Tom Tom Rider - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 3:27 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Tom Tom Rider

Has anyone out there gotten their hands on a Tom Tom Rider? Several of us are anxious for a product review. The cheapest price I've been able to find for the T/T Rider is $999, with $14 shipping. Has anyone found a cheaper price? If the reviews are good I'm ready to buy.

Thanks........OkeefenokeeJoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:34 pm

This is the first review I've come across.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/tomtom-rider/

It's a great idea. I hope that Garmin and magellan will come out with something in response.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 5:26 pm
Just a user too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlamotte
It's a great idea. I hope that Garmin and magellan will come out with something in response.
What do you mean?

You don't feel that the 2730 is a competitive model? What features does it have that make it different to you? I am asking this sincerely, not trying to defend Garmin.

Randy

2004 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue "Zebra"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 5:55 pm

I'm not trying to take away from any GPS thats out there. There are great units.

I'm just saying that it seems like this Rider is the first one made (or at least marketed) for bikes. I'd love to get a GPS, but I'd be too worried about frying its innards to pop a $1k unit on my bars and ride off into the rain unless it's a dedicated outdoor h20-proof unit. The marine ones are as big as TVs and the outdoor hiking ones have a display the size of a digital watch. I think this one's a nice size and would like to see the other brands come out with something similar.

Of course, now that I think about it I should have checked. Is the 2730 waterproof?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 7:24 pm

I'll stick with the Garmin 2610. Uses flash memory, has a certain degree of weather resistence and it can be purchaed new from walmart.com for $525.00.

DaMu
Houston, TX
04 K1200GT Grey Green
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 1:11 am

TOMTOM RIDER: no Mapsource PC-software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe
Has anyone out there gotten their hands on a Tom Tom Rider? Several of us are anxious for a product review. The cheapest price I've been able to find for the T/T Rider is $999, with $14 shipping. Has anyone found a cheaper price? If the reviews are good I'm ready to buy.

Thanks........OkeefenokeeJoe
Hi!

I posted before about the Garmin 2610 vs TomTom Rider. Don't know how it is in the US, but THE big plus of Garmin and the 2610 is, that at least here in Europe you get the unit in a package with PC software of Navteq / Mapsource. If you use your GPS just moving from A to B and back again, almost any GPS will do. But if you enjoy creating elaborate routes from A through the alphabet back to A again: Mapsource on your PC is a almost perfect tool.
When finished with designing your route on your 17 or 19 inch screen, you simply download it to the Garmin unit, and off you go.

At least here in Europe the TTR is not sold with Mapsource or equivalent software.

Cheers,

Peter
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 1:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMu
I'll stick with the Garmin 2610. Uses flash memory, has a certain degree of weather resistence and it can be purchaed new from walmart.com for $525.00.
I've been using the 2610 for almost a year now and have been riding it in blistering heat and sunshine and in driving rain and even snow: "a certain degree of weather resistance" is, as far as my experience goes, an understatement: the unit performs faultlessly under any of these conditions.

Peter
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:55 am
Noob

TomTom Rider

I've got a Tom Tom Rider & generally am pleased with it.

Bluetooth connection to the helmet is ok (could do with a little more volume) & the mobile phone connection is great.

My only problem is that one of my bikes is a K1200RS & the 'fit any bike brackets' have obviously never been designed with a K in mind. Currently, I have fixed the small handlebar clip to the left hand indicator nacelle, but this leaves the screen a bit too far away.

Anyone come up with any better fixing ideas yet ???
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:53 pm
Just a user too!

The entire Garmin 2xxx line from the now discontinued 2610 - the brand new 2730 meet the same waterproof specs of the TomTom and the marine units. The 27xx series share the newer, sun-bright high resolution screens.

The 2610 is what BMW uses as the base unit for the NavII and NavII+ which are have been marketed for motorcycles for years.

The TomTom is definitely on my short list. On paper it fails since it is not compatible with PC software for route planning and/or saving like the Garmins (as per other post), but, IF the GUI is superior that may not be as important to me.

I would love to spend some time with the TomTom Rider, the Garmin 2730 and the Garmin 376c and determine what I want. I have not found a local dealer who has them side-by-side....maybe at a rally??

Randy

2004 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue "Zebra"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode