Looking for GPS advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Looking for GPS advice

I'm trying to decide what GPS unit to purchase. Currently using a GPS V with a Touratech mount and it's time for an upgrade. I'd probably stay with a Touratech mount.

The 376C is out because the $30 a month for weather rader is just too steep for me.

The contenders so far are below. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. 2610 - Seems to be on the way out of production. Worries me a bit that there are so many refurbed units being sold on-line. Seems like they must fail quite a bit.

2. 2720 - I like the 3D aspect and fully loaded maps. A little concerned about the changes made in some of the buttons but I'm thinking I would get used to it.

3 276C - May be too large? I don't like the idea of having to buy Garmin memory and downloading the maps. The quality of the display sounds good though.

4. BMW NAvigator 2 - I guess this is the same as the 2610 with extra buttons ??? A BMW dealer is selling them on EBay with a mount for your bike included for $999. I'd like to see what the BMW mount looks like on the GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 2:01 am

What GPS to buy

Hi there,
I'm a very enthusiastic user of the 2610. Have been using it in France and UK, riding in the countryside and in big cities, in hot sunshine, in rain and in freezing weather: no gripes.
Because Garmin has now presented the 2700 series, you can probably get the 2610 at a bargain, or will very soon.
Personally I like the 3-D-presentation too, but I wouldn't catigorise it as "necessary".

So: I would either go for the 2610 at a bargain or the 2720.

You live in the USA, and I don't know about BMW's pricing policy over there, but here in Europe BMW is way overpriced compared to Garmin units.

What is more, here in Europe you can get the 2610 with an extra unit that lets you handle zooming in and out and some other functions with your gloves on. That is an extra BMW doesn't offer (at least not with the zooming)
I'll attach a picture of my setup to show it.

Cheers,

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4794.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1270  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 4:49 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPost
What is more, here in Europe you can get the 2610 with an extra unit that lets you handle zooming in and out and some other functions with your gloves on.
Cheers,

Peter
Peter - I assume thats a Perfect Pilot attached to your Garmin? How is it working out so far for you?

- Although currently fiddling about with an iQue, I think the 2610 + Pilot makes a good value proposition as opposed to BMW branded or other brands etc. Would love to be able to zoom in/out with a gloved hand.

- ebill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 6:11 am
Addict

garmin or tomtom?

wait.......all the talk about garmin. look at tomtom rider. on web in the $700 range. monthly service for traffic and weather. i'm getting one next month, will let u know.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPost
Hi there,

What is more, here in Europe you can get the 2610 with an extra unit that lets you handle zooming in and out and some other functions with your gloves on. That is an extra BMW doesn't offer (at least not with the zooming)
I'll attach a picture of my setup to show it.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, that's a nice setup. What type of mount are you using with the 2610??
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 1:06 am

TomTom Rider vs Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
wait.......all the talk about garmin. look at tomtom rider. on web in the $700 range. monthly service for traffic and weather. i'm getting one next month, will let u know.
Hi Bill,

Tom Tom rider being a Dutch product I could be chauvinistic about it, but I prefer realism every time. So: TomTom is a great navigation system for getting from A to B, as is Garmin. The newest Tom Tom has a few extra's (some of them with a subscription price), that of course Garmin in due course will also offer, such is the way it goes.
But the point I would like to make is this: Garmin comes with MapSource PC-map-software (here with entire Western Europe), that allows you to make eleborate routes from A through C, D, E and the entire alphabet all the way to Z. Make routes and changing them is childsplay. When satisfied with your route, you download it to your Garmin GPS unit, and off you go.
This realisation that motortrips often do no have the purpose of getting just from A to B, but roaming wider, is the big plus of Garmin / Mapsource.

Peter
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 1:13 am

Perfect Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill
Peter - I assume thats a Perfect Pilot attached to your Garmin? How is it working out so far for you?

- Although currently fiddling about with an iQue, I think the 2610 + Pilot makes a good value proposition as opposed to BMW branded or other brands etc. Would love to be able to zoom in/out with a gloved hand.

- ebill
It is indeed the Perfect Pilot.
It is working out fine, wouldn't go without it. The only really important function you use all the time on the Perfect Pilot is the zoom in - zoom out function. To do that on the GPS unit itself is cumbersome with your gloves on, especially while riding.

I would certainly recommend it!

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode