Touratech K1300GT GPS Mount with two 12V Sockets-Have one? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2009, 6:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Touratech K1300GT GPS Mount with two 12V Sockets-Have one?

Hello to all. I just purchased a BMW Nav 4 GPS (the Garmin 660) for my (two week old) K1300GT. This is my first new bike and first bike purchase in five years (over twenty years of owning used bikes) The Touratech site lists part number 611-0110 as a GPS Mount Adaptor with 12V socket for BMW K1200GT and K1300GT. If someone has one, do you like the mount and how did you attach the GPS to the bracket of the Mount Adaptor. The part costs $211.40. Any advice would be helpful regarding installation issues, suggestions and likes/dislikes. The Nav 4 GPS does not come with any gear to connect the cradle to the mount as BMW sells kits for each bike. The K1300GT kits runs about $40. Can someone tell me what parts are in the kit so I can determine whether parts of the kit can be adapted for this application.

Thanks to all. I have learned a lot and have answered many questions I have had in the last few weeks. Thanks, Molecule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:13 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecule
Hello to all. I just purchased a BMW Nav 4 GPS (the Garmin 660) for my (two week old) K1300GT. This is my first new bike and first bike purchase in five years (over twenty years of owning used bikes) The Touratech site lists part number 611-0110 as a GPS Mount Adaptor with 12V socket for BMW K1200GT and K1300GT. If someone has one, do you like the mount and how did you attach the GPS to the bracket of the Mount Adaptor. The part costs $211.40. Any advice would be helpful regarding installation issues, suggestions and likes/dislikes. The Nav 4 GPS does not come with any gear to connect the cradle to the mount as BMW sells kits for each bike. The K1300GT kits runs about $40. Can someone tell me what parts are in the kit so I can determine whether parts of the kit can be adapted for this application.

Thanks to all. I have learned a lot and have answered many questions I have had in the last few weeks. Thanks, Molecule
Keith,

Can you tell us more about the cradle and cabling on your Nav IV:
* Does it have the standard four hole mount?
* Is the cable hard-wired into the cradle?
* Is there a "bump" on the bottom of your cradle where the wire comes in?
* Does your Nav IV have a small cover to protect the mount when you want to remove the GPS (to take inside for using with a computer, or for when you are riding around town)?

I have a Garmin Zumo 660. It came two cradles - one for a car and one with the standard four-holes for a motorcycle mount. The motorcycle cradle has a rear-facing "bump" on the bottom that can get in the way of some four hole mount plates. You must make sure that the four holes on the mounting plate are near the bottom to give the bump the clearance it needs (or drill new holes). The motorcycle mount comes with a U-bracket with a RAM ball, a double RAM ball clamp, and a mounting plate with a RAM ball adapter on the back.

The Garmin-supplied parts are in bags with the following labels:
* RAM-B-309-7U CLUTCH, BRAKE, U-BOLT, KIT
* RAM-B-201U-A RAM DBL SOCKET ARM
* RAM-B-347U RAM BASE MOUNT

All say "RAM Mounts www.ram-mount.com" http://www.ram-mount.com You can enter the part numbers at the RAM Mount website to see photos of the Garmin-supplied parts.

The Zumo 660 cradle has a single cable coming out the back. Further down the cable, it splits into four separate cables - power (bare wires), audio out, audio in, and mini-USB female (for a traffic adapter).

I didn't use the Garmin-supplied RAM mount parts. Instead, I bought a ZTechnik Z6150 mount. If you decide to buy one (and your Nav IV has the bump), be sure to get a freshly ordered one off the shelf with the extra drill holes for the 660. http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z6150.html

The ZTechnik mount is in a convenient place for reaching the Zumo controls, and it has a lot of positioning flexibility. It is more out of the way when the Zumo is off, too. A minor issue is that it makes it more difficult to insert or remove the ignition key, but I'm used to it now and don't give it a second thought.

I keep the extra wires hidden under the battery cover. The power is currently connected directly to the battery, but I bought a Fuzeblock, and will connect it to the relayed power, to prevent accidental discharge (by leaving the Zumo on). I plan to install it in a month or two along with some other farkles.

P.S. You can buy a weather cap, the Garmin RAM mount, other mounts, etc. for a Zumo 660 at: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...0#accessoryTab. I do not know if they will fit your Nav IV and its special cradle with the extra buttons.

P.P.S. I wonder if BMW sells that Nav IV cradle as a separate replacement part, and if so, will it fit a Zumo 660? I like the extra buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190205.JPG
Views:	845
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	10949   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190210.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	10950   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190215.JPG
Views:	952
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	10951   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190216.JPG
Views:	828
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	10952   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190218.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	10953  

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Sep 6th, 2009 at 10:26 am.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2009, 7:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

More Information on the BMW Nav 4 Cradle

Hi, XMagnarider:

First, thanks a lot for the excellent, comprehensive reply to my questions. I appreciate your help, particularly with the pictures. Your rig is very clean and neat. I was looking at the Touratech piece to bring the GPS more into my line of sight. Your cradle looks very different from mine. My cradle is wider than tall, whereas your cradle is taller than wide.

Let me answer your questions. The cradle has the standard four hole mount. The cable is hard wired into the cradle. There is a bump immediately below the four hole mount where the cable wire comes in. The Nav IV comes with a cover to protect the mount.

The Nav IV did not come with a car mount, nor did the Nav IV come with any RAM parts that you specified. Perhaps the K1300GT kit (must be ordered separately) has these parts. Thanks for giving me the item numbers as CycleGadgets has them all. I am going to call my dealer to see if the kit has parts that are compatible with the Touratech mount. Otherwise, I will order the parts from CycleGadgets.

The Nav 4 cradle has a single wire coming out the back. Further down the cable, it splits into two (not four) separate cables. One cable has a white and black plastic cover with a white and a black wire. The other cable has a white plastic cover and has three wires (black, red and purple). I am not sure which cable is for power and the purpose of the second cable. The device does not come with any installation instructions (yikes!). The cables do not include "standard" audio cables such as a 1/8th inch stereo plug.

I don't think the Nav IV cradle will fit your GPS as the shape seems to be quite different. I hope that the U bolt will "size down" small enough to clamp onto the Touratech mount. I am going to have the dealer install the GPS as part of my purchase deal.

If I can figure out how to add pictures, I will take pictures of the installation after I get the bike back from the dealer on Friday (it's going in on Wednesday evening). I am going to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island on the bike of Monday. These are very exciting times. Best regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:48 am
Rookie

Touratech

Quote:

I have the GPS Mount Adapter With 12v Socket BMW ZUMO 550. It is more at eye level with a round dowel to attach the GPS. I have the Touratech Zumo 450/550 Handlebar Mount LOCKING Part Number: 065-0141. I wired the two DC outlets directly to the battery with a 15 amp in line fuse.
You would want this one like my friends. Best combo on the market as far as I'm concerned. TOURATECH Zumo 660 handlebar mount BLACK LOCKING Part Number: 065-0521. You may find a different mount. It will take a mount that will attach to 1/2" tube/bar.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 10:58 pm
Noob

Did you find an answer to your question? I also have a new GT and a Nav IV. You will need that $40 mounting bracket kit and a spacer kit 71600442055. You should not need any extra plugs. There already is a plug on the GT next to the stirring head. You can directly plug your cradle into the three wire plug. I could not find a place to plug the two wire plug so I did not use it. The GPS unit seems to work just fine with out using this plug.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 10:51 am
Veteran

Quote:
minor issue is that it makes it more difficult to insert or remove the ignition key
It became a major issue for me. I have a garage door opener on my key fob, which would often bind when turning the key. It got so annoying, that I opted to remove the whole assembly and move the Zumo 660 to a RAM mount.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 2:44 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkboater
I have the GPS Mount Adapter With 12v Socket BMW ZUMO 550. It is more at eye level with a round dowel to attach the GPS. I have the Touratech Zumo 450/550 Handlebar Mount LOCKING Part Number: 065-0141. I wired the two DC outlets directly to the battery with a 15 amp in line fuse.
You would want this one like my friends. Best combo on the market as far as I'm concerned. TOURATECH Zumo 660 handlebar mount BLACK LOCKING Part Number: 065-0521. You may find a different mount. It will take a mount that will attach to 1/2" tube/bar.

Stinkboater,

Could you please post some pictures of your gps mount.
I am thinking about buying one, but the only picture on the website looks like the 1/2 rod would make the zumo 550 stick out very far in front of the dash?
I thought about using a gadget guy mount to the rod for the zumo.

Also, I live in North Ga., maybe we could meet up for a ride sometime.

Thanks, Rodney

1983 HONDA CX650 TURBO
2007 BMW K1200GT Blue
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2011, 12:45 pm
Noob

I recently got the Touratech mount, and I would not recommend it. I mounted my new Garmin Montana to it (which I do like BTW) and the vibration is horrible! I found myself reaching out to steady the GPS so I could read it. In fairness, I used Ram mounts to attach the GPS the bracket, so the GPS sticks out even further, creating more of a lever. I'll be getting the BMW mounting bracket (71607671108) to see if that helps, but I have a feeling it won't.
The Touratech mount also blocks the small amount of air flow that comes up under the windshield. This may be an issue on a hot day.

I do like the extra power connectors up front though.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1172296...04556291509426

https://picasaweb.google.com/1172296...04526294340258

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode