2610 vs. 2720 vs. 2730 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Cool 2610 vs. 2720 vs. 2730

I have the 2720 ordered and it's backordered until tomorrow, leaving me with time to think.

Maybe I should go with the 2610 and a 1G CF card. Save $200. The UI is supposed to be better on the 26xx series vs. the 27xx series. That's probably more important on a bike than in a car.

Or just "fire all of my guns at once and explode into space" and go with the 2730. It includes the XM traffic feed (as well as the XM radio) That would cost an additional $10/month (traffic feed only) or $17/month (traffic and regular subscription.) In addition, it plays MP3s and has an FM modulator so I could use my MP3 player/FM tuner for a non-tethered total solution. The 2730 goes for $910 - $160 more than the 2720.

In addition to the traffic information, 2730 is supposed to get some sort of "XM WX Weather" but I'm still trying to find out what that really means. While the traffic info is limited to certain markets (And I'm near Chicago, so I'm in a covered area) the weather should have full coverage. And weather info could be particularly useful to motorcyclists.

Decisions... decisions.

-hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:39 pm
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB
I have the 2720 ordered and it's backordered until tomorrow, leaving me with time to think.

Maybe I should go with the 2610 and a 1G CF card. Save $200. The UI is supposed to be better on the 26xx series vs. the 27xx series. That's probably more important on a bike than in a car.

Or just "fire all of my guns at once and explode into space" and go with the 2730. It includes the XM traffic feed (as well as the XM radio) That would cost an additional $10/month (traffic feed only) or $17/month (traffic and regular subscription.) In addition, it plays MP3s and has an FM modulator so I could use my MP3 player/FM tuner for a non-tethered total solution. The 2730 goes for $910 - $160 more than the 2720.

In addition to the traffic information, 2730 is supposed to get some sort of "XM WX Weather" but I'm still trying to find out what that really means. While the traffic info is limited to certain markets (And I'm near Chicago, so I'm in a covered area) the weather should have full coverage. And weather info could be particularly useful to motorcyclists.

Decisions... decisions.

-hank
There's a reason everyone is comparing new GPSs to the 2610. It's the de facto standard. You don't need all that extra crap, anyway. Weather warnings?? Seriously, who needs it? If there's no chance of ice on the road, pack the gear you might need and ride. We are outside afterall, just look around - the weather is generally fairly obvious.

When it can CONTROL the weather, then I'll get one. I'd even pay a $10 monthly fee to make the rain stop as I ride into an area. But I'm not going to not ride, just because it might rain somewhere.

The 2610 is a steal at under $500 now.

(Is "the de facto" redundant?)

Matt McCabe
06 R1200GS Adv
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2006, 8:54 pm
Addict

Explode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB

Decisions... decisions.

-hank
I say for $160.00 EXPLODE!
You know you've wasted that much away without thinking before.
You won't regret it.

That 2610 under $500.00 is a deal.

Pete

02 Kawasaki KLR 650
00 BMW K12 RS - RED!... (do I have to say it?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2006, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
I say for $160.00 EXPLODE!
You know you've wasted that much away without thinking before.
You won't regret it.
And I would have!

But the vendor (GPS City) shipped today before I could change the order.
Quote:
That 2610 under $500.00 is a deal.
Well, That's the other thing. That's what I was going to get at first and then I talked myself into the 2720 for an extra $150 (allowing $100 for a 2GB CF card.)

I'm sure I'll be happy with the 2720 and I'll have it in my hot little hands Monday. Or maybe Friday if FedEx delivers a day ahead of estimate.

thanks,
hank
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:19 pm
Addict

My 2730 just arrived at the door. Think I'll put it in the car and go for a ride. Would take the bike but it's pouring buckets.

I'm sure you'll love your new toy. A least you got off the potty and made a decision. Congratulations.

Pete

02 Kawasaki KLR 650
00 BMW K12 RS - RED!... (do I have to say it?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode