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2009, 8:23 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by richr8
Just wired up my Zumo using the BMW connector that is zip tied in front of the battery and info here and in the provided link. I use the delay off lead (#3)and will use the other for my autocomm once I feel like removing the tuperware.
Be aware that one wire off that lead, though it may show 12v, is a pulse. You can wire your Zumo, Autocom and radar detector directly off that plug as they hardly pull any amps.

-=grif=-
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Addict

I have the zumo550 with a Nolan N-Com 102 helmet. While it is true that you can listen to the MP3 player via the Bluetooth the music is only Mono, unless you use the accordion style multimedia wire. I use the wire for the music, and GPS turn by turn directions, and the bluetooth handles the phone. Audio quality with this set up is great. I don't know why the BMW Zumo is so much more money, especially since it is not XM radio capable. Mine was wired by the dealer with the factory plug, and mount, but the power does not always turn off when the bike is turned off. Usually after the ignition is off a few seconds the zumo says lost external power would you like to continue on battery power. But on a couple of occasions I had to power the zumo off myself manually. what ever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy the zumo By the way the battery on the N-com helmet last forever before it goes dead. I made it from Long Island to St Anthony, Newfoundland on one charge.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Last edited by 2008-K1200GT; Jan 24th, 2009 at 7:06 pm.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:50 am
Noob

Power connector for an F 650GS (twin)

I've read other's experience (particularly Luc's really helpful article) about using a spare connector on the K series bikes to connect a Garmin GPS or other kit.

Does anyone know if there is a similar option on the F650GS? There is an unused connector zip tied to the frame at the back of the battery - just like the K series. But it appears to be electrically dead, possibly because it has to be "switched on" by a BMW dealer doing something to the Canbus system.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 1:48 am
Noob

Audio from the Zumo 550

I installed the Zumo and connected it to that accessory plug (which took some time to locate). No Autocom necessary though. I actually loaded a lot of MP3 music files on a 4GB SD card (which is the largest the Zumo will recognize) and I use Shure Noise-Isolating earphones (they plug into your ear) plugged into the audio output on the left side of the Zumo cradle for amazing-quality audio, GPS prompts and wind noise isolation. It works like a charm. In case you want to add a radar detector, get the MixIt2 amplifier from CycleGadgets (http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=MIXIT) which lets you plug in a bunch of audio inputs and can be hidden under the plastics... There is no need to overly complicate things...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode