Help w BMW Zumo 550 slow to start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2009, 11:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Help w BMW Zumo 550 slow to start

I have a BMW Zumo, purchased with GT in November, 2008 that takes nearly 4 minutes to acquire satellites and draw the map screen. This is NOT acceptable. Anyone have similar problem and how did you resolve it?

Spoke with Garmin and they had me reset the unit. Problem still is present.

They will replace the unit but I may want to opt for a different one. Suggestions please.

RacerJack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2009, 2:45 pm
Enthusiast

update the firmware
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2009, 2:47 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjack
I have a BMW Zumo, purchased with GT in November, 2008 that takes nearly 4 minutes to acquire satellites and draw the map screen. This is NOT acceptable. Anyone have similar problem and how did you resolve it?

Spoke with Garmin and they had me reset the unit. Problem still is present.

They will replace the unit but I may want to opt for a different one. Suggestions please.
Do you have your music organized in individual files or one flat file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2009, 3:24 pm
Veteran

Hopefully you also have the current firmware installed. If you do follow below:

Does it acquire satellites faster if the SD card is out of the unit? Should be less than one minute to acquire without it.

If it is faster without the card, then you got some buggered up files on the cards: too many songs (+1000 is bad), screwed up MP3 tags or some that aren't tagged correctly, corrupted *.gpx imported files, or just a bunch of fragmented/buggered stuff that occurs at times, etc. on the card. Less likely would be a buggered *.img map file on the Zumo itself. If so, backup all files on the Zumo for safe keeping and reinstall the larger map files.

You can try and installing MP3 files in multiple folders. If that works great. However, chances are you have a corrupted MP3 that the Zumo skips during the initialization in multiple folders and may never play in random mode.

Mine occasionally "burps" a file on the SD card for whatever reason (skips, locks-up, slow loads, SD card read/writing errors, etc.). I have to check it once a month or so against a master MP3 list off an external hard-drive. I also have around 600 MP3's in ONE folder and boot time is about 55-64 seconds. A lot of it may be the ID tagging methods you use on the songs too (I strip off all track numbering info from each song as too many formats on numbering exists (e.g. 0-1, 1, 2-15, 0, 1/12, 03, etc.). I name Genre as "All Music" vs. Country, Jazz, Pop, whatever" and keep the album art to less than 300x300 pixels and <22 Kb in size. Too much stuff clogs it up, imo. It isn't the best nor smartest MP3 player around.

Mack
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2009, 5:13 pm
Addict

My 550 takes twice as long to boot up, and locate the sats when I have the SD card in with about 3 to 4 gigs of music. Try pulling out your SD card, see if that speeds things up. Also like mentioned above go to Garmins site, make sure your running the latest update of firmware. I deleted all the voices from mine except for Jill. She's my girl, and the only voice I want giving me directions. Not sure if that speeds things up, but it freed up some memory. Garmin site explains how to delete the voices you don't use. Almost forgot I read on our sister site the zumo 660 is suppose to be much faster, but has no XM radio. If your going to swap out the 550 you might want to consider the 660.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 10:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Zumo slow to load testing

Hello and thanks for your assistance.

Am in process of trying the suggestions.

First, the Zumo loads almost instantly when the SD card is removed.

I had 440 songs in 1 flat file folder named MP3. They consumed about 2 GIG of an 8 GIG card. I reformatted the card and am loading the folder with "fresh" MP3 files, 260 songs at 1 gig total size and will see what startup time turns out to be.

RacerJack
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 9:00 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:

I had 440 songs in 1 flat file folder named MP3. They consumed about 2 GIG of an 8 GIG card. I reformatted the card and am loading the folder with "fresh" MP3 files, 260 songs at 1 gig total size and will see what startup time turns out to be.
Your problem is solved. Just put your tunes in a lot of smaller folders and you will be OK. I have a 2 gig card and had the same problem. I split tunes in a dozen folders nad it now loads faster.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 9:00 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:

Your problem is solved. Just put your tunes in a lot of smaller folders and you will be OK. I have a 2 gig card and had the same problem. I split tunes in a dozen folders and it now loads faster.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Addict

Quote:
Mine takes a minimum of two minutes in the morning after being in the garage all night, or longer. Sometimes it has taken more than a half hour. I just tested it without the SD card and it still took 2 minutes. It has the latest firmware and on American English and British English are the only voices loaded. Two minutes is unacceptable to me considering...

I have a Garmin 205 in my car that boot ups and acquires satellites in less than a minute. So I know Garmin makes at least one unit that works quickly.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 9:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Zumo, slow to start

Spoke with Garmin tech today. What a joke. They told me that I needed 50 or fewer mpe songs on my SD card and the start up would be much faster. I think this answer is ridiculous.
Has anyone tried to start their zumo with a blank SD card? If so how fast idoes it start as compared to "NO CARD"
Iam currently on the road and have no way to try the above.
Also, I will try the suggeestion of putting my mp3s in several folders. Garmin says it makes no difference how many file folders the mp3s are in. We will see.
I suggest we push garmin to work on the priority at startup that makes the GPS software first priority and the music, audiobooks etc lower priority.

RacerJack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode