Help using new Zumo (applies to other Garmin GPSs) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 9:51 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Help using new Zumo (applies to other Garmin GPSs)

I just received my Garmin Zumo 660 (originally ordered in March, eek!) and am about to embark on a long trip. I found out that "North America" does not include Mexico, so I ordered a City Navigator NT pre-programmed data card (a micro SD card / SD card). I plugged it in, and now I can see Mexico addresses, points of interest, etc. on the Zumo, but not in the Garmin RoadTrip software.

Here are some dumb questions:

1. How can I get the matching map information for the Mexico chip into Garmin RoadTrip (Mac software), so I can use my computer for pre-planning waypoints in Mexico?

2. When I select a place to go in Mexico on the Zumo itself, the Zumo tells me that it is unable to calculate the route from my home here in the U.S. I tried two different destinations. Do I have to start in Mexico before I can get a route? Am I missing something obvious?

3. When I send waypoints from the RoadTrip software to the Zumo, where can I find the "comments" on the Zumo, the ones that I edited in RoadTrip? (In other words, how can I enter my friends' phone numbers and other info in RoadTrip so that they appear with the waypoint in the Zumo?

4. Is there a way to organize (group) waypoints in RoadTrip so that they stay grouped in the Zumo? Right now, everything appears uncategorized in Favorites on the Zumo.

5. This is a motorcycle forum. Can you recommend some good sites on the web for finding Garmin GPS help and info - including the Garmin RoadTrip software for Mac, which is poorly documented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 9:59 am
Veteran

www.zumoforums.com

http://garminzumo.wikispaces.com/

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2009, 7:42 am Thread Starter
Veteran

I called Garmin yesterday morning. Here are the answers:

1. Loading maps into RoadTrip or MapSource to match your MicroSD map:
You can't. If you wanted to have the maps in RoadTrip or MapSource, you should have bought the version on CD/DVD. There are pros and cons:

MicroSD - Easy, just plug in to your Garmin GPS and go. You can transfer it from one Garmin GPS to another. You can sell it later.
CD/DVD - Harder to install, but you get maps on your computer and your Garmin GPS. Uses memory space on the Garmin GPS. Not transferable - licensed to a single Garmin GPS.

2. Can't compute routes from the U.S. to a destination in Mexico:
That's the way it works. You must be in Mexico to compute a route in Mexico. Otherwise you will see an "Unable to calculate route" error. The Garmin GPS cannot create routes that cross between the built-in map and the MicroSD map.

3. Exporting RoadTrip waypoint comments to the Garmin GPS:
You can't. The comments are only stored locally on your computer. You must manually enter phone numbers, etc. in the Garmin GPS after the waypoints have been exported.

4. Grouping waypoints in RoadTrip, and then keeping the grouping in the Garmin GPS:
You can't. Waypoints appear in Favorites, listed in order of distance from your current location. You must assign categories one by one, in the Garmin GPS.

5. Other resources:
Check the web. (allikanbe1's post has two good websites.)

Additional comments or suggestions (from Garmin Support):

a. We discussed my complaint that focus can unexpectedly shift from the "Find" field to the list of waypoints on the lower left. If you are correcting your typing using the backspace key, you may find yourself deleting waypoints unexpectedly. This is a bad user interface design. The Garmin support person reminded me that you can Undo the waypoint deletions if you catch them right away, and agreed to take a bug report for a future release.

b. The Garmin support person reminded me that you don't have to enter full city or street names. Just three or four characters will do, and the RoadTrip software will provide a search list where you can choose the city/street you want. He said that many users try to type the full name, enter a typo, and can't figure out why they can't find what they want.

c. We discussed the differences between RoadTrip and MapSource. (I have not tried MapSource yet). He said that there are only minor differences between the two programs in what they can do. The RoadTrip software is relatively recent, and has some catching up to do, but they are hard at work on future, improved versions.

d. I asked him if I should perform my one-time free map update now (just before a long trip) or later. He told me that it didn't matter, but pointed out that the download is approximately 3 Gbytes (really??). It is a lot of data for my slow DSL, so I plan to put it off until I return. Apparently June is "update month" at Garmin, so the newest maps were just released. Minor updates happen every few weeks. Minor updates include new or corrected or deleted points of interest, etc.

'Hope this helps!

XMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I just received my Garmin Zumo 660 (originally ordered in March, eek!) and am about to embark on a long trip. I found out that "North America" does not include Mexico, so I ordered a City Navigator NT pre-programmed data card (a micro SD card / SD card). I plugged it in, and now I can see Mexico addresses, points of interest, etc. on the Zumo, but not in the Garmin RoadTrip software.

Here are some dumb questions:

1. How can I get the matching map information for the Mexico chip into Garmin RoadTrip (Mac software), so I can use my computer for pre-planning waypoints in Mexico?

2. When I select a place to go in Mexico on the Zumo itself, the Zumo tells me that it is unable to calculate the route from my home here in the U.S. I tried two different destinations. Do I have to start in Mexico before I can get a route? Am I missing something obvious?

3. When I send waypoints from the RoadTrip software to the Zumo, where can I find the "comments" on the Zumo, the ones that I edited in RoadTrip? (In other words, how can I enter my friends' phone numbers and other info in RoadTrip so that they appear with the waypoint in the Zumo?

4. Is there a way to organize (group) waypoints in RoadTrip so that they stay grouped in the Zumo? Right now, everything appears uncategorized in Favorites on the Zumo.

5. This is a motorcycle forum. Can you recommend some good sites on the web for finding Garmin GPS help and info - including the Garmin RoadTrip software for Mac, which is poorly documented.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode