Garmin zumo question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2010, 3:43 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Garmin zumo question

I have a zumo 450. It is the third zumo I've owned. The first one failed within the first 90 days and was replaced by Garmin. The second had the motorcycle cradle short contact points on the bottom of the unit. It was one month out of warranty, so no luck getting it replaced or fixed for free. So I bought another one for my motorcycle.

I have a Garmin 205W for my car. It is much faster acquiring satellites than my zumo 450. I've tried all the suggestions I've found on the zumo forum and it still is slow to acquire satellites. Now the screen is acting up. It frequently asks me if I'm sure I want to delete all user data. I've cleaned the screen, especially around the bezel. Nothing.

I'm impressed with the 205W but not the zumo 550/450. I see Garmin has new zumo units, the 660/665 and the 220. Before I take the chance and replace the now ailing 450, I wanted to ask for impressions and opinions of the 660 or the new 220. I don't care if the unit plays mp3 or has bluetooth. I do care about the basic function and long term reliability.

Based on experience, are there any opinions on the new 660 or 220?

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Addict

I think that you have been unlucky.

My 550 has been excellent and most of my buddies use them without issue.

I dont know what to compare its satelite capture rate to but it has never kept me waiting when I want to ride.

Mine also has to load up about 5g of music which slows the start up down a little but ive still never been kept waiting.

By the time I start the engine, zip up jacket, helmet, gloves etc its just rock and roll.

I would buy another one.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2010, 8:18 pm
Enthusiast

I've owned both the 550 and the 600 and I prefer the design and layout on the 600 to the 550. Wish it had XM, but with the memory card I can hold PLENTY of music. The screen is larger and in my opinion the mount is a BIG improvement over the older series. There has been some complaining about the way the 600 operates, mainly from people who do a lot more with their units than get from point a to point b.
There is a wealth of information on the ZUMO FORUMS @ www.zumoforums.com

Great bunch of HELPFUL people over there will help with any question you might have.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Veteran

I've got the 550 and the XM antenna.

XM kept jacking their rates up and I finally had enough of that and dropped them. I also had the weather part and it showed a basic Weather Channel display of the weather in various major city locations.

The Zumo music player (MP3) is meager at best (No equalizer!) and is somewhat low in volume with some earphones or speakers. Limited on number too (1000 MP3 songs) even though you use a larger SD card in it. I now use a Sony Walkman X-series player which smokes the Zumo on audio sound quality.

My Zumo beef was the rotting rubber on the 550 cradle and I did replace the motorcycle cradle 5 times within the warranty period. Some were for the scratchy audio due to vibration, but that has been remedied with the pieces of Velcro on the cradle to tighten up the Zumo-to-Cradle connection. A bit of dielectric grease on the pins has been good too.

The 660 is nice, but lacks the ability to upgrade to XM Radio or weather if you want. It's more like a degraded 550 with a better screen and a bit better Bluetooth (which really sucks in my book, and I've gone back to hardwire!).

If you got the 450, then why bother to upgrade now? The maps haven't changed that much nor have become obsolete like on the 2xxx series. Just upgrade the maps and keeping riding along.

Mack
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2010, 9:53 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks. I've gotten a bunch of information form the zumo forum, as mentioned in my original post. But, I decided to ask these questions away from there because I'm a bit negative when it comes to zumo and I want facts not defensive postings.

I would hate to get another one, which won't be cheap, just to have issues. For me a GPS that costs hundreds of dollars should work as advertised and be reliable versus being throw away junk in a couple of years.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode