Bought the Garmin 2730 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:05 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Bought the Garmin 2730

Just did the deed. $942.90 shipped. Got it on Ebay. This will be my first GPS for street nav. I'll post my thoughts after I've had it for a short while. I plan on putting it in the car at first so as to learn quicker.

I thank all who posted here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Woohoo, Pete! Congrats.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Pete,

Do post up all of your thoughts....this is defintely on my very short list of desirable units!

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:30 am

It looks like the 2730 has an internal hard drive. Unless it has been improved, the hard drive set-up is not good for a MC application. The vibrations of the bike have caused earlier units (I believe it is the 2620) to become unusable. The older 2610 uses flash card memory which does not have this inherent problem. That said, the features of the 2730 are impressive as is the 3D mapping - very cool as compared to the old display. I hope Garmin fixed the earlier hard drive problem so this unit is able to work on a bike. Let us know how it goes.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:59 am
Addict

Thumbs down Vibration

I have a 2610 and road vibration has caused the card to come loose, ever so slightly, twice. This resulted in the unit not functioning. I had to pull over and reseat the card on those occassions.

Now if vibration can cause that to happen on a 2610, I wonder what the units with harddrives are going through. Too high a risk for me to consider a GPS with a harddrive.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 1:25 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi21
It looks like the 2730 has an internal hard drive. Unless it has been improved, the hard drive set-up is not good for a MC application. The vibrations of the bike have caused earlier units (I believe it is the 2620) to become unusable. The older 2610 uses flash card memory which does not have this inherent problem. That said, the features of the 2730 are impressive as is the 3D mapping - very cool as compared to the old display. I hope Garmin fixed the earlier hard drive problem so this unit is able to work on a bike. Let us know how it goes.
From the Garmin Web Site :Highly-detailed maps featuring nearly six million points of interest (POIs) throughout the U. S., Canada, and Puerto Rico (destinations like hotels, restaurants, gas stations, and attractions) come pre-loaded on the unitís solid-state memory. If a driver strays off-course, the StreetPilot 2730 automatically recalculates a new route.

Pete

02 Kawasaki KLR 650
00 BMW K12 RS - RED!... (do I have to say it?)
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 1:40 pm

That is great news! Should work better than both the internal hard drive and the flash card memory (I have not experienced Mudbug's problem, but it would piss me off if that ever happened). FYI - The best prices on Garmin GPS that I have been able to find is at www.GPSCity.com - it says the 2730 will be available January 20th.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 2:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

You guys scared me! I just got off the phone with a tech from Garmin. "The 2730 is a solid state, no moving parts, memory card that is not removable"

Pete

02 Kawasaki KLR 650
00 BMW K12 RS - RED!... (do I have to say it?)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Yep, the 2620 was the only hard drive unit in the series...BIG mistake with that one!

The 2720 & 2730 are solid state. See this thread for more details on the 2730.

Randy
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
You guys scared me! I just got off the phone with a tech from Garmin. "The 2730 is a solid state, no moving parts, memory card that is not removable"
Pete,

The RAM mount setup will eliminate almost all vibration. The rubber mounting on both ends solves that problem. In 8000+ miles I've had no problems with my 2610 and vibration.

P.S. PM'd you the parts information.

'08 K1200GT Dark Graphite - Awesome
'04 K1200RS Piedmont Red - Traded

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode