nuvi 500 & 550 comments? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 8:06 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Question nuvi 500 & 550 comments?

I've put off replacing the eTrex in my tank bag with something that actually works for as long as possible because I thought I couldn't afford a GPS. But it looks to me like the Garmin nuvi 550 is waterproof, can be inexpensively RAM mounted, has a basic moving map that will get me from A to B, shows actual speed, speed limits, and has points of interest, all of which will be a tremendous improvement. I don't have an audio helmet, so don't even need the voice. Recommendations and feedback, please. The bike is an R100GS.

BMBLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 9:10 pm
Noob

I've used a Nuvi 500 for the past year, and it's been great.
The RAM mount onto the reservoir cap is very secure, but with no vibration
I definitely recommend it
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2010, 8:14 am
Noob

Garmin Nuvi 500

I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 500 on my R90S for over a year now and have been very pleased. Used it to route myself and my son to the BMWMOA national rally this year.
I also have used it with my Honda XL600R off road. All the dirt roads I have been on were in the Nuvi!
The unit has the added lakes and river maps so I have also used it for kayaking. I need to upgrade the maps for the lakes to a higher resolution. Works great but needs a little more there.
I like to download my trips to Garmin Road Trip so I have a record of where I went.
All-in-all I am very pleased with the unit. I have had Magellan Crossover, Mio C220. Cobra 2100, Garmin Nuvi 255, Garmin GPS III, Garmin Streetpilot 2720, and still have a Garmin V.
Big advantages are: waterproof, 8+ hr battery, on road routing, topographical (off-road) mapping, added lakes and river mapping, ease in programming, detours works very nice, locating addresses works very good, easy to use with gloves on, and auto shutdown when vehicle is shut off.
I added a fishing swivel to the battery door so I can fasten a lanyard to the motorcycle as added security.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode