Garmin Zumo 660 - the best yet! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garmin Zumo 660 - the best yet!

I just spent a couple of back to back long weekends with the Zumo 660. A short trip to Red River, NM and around that area, followed by a trip to Rapid City this weekend. It is installed on a K1300GT.

Read my full review.

There are a number of improvements to the 660, with Garmin fixing almost every complaint lodged against the 550. The display is big and bright, with more detail, broader choices of data readout and improved data input as compared to the Zumo 550.

The new mount is easier to use and the single cable brings all of the audio and USB connections to a location that can be out of direct weather impact.

The mount also comes with a removable weathertight cover for the electrical contacts.

To me, the function and usefulness of this GPS makes it one of the best upgrades Garmin has ever offered.

I posted a full review on my website.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Veteran

...yet no XM Radio, XM Weather, and far fewer routes. MSN Traffic is "Big City" only and who wants to ride their bike there all day? I prefer out of town, mountains, and canyons and MSN doesn't cut it.

No "MOST" detail either (why they left that out is beyond me). Other Nuvi's have 5 layers of detail, the 660 only three. No lock - not even a security screw! So I'd have to buy some $500 Tour-Tech mount to make it lockable.

Staying with the 550 for now, since tossing out the XM antenna stuff would be a $300 cost loss as well. I thought I'd want it but it doesn't float my boat (other than being flat which is nice) and I splurged for the Lifetime nuMaps instead.

Maybe they will do something with a Zumo 680 (?) model to make the conversion more palatable.

Mack
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 10:55 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
...yet no XM Radio, XM Weather, and far fewer routes. MSN Traffic is "Big City" only and who wants to ride their bike there all day? I prefer out of town, mountains, and canyons and MSN doesn't cut it.

No "MOST" detail either (why they left that out is beyond me). Other Nuvi's have 5 layers of detail, the 660 only three. No lock - not even a security screw! So I'd have to buy some $500 Tour-Tech mount to make it lockable.

Staying with the 550 for now, since tossing out the XM antenna stuff would be a $300 cost loss as well. I thought I'd want it but it doesn't float my boat (other than being flat which is nice) and I splurged for the Lifetime nuMaps instead.

Maybe they will do something with a Zumo 680 (?) model to make the conversion more palatable.

Mack
All good points, but I prefer to easily remove and lock the GPS out of sight and use a Pioneer XMP3 for XM. The XMP3 goes with me from bike to bike to car to home and costs under $200 with antenna and mount. I even use it in my pocket while on foot. It records up to 100 hours of XM and uses MicroSD memory for up to 16GB of MP3s. Additionally the volume control on the XMP3 is an actual pair of buttons that you can operate with gloves on. Garmin's XM solutions have always left me flat.

Click

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Randy, wow, thanks for the great review. I just installed my 660 on the K1300GT, but have not had a chance to do any riding with it yet. Hopefully, next week. I spent some time playing with it, but picked up a number of things from your review that I did not know.

Two questions. (1) How and where did you route/store the 3 cables that branch off the power cord? I was not sure if I should bury them in the battery compartment, or leave them out in case I decided to use one or more of them.
(2) How the heck did you generate all of those great screen shots of the 660 to put into your review? <g>

Don Goldberg
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 7:56 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongold
Randy, wow, thanks for the great review. I just installed my 660 on the K1300GT, but have not had a chance to do any riding with it yet. Hopefully, next week. I spent some time playing with it, but picked up a number of things from your review that I did not know.

Two questions. (1) How and where did you route/store the 3 cables that branch off the power cord? I was not sure if I should bury them in the battery compartment, or leave them out in case I decided to use one or more of them.
(2) How the heck did you generate all of those great screen shots of the 660 to put into your review? <g>

Don Goldberg
I routed all of the cables up behind the left fairing, where the ABS module is. That is where I tie together all of the wiring for the Autocom, lights, satellite radio, etc.

There is a "Screenshot" mode on the 660. When it is enabled there is a camera icon on the screen. When you touch the icon, it captures the current screen as a screenshot BMP file in the folder "/garmin/screenshots". I converted them to JPEG for the review.

Click

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Noob

Randy,

I've got one too. And for the all the naysayers, 1) processor is much faster on the 660 than the 550 (I had one months back), and 2) the resolution is much better, 480 x 272 pixels vs. 320 x 240 pixels, and WQVGA color vs.QVGA.

Battery life is 5 hours vs. 550 @ 4, and who needs a pay-sub to XM? With the faster processor, a 660 can handle well over 1500 mp3 songs on an 8Gb micro SD card, while a 550 will freeze or delay start-up with about 400 songs on an SD card. I have FM traffic for mine on the bike, and MSN traffic, stocks, news, local events, movie times, gas stations, and more in car mount

Here is my start up:

My "cockpit" with it.

Rear view of it on ZTechnik clutch mount

A click releases it from the firm hold of the cradle, and nice carry case comes with, as does a cover plate for the cradle's pins.

AZ-J
My bike
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2009, 7:20 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
The new mount is easier to use and the single cable brings all of the audio and USB connections to a location that can be out of direct weather impact.

The mount also comes with a removable weathertight cover for the electrical contacts.
What did you use to connect the supplied mount to your bike? From the photos, the install looks really clean.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:19 am
Noob

That looks like that used the U bracket RAM mount included in the box.

AZ-J
My bike
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2009, 5:34 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-J
That looks like that used the U bracket RAM mount included in the box.
I think not. Based on the GPS position, I am guessing that they are using the BMW GPS mount, part number 71 60 7 676 868, or 71607676868. It is a black plastic mount that replaces the flat plate at the base of the handlebars. The U-bracket mount won't fit a GT - the handlebars aren't round.

See these threads:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10287
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=8772 (especially the drawing in post #16)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2009, 5:38 am

From his link to his complete write up "On my GT I used the BMW mount, attaching the Zumo base with the four included screws. "

Friday
'07 K 1200 GT Deep Blue Metallic
10 Harley Davidson Stree Glide FLHX
History: '74 Honda CB360, '78 Yamaha XS750SE, '02 K1200RS Pacific Blue

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do" - Calvin and Hobbes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode