hardwiring a nuvi 550 on a k1200r sport - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 7:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

hardwiring a nuvi 550 on a k1200r sport

I want to hardwire my gps. i have a gps hardwire cable and want to know how to wire it on a k1200r sport. Can it be wired directly to the battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2010, 9:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

gps

Is there anyone who has hardwired a garmin 550 on a k1200r sport using the existing harness right in front of the battery? I found the connecting wire harness , part #83300413585 and want to know if I can use a mini usb to hardwire the gps?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2010, 7:56 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Mark, I had the same thought about wiring my new Garmin 1490. It turned out the voltage was different and I would have fried my GPS if I had done it. My solution was to get a cigarette accessory adapter and wire that to the battery, then use a cigarette lighter plug/accessory power cord to the GPS. It's always hot, but I don't leave the GPS on my bike when I'm not there anyway. All the wiring is under the left side tupperware. I like the idea that if I get a new GPS, all I have to do is get a new cradle and I'm good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2010, 11:16 am
Enthusiast

I hardwired my NUVI 455 to the harness in front of the battery on my '07 GT without a problem. Works fine and powers down about 20 seconds after turning off key. Be aware that there are two power leads from the plug and one ground. The ground on mine is brown and the power is red/white and the third wire is a blue/green that is a pulsed power cable that is to be used with the stock BMW GPS only.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2010, 3:05 am Thread Starter
Noob

What I ended up doing is I bought the powerlet cigarette adapter that hooks up with a SAE connector directly to the battery tender SAE plug . Powerlet has a solution for many different applications and if they dont have what you need they will make it. Thanks Guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode