Looking for good GPS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Looking for good GPS

I have a 2003 K1200RS, and I am looking for good advice on what type of GPS to purchase. All ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 9:54 pm
Veteran

Gps

Got the same bike. I use a MIO168 (CoPilot PC 5) Same size as the Navman 510 which I had and which was good when it worked, but sometimes sent you 180 degrees into another state. This one has Windows MP3 games and a heap of other crap which I dont use......however !! I stick it on the tacho with the rubber sucker, run soft wire through the lot of it, incase it falls, has not yet, and it works fine. Got an OZ bloke giving me directions which I can hear up to 120kph. Could not understand the American birds accent.

It has dirt roads and freeways which are not yet open on it. Plus if you take it to some place it never knew existed, like a bush track into the river, you can record it so it brings you back next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tacho.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1054  

Last edited by Papilio; Dec 14th, 2005 at 10:19 pm.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2005, 6:58 am

Garmin 276C

I've just bought one of these and am very pleased with it. Chose it ahead of the 2610 because the touch screen operation of the 2610 might be fiddly with gloves on. It's easy to plan routes and set up waypoints etc, and it's quick to operate. I need to get a bigger memory card than 128 Mb for trips to Europe but the standard card is fine for UK travel.

I mounted it using a combination of the BMW mount and the mount supplied by Garmin. A few pictures are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Mount1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1057   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Mount2.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1058   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Mount3.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1059   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Mount4.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1060   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Mount5.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1061  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Addict

I have a 2610. The touch screen I no problem with gloves. I uses non-proprietary CompactFlash memory cards which are cheaper than Garmin memory cards for other models. A 2 gig card will hold the entire US. I highly recommend the 2610.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2005, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
I have a 2610. The touch screen I no problem with gloves. I uses non-proprietary CompactFlash memory cards which are cheaper than Garmin memory cards for other models. A 2 gig card will hold the entire US. I highly recommend the 2610.
I agree and Costco has the 2610 for $499. That is a great deal.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2005, 9:16 pm
Enthusiast

Here's a good place to learn about GPSRs (GPS Receivers) for the neophyte: http://gpsinformation.net/ .

There seems to be two favorites in the motorcycling community, both from Garmin:
- the 2610 http://gpsinformation.us/sp26xx/sp2610rev.html
- the 276C http://www.gpsinformation.org/wilson/g276crev.htm

I use a Garmin GPS V which I've had for years.

On some GPSRs with color screens the screens can be unreadable in direct sunlight. Make sure you try before you buy color or can return it without a hassle.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2005, 7:58 am

I also have a K1200RS and use a Garmin Quest when touring the UK and the rest of Europe. I basically plan the routes on my PC before I start the tour and download the necessary maps and routes. I then vary these day to day as I feel fit just using the Quest device.

It also fits to the bike quite nicely using a combination of the Garmin Quest motorcycle mount and the Gadgetguys mounting hardware. It is also wired to my Autocom system for voice directions and is totally waterproof.

See here for pictures: http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGaller...BPII_Quest.htm
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I have decided to get the Garmin 2620.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:56 am

Hopefully you haven't purchased the 2620 yet! It is NOT recommended for motorcycles since it uses a hard drive. The 2610 uses Compact Flash and the 2720 and 2730 use other solid state technologies. All three of these are motorcycle approved as are the 276c and 376c. The Quest is also a popular choice. The 2620 is not!!!

Others on this and other boards have had failure using the 2620 and they are NOT covered by warranty due to abuse.

Randy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2005, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

I ended up getting the Garmin 2720 from my wife. It's a good thing she reads this as well.

Thank you very much!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode