Bmw Gps - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Bmw Gps

I'm confused: is there a difference between the BMW Navigator II and the BMW Navigator II Plus???? Dealer seems confused too......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:03 pm
Enthusiast

BMW Navigator II Plus is updated name for new model

Ah... BMW has a nack for naming things (doncha know), the Navigator was replaced by the Navigator II which was updated to Navigator II Plus. Tried a search on their website and didn't find much info on past or current model Navigator. I'll have to read what it says on the box at home. I just got mine and am still familiarizing myself with the fuctions/features.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 6:03 pm

I believe that the BIG difference between the II and the II PlUS is that the plus comes standard with a 2GB Memory card and is PRELOADED with the entire USA and Canada.
The standard Nav II only had 512Mb and wasn't pre-loaded. The 2GB of the Nav II PLus is a good deal.

I just purchased one for my GT and it looks really good. I powered it on and was ready to go right out of the box. No map downloading needed. Really nice!

I like the BMW unit. The extra buttons are cool. Plus all the BMW dealers are on the maps. My 2004 GT was already wired for the unit so I don't even have to pull the bodywork off to install. It came with the mounting bracket for my GT and all the cables that I need for the bike, the car or with an AC adapter in the house. EVen came with the USB cable so I could download all my waypoints.

There is a dealer selling new ones on Ebay for $999. That's where I got mine.

A summary of the key features of the new Navigator II Plus:

comes as standard with a 2 GB compact flash memory card (compared to 512 MB on the Navigator II and 128 MB on the original unit)
the Navigator II Plus can be used immediately (plug and play)
the unique mounting cradle is designed for operation with gloved fingers. The unit can also be removed quickly when leaving your parked machine but can also be secured safely with a special screwdriver
Bluetooth technology available with BMW's System 5 helmet will enable integrated wireless communication of voice directions to the rider (currently in development)
an audio socket also allows voice directions (in a choice of 12 European languages)
navigation includes turn-by-turn route finding with a choice of shortest time, shortest distance or linear distance options
the fast processing speed allows for virtually instant, automatic route calculation whenever the route is left
four trip computers show current, average and maximum speed, elapsed time, time stopped and total time
routes and waypoints can be planned (and stored) on the pc or on the unit and then shared via email with other users
a compass function allows for off-road navigation, or navigation in areas where mapping doesn't exist or is unreliable
the unit is completely portable. It can be used in any vehicle (it comes with a power socket adaptor) or by walkers or cyclists if used with the optional battery pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 5:01 am Thread Starter

thanks....another install question?

What a great help base this forum provides!!! Thanks for the replies......but I do have a question abou the plug and play install? I have a 2004 GT like you....and I was quoted anywhere from 3-5 hrs install ( with bodywork being removed!!) from two dealers at about $80/hr. How "simple" is the install? I'm fairly descent with wrenches as long as no real electrical work has to be done, ie splicing; reading diagrams; adding fuses, etc.......

And, the $999 price is very good...I've seen $1499, less $100 fromBMW and $100 off from one dealer.....still $1299.....plus install...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 6:59 am

Brian,
It's a little cold here in MASS and I don't have a heated garage. I haven't actually done the install yet, HOWEVER, late model GTs and RS's are pre-wired. I shined a flashlight down on the inside left side of the fairing and there is a cable connector tie-wrapped off to the side near the cruise control mechanism. I believe this is the connector for the Nav II. If it is and I am 95% sure that it is, there shouldn't be any reason to pull the body work. All you'll need to do is plug in.
When I get home from work tonight, I'll bring the gps cable down to the bike and make sure it is a match to the connector that I'm seeing.
If your bike has the cable pre-installed it should be a piece of cake to install the Nav II. The mounting bracket is easy and the cable is right there in view and accessable.
If your bike isn't pre-wired, it could take a dealer 2 hours to pull the bodywork and route the cable up under the tank.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 5:18 pm

So I went down to the garage in search of the BMW Nav II power connector.

Here is a photo of the connector. If you are standing on the left side of the bike and look down below the speedo you can see it taped to one of the wiring harnesses. It is the white connector in the center of this photo. Look down past the forks in front of the oil cooler.

I was a little confused at first because it actually takes 2 cables to connected together to hook up the GPS. I was wondering why BMW included two cables!! This is a photo of the harnesses that they give you. The two connectors on the right go to the GPS and BMW cradle. The white connector on the left connects to the connector already on the bike in photo one. There actually is a spare black connector on the harness that BMW has capped off. Maybe that is for a future communications device??

By the way, I checked. I was able to connect the harness without removing any body work.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:55 am Thread Starter

stock prewire for GPS

I found it!!.....my connector is black, not white so I guess I overlooked it at first glance...thanks again for the info....i'm going to try this myself......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode