New Toy - Garmin Nuvi1490 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:03 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Question New Toy - Garmin Nuvi1490

Just got a new Garmin Nuvi 1490 (I use it in the car, although I'm fooling around with how I could mount it on the bike). I downloaded a POI loader, and I loaded all the BMW dealerships from a file I got on this site. It seemed to work... the loader said it loaded 160 new points. But where are they? The menu choices are "points of interest", "auto services" and so forth, but I don't see anything about BMW motorcycle dealerships and if I were on the road I wouldn't know how I would use the GPS to find one. Any advice from the gurus among you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2010, 7:33 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Bump

OK, still tinkering with the Garmin 1490T. Irv Seaver BMW guys did a superior job of fixing me up with a cradle and wiring so I can use it on the bike. I have a Cardo-Scala bluetooth headset which I pair with my Blackberry Curve, so I am thinking I should be able to pair everything so I can use the phone through my headset and also listen to GPS directions.... it's not working. Anyone tried this? I can pair my phone to the headset, and then when I try to pair the GPS it just says "unable to connect". I can pair the GPS to the phone first and then when I pair the headset it seems to work but I still can't hear the GPS. What am I missing?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2010, 12:37 am
Veteran

I don't know about the 1490, but I just now reloaded my Zumo and it has 142 or 143 U.S. dealers so I don't know what file you have with 160? I got it off the gmccurdy1 site last week when I found he was retiring as AT&T killed the personal webpages that I announced some time back in this GPS forum. It's gone, but I have the last file he did and just reloaded my Zumo and all is well.

Under the E:/Garmin/POI folder I already had BMW US Dealers.gpi . I moved it off onto the C:/Temp 2 folder for safe keeping. I placed all the Zumo US Dealers items from the download file into my C:/Temp and there were 8 files (4 quadrants of U.S. and some BMP files for each). I ran POI Loader and located the C:/Temp folder and it loaded them all into the Zumo in it's Garmin/GPX folder. I renamed the newly made poi.gpi file to BMW US Dealers.gpi and unplugged the Zumo from the computer and started it.

I found the BMW US Dealers in a Zumo Icon located in "Where to? > Extras > Custom POIs" and the 4 quadrants (NE, NW, SE, SW) of BMW US Dealers are there with addresses and phone numbers.

It might ask if you want to load new data too. Maybe your downloaded file is messed up because I don't think there's 160 U.S. dealers, maybe with Canada there is?

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2010, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I think I'm going to give up on this altogether and be happy I have a powered cradle on the bike so I can watch the map. I can't get the POI loader to do anything other than what I already talked about, which doesn't seem to get me anywhere, and it appears the 1490T is not compatible with the Cardo-Scala wireless headset either.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Veteran

The 1490 may be limited in function over the Zumo. You might be able to load all the dealers into Mapsource and then load them into the 1490? Just a thought.

I've pretty much given up on Bluetooth. I bought two Nolan N-103s and I still need to use a wire at times. Bluetooth is a fickle beast between different manufacturer brands of equipment I've found. I really don't like the battery charging all the time either. The Nolan's have to run at full volume with earplugs (they are more noisy than my Shoei Multi-tec or the X-12) and the result is the n-Com battery dies sooner. When it goes, you also lose the ability to alter the volume so the helmet is essentially dead until i can get to a charger for three hours. First version of the n-Com was mono and it sounded very bad. Their n-Com II is better sounding and stereo, but it also dies out too quick for me.

I had to go back to the Autocom Pro AVI and the wires and the quieter Shoei's too. At least it works and sounds good with all the inputs I run into it. No sudden battery death either which is very good.

Mack
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2010, 2:07 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

My Scala-Rider works well for me, because all I ever wanted was to be able to answer the damn phone rather than feel it buzz, find a place to stop, take off my gloves, take off my helmet, fish out my reading glasses, pull out the phone, determine whether it was an important call or not, and decide whether to call back or not. Having the GPS has given me an extra item on the wish list, but the single critical item is still the phone, and for that it works well enough.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2010, 9:58 am

Hi Chuck,

There are some key Bluetooth differences between the Zumo and Nuvi models that aren't spelled out in the product documentation.

The Zumo uses Bluetooth for all communications. Phone calls, music, and verbal cues from the GPS are sent via Bluetooth. The Nuvi uses Bluetooth only for cell phone connections. Music and GPS prompts are sent to the internal speaker, wired headphone connection, or FM transmitter (specific models).

So, to make it work I bought a Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the headphone port on the Nuvi. I purchased a Cardo BTA II but there are others out there like WiRevo. Connecting it required an adapter plug from RadioShack to convert 2.5mm to 3.5mm. Paired the Cardos and viola. Mounted the transmitter to the back of the Nuvi with a small bit of velcro.

Works pretty good but sometimes there is a bit of lag between all the devices.

To use the phone and GPS at the same time with the headset would require pairing the phone with the GPS, leaving the headset paired with the transmitter. I haven't tried it yet.

Make sense?

06 K12GT DGM - Bavarian 'Bahn Burner
08 X6 Sapphire Black - The Batmobile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode