Macintosh Safari and Garmin Communicator - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2009, 6:52 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Macintosh Safari and Garmin Communicator

To those riders using Garmin software on Macintosh (others can move on, there is nothing to see here):

Ever since I bought a Garmin Zumo 660 last summer, I have been trying to get the Garmin Communicator browser plug-in software to work with Apple's default Safari browser, but to no avail. I found a workaround by using the Camino browser, but I prefer Safari. (Firefox would probably serve as a workaround too.)

Garmin released a new version of the Garmin Communicator (2.8.3) recently. It worked for me from Safari on Garmin's Communicator Test web page, but not on the MyGarmin/Dashboard web page, which is the important one. Obviously, they were close to having a fix for my problems.

I sent an email to Garmin tech support and they suggested that I check for the Flip4Mac WMV player plug-in.

The root cause of the problem was that I was still using an old version of the Flip4Mac WMV player plug-in. Removing the two Flip4Mac plug-in files (from "Library/Internet Plug-ins" directory) solved the Garmin Communicator problem.

I installed the latest Flip4Mac WMV player (2.3.0.14) and now everything works under Safari, including the Flip4Mac WMV player AND Garmin Communicator.

I hope this helps someone with the same problems.

Cheers,

XMR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode