Are you happy with Garmin? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:11 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry Are you happy with Garmin?

I had a 2720 for a couple of years and had to return it because condensation was getting inside the unit. Garmin gave me a 2820 instead last Sept. It had a humming noise coming from the audio out (ear plugs) right from the start. They said that I should get a ground loop isolator from radio shack and they also sent me a new power cord to install on the bike. Well I looked and looked for a 3.5mm ground loop isolator locally with no luck. Finally moved the 2820 to my new GT recently and installed the new power cord. Same humming. I called Garmin and they said that I have to pay $250 to get a refurbished unit. They said the 2820 that they gave me was not new. Sure wish they would have told me that since a refurbished unit only comes with a 90 day warranty and not a year warranty. Two Garmin units. Both had flaws. I am thinking it may be time to move on. There seems to be a lot of refurbished units for sale on ebay. Why would there be so many that needed to be refurbished? Maybe because poor design or quality?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Tony

'04 K12GT Grey-Green
Garmin 2820
Nolan N-103
S&W M&P 500

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"; unknown author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Enthusiast

The humming you refer to is due to the alternator whine coming through your speakers. A ground loop isolator usually takes care of the problem. Are you running your speakers directly from the Garmin or are you hooked up to an intercom of some sort. If directly to it then you may need to try another isolator. If you are going through an intercom then that may need to be relocated. I had my Autocom under the seat near the battery and the isolator didn't completely remove the whine. Relocating the unit to the tail of the bike got rid of most of it but I sometimes still hear a faint noise.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 7:12 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuckli
I had a 2720 for a couple of years and had to return it because condensation was getting inside the unit. Garmin gave me a 2820 instead last Sept. It had a humming noise coming from the audio out (ear plugs) right from the start. They said that I should get a ground loop isolator from radio shack and they also sent me a new power cord to install on the bike. Well I looked and looked for a 3.5mm ground loop isolator locally with no luck. Finally moved the 2820 to my new GT recently and installed the new power cord. Same humming. I called Garmin and they said that I have to pay $250 to get a refurbished unit. They said the 2820 that they gave me was not new. Sure wish they would have told me that since a refurbished unit only comes with a 90 day warranty and not a year warranty. Two Garmin units. Both had flaws. I am thinking it may be time to move on. There seems to be a lot of refurbished units for sale on ebay. Why would there be so many that needed to be refurbished? Maybe because poor design or quality?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Tony
I have had 4 different units over the last 10 years and all of them have been flawless. Lucky I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2009, 11:00 am Thread Starter
Rookie

No autocom, just the unit. It is a constant hum, not a whining that would increase with RPM's that you would expect from an alternator.

Anyway, I got Garmin to accept it back and will be getting a replacement. Thanks to Garmin for doing the right thing.

'04 K12GT Grey-Green
Garmin 2820
Nolan N-103
S&W M&P 500

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"; unknown author
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 1:22 am
Addict

I don't listen to mp3 or hookup my phone. So no hummmm for me.

2610 = good until screen started going out
2820 = great
zumo 550 = bad - 2 units went bad, one under warranty and one not under warranty
zumo 450 = not so good,very slow to acquire satellites
205w nuvi = great ( for car ) best yet, very quick

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 7:39 am
Strafist

I had one of the original monochrome Streetpilots, it was great and I immediately forgot how to read a map.

The 276c was even better, I really loved that unit and miss not having altitude on the main screen.

Three 2820s. The first one's screen delaminated, the second stopped acquiring satellites and the third was great.

I now run the Zumo 550 which has been so good that I pulled the Nuvi 250 (I hard wire) out of la trucka and swap the 550 back and forth. Speaking of pickups, I installed a Pioneer double din in the truck before this one. The mapping was deplorable.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 8:03 am
Enthusiast

Smile

I guess I have had fairly decent luck and when I have had an issue Garmin has always stood behind their products. I started out with an eTrex Legend, then moved up to the GPSMAP 60C, and then on to the Zumo 550 w/ XM and plan to purchase the Zumo 660 as soon as it's available. My reasons for upgrading over time have mainly been screen size and functions. The eTrex was far too small to use for navigating but was great for general heading information. The 60c was again small, but at least it allowed more mapping/routing features. The Zumo 550 was the best for my use. It had a decent size screen, weatherproof, etc. I used it extensively on my motorcycle over the past two years, about 30k miles. I did have some failures over time with the unit, mainly because of the cradle. Being exposed constantly to the weather seems to be the issue. Like many of the other accessories I purchase for riding it seems that they don't expect someone to ride more than 5k miles a year. As an example, I went through 3 pairs of boots, 3 sets of gloves, 1 pair of pants and two jackets during one season. The manufacturer of the equipment stood behind their product on each occasion and replaced the items free of charge but did state that they TYPICALLY don't see that kind of use.

Regardless, I think you should judge the company by the support they offer AFTER the sale. With Garmin I have found them to be extremely fair and very helpful.

Oh, and when you return something for service you can always tell them that you can't do without the product for the 2 or 3 weeks it takes to send out a refurb. They have always allowed me to 'purchase' a new unit from them and then when they receive my faulty unit they credit my account.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 3:51 am
Rookie

Best ever Garmin

Greetings

I run my NUVI 760 on my LT here in AU, as it never rains here, it's the way to go. It's powered whilst on the bike and has an internal battery for programming routes or changing routes in motel rooms at night. Brilliant. It's been running faultlessly for 18 months now. It has bluetooth for calls, SMS and MP3 music. It's too good. You'd never catch me with a grossly under-appointed ZUMO.

Cheers to all

Paul Harrington
AU

1999 K1200LT (Bismarck)
1983 K100 #0000625 (Bavarian Belle)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2009, 1:32 pm
Rookie

This thread was started a long time back but i wanted to say +1 on service after the sale, EVEN when i didn't buy the product from them. From free mapsource upgrades that i should have had to pay for to warranty work on a GXM30 puck that was out of warranty.

But then again i have a lot of products registered on 'My Garmin' From M/C to bike to boat.

Have a nav I on the RT, a 2820 on the GT and various others for the other 'hobbies'.

Kudos to Garmin!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2009, 7:45 pm
Enthusiast

I had a 2610 which the screen went. Now I have a 550 and so far, 2 years, no problems.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode