Garmin Customer Service - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 9:25 am Thread Starter

Smile Garmin Customer Service

My Garmin 665 has been serving me well, but Garmin's customer support is way beyond pitiful. Every time I have called with relatively simple questions they are receiving an unusually high volume of calls - doesn't matter what time of day or what day I called they are receiving an unusually high volume of calls. The auto answering voice told me my wait times would be 30 minutes, but most have well exceeded that. No rocket scientist, but with that track record it seems Garmin's real problem is they haven't been on the phone themselves and haven't bothered to hire sufficient help desk staff.

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:40 am
Enthusiast

You can also get service by submitting your issue online. I've had pretty decent luck with them over the years.

A trick I learned years ago when sending a unit in for service was to ask for an exchange instead. "The unit works good enough and I can't be without it for more than a couple days. Can you send me a replacement and I'll send mine to you as soon as it arrives?". They usually don't have an issue with this. They will charge your card for the full price of the unit until your defective unit arrives at their shop. They then credit you back for the entire amount if its a warranty repair or credit you back for the difference for out of warranty repairs.

The bonus of doing things this way is that you end up with a new unit with all packaging and a new warranty. USUALLY they only ask for the defective GPS to be sent to them so in the case of a ZUMO you end up with a spare motorcycle mount, car mount, etc.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 2:45 pm
WPV
Noob

I am trying to adapt the audio output plug on a Garmin Nav 4 to provide input to another device, hopefully without cutting the wires. I contacted Garmin Support by email with a relatively simple request. I needed a compatible connector to the one already on the Nav 4 audio output lead - or - the identification of the two wires that lead to the plug so that I can make an adapter to convert this to a 1/8" pin plug jack. In so many words, that was my request to Garmin.

Reply: "Thank you for contacting ... Garmin does not have any generic device connections or any wiring diagrams/pin configurations."

I rephrased the question. This time emphasizing the need to have the leads identified without a diagram.

Reply: "...,Garmin will not release any schematics to the general public ... does not want any untrained people working on our proprietary systems."

I rephrased my request. This time I emphasized that I did not want a schematic and that I did not want to work on the system, but wanted to make an adapter and needed the two wires identified as to polarity or as common and output. I also requested that my request be moved to the next level of service assistance.

Reply: "... I am the last level of support for the BMW devices. Once again, Garmin will not release any detailed information on wire or pin identification."

I closed the discussion with a summary of my opinion of Mr He, his support team, and Garmin corporate philosophy.

There you have it. Barry He, the service rep at Garmin at his very finest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode