BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Looking for good GPS

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  tsienville 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 K1200RS, and I am looking for good advice on what type of GPS to purchase. All ideas are welcome.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Gps

Got the same bike. I use a MIO168 (CoPilot PC 5) Same size as the Navman 510 which I had and which was good when it worked, but sometimes sent you 180 degrees into another state. This one has Windows MP3 games and a heap of other crap which I dont use......however !! I stick it on the tacho with the rubber sucker, run soft wire through the lot of it, incase it falls, has not yet, and it works fine. Got an OZ bloke giving me directions which I can hear up to 120kph. Could not understand the American birds accent.

It has dirt roads and freeways which are not yet open on it. Plus if you take it to some place it never knew existed, like a bush track into the river, you can record it so it brings you back next time.

Attachments

#3 ·
Garmin 276C

I've just bought one of these and am very pleased with it. Chose it ahead of the 2610 because the touch screen operation of the 2610 might be fiddly with gloves on. It's easy to plan routes and set up waypoints etc, and it's quick to operate. I need to get a bigger memory card than 128 Mb for trips to Europe but the standard card is fine for UK travel.

I mounted it using a combination of the BMW mount and the mount supplied by Garmin. A few pictures are attached.

Attachments

#4 ·
I have a 2610. The touch screen I no problem with gloves. I uses non-proprietary CompactFlash memory cards which are cheaper than Garmin memory cards for other models. A 2 gig card will hold the entire US. I highly recommend the 2610.

#6 ·
Here's a good place to learn about GPSRs (GPS Receivers) for the neophyte: http://gpsinformation.net/ .

There seems to be two favorites in the motorcycling community, both from Garmin:
- the 2610 http://gpsinformation.us/sp26xx/sp2610rev.html
- the 276C http://www.gpsinformation.org/wilson/g276crev.htm

I use a Garmin GPS V which I've had for years.

On some GPSRs with color screens the screens can be unreadable in direct sunlight. Make sure you try before you buy color or can return it without a hassle.

#7 ·
I also have a K1200RS and use a Garmin Quest when touring the UK and the rest of Europe. I basically plan the routes on my PC before I start the tour and download the necessary maps and routes. I then vary these day to day as I feel fit just using the Quest device.

It also fits to the bike quite nicely using a combination of the Garmin Quest motorcycle mount and the Gadgetguys mounting hardware. It is also wired to my Autocom system for voice directions and is totally waterproof.

See here for pictures: http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGallery/BMW K1200RS_KitIII_BPII_Quest/BMWK1200RS_BKIII_BPII_Quest.htm

#9 ·
Hopefully you haven't purchased the 2620 yet! It is NOT recommended for motorcycles since it uses a hard drive. The 2610 uses Compact Flash and the 2720 and 2730 use other solid state technologies. All three of these are motorcycle approved as are the 276c and 376c. The Quest is also a popular choice. The 2620 is not!!!

Others on this and other boards have had failure using the 2620 and they are NOT covered by warranty due to abuse.

Randy

#11 ·
Congratulations! The 2720 is an excellent unit, very similar to the 2610 which so many people love. The screen is improved with higher resolution and it is better in the sunlight. It (as all 27xx models) lost the transparency feature and the three modes for the hard buttons. Garmin justifies losing the transparency feature by the higher resolution - you can still display this info on the top and bottom while viewing more map area. They have no explaination as to why they dropped the 3 mode buttons (press, press press, press & hold) and I have written them asking them to consider adding them back in future firmware releases. Played on the saftety issue of changing screens via a press press versus looking down at a menu to get to it. Maybe if enough people also complain and keep mentioning the safety factor.....hint, hint!

Merry Christmas!

Randy

#12 ·
htheater said:
Hopefully you haven't purchased the 2620 yet! It is NOT recommended for motorcycles since it uses a hard drive. The 2610 uses Compact Flash and the 2720 and 2730 use other solid state technologies. All three of these are motorcycle approved as are the 276c and 376c. The Quest is also a popular choice. The 2620 is not!!!

Others on this and other boards have had failure using the 2620 and they are NOT covered by warranty due to abuse.

Randy

I haven't heard that about the 2620 (which is what I have - with the BMW mount). I can see where it could be problematic though - but guess I've been lucky. I've had it about a year and used it both on my Kawi and now the KRS.

If it breaks, it will give me a good excuse to get the 2730 which is SO nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.